Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Does the government want more intelligent footballers?

Recommended Posts

If I look at the forthcoming points based immigration scheme:

 

 

82AF7DF3-3AFF-42A7-996D-6199B6C59114.jpeg
 

it seems unless any foreign footballer has a PhD, or speaks good English, they ain’t coming. How are clubs going to get round this?

Edited by Nuff Said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id say that when you're earning 25k+ a week and not a year, theyll behappy enough to let you pay tax on it and stay.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can guarantee football will be exempt from these rules, farmers are finding it tough enough so I hope the shortfall in farm workers is made from those lazy **** Brits!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Indy said:

You can guarantee football will be exempt from these rules, farmers are finding it tough enough so I hope the shortfall in farm workers is made from those lazy **** Brits!

I can’t help thinking this will come back to bite the government. Unintended consequences and all that. My mum has has been in a couple of care homes and if you removed the immigrant workers, they would be empty. Then there’s farming like you say, and those Starbucks and Costas aren’t going to make themselves.

 

BTW, is there any question that if Priti Patel was in Hogwarts, she’d be put in Slytherin?

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wasn't born here I'd be up the creek without a paddle...

I hope we have the people to care for the elderly and infirm. Or perhaps they'll make available qualifications in honesty, empathy, kindness and care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If I wasn't born here I'd be up the creek without a paddle...

I hope we have the people to care for the elderly and infirm. Or perhaps they'll make available qualifications in honesty, empathy, kindness and care.

As long as they don’t go looking for those qualities in the government.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps some sitting around the city between visiting the off license could apply for jobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

As long as they don’t go looking for those qualities in the government.

Despite now being labelled as unskilled those qualities aren't found easily.

Especially in the government............

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our priorities are all a bit **** about face really. A bloke that kicks a ball about and earns £25k a week will be welcomed with open arms. A bloke that looks after the sick and elderly but earns £20k a year will be told to sod off.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Lord, talk about an overreaction from the usual suspects 🤪😀

In order to be serious about controlling immigration, there needs to be a cap on the number of workers coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jools said:

Good Lord, talk about an overreaction from the usual suspects 🤪😀

 

Usual reaction from the silent majority too..

What about the inner circle though?

And weren't you one of Cluck's merry purists in a previous incarnation? 

🙃😜 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jools said:

Good Lord, talk about an overreaction from the usual suspects 🤪😀

In order to be serious about controlling immigration, there needs to be a cap on the number of workers coming in.

So you don’t see any problem recruiting foreign players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently

"Foreigners" who are not  EU citizens  need to apply for a work permit to join UK clubs,  "foreigners"  from EU countries do not

English football clubs must have a certain number of UK players which limits the number of "foreigners" in a squad

Missed the thread on here railing against the inequalities of the current situation

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

it seems unless any foreign footballer has a PhD, or speaks good English, they ain’t coming. How are clubs going to get round this?

Good news, the value of Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, McLean and Cantwell has just doubled

Edited by Making Plans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Good Lord, talk about an overreaction from the usual suspects 🤪😀

In order to be serious about controlling immigration, there needs to be a cap on the number of workers coming in.

 

Except as far as I can see this new system does not include a cap on the numbers of immigrants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

 

Except as far as I can see this new system does not include a cap on the numbers of immigrants.

That's why I stated that the usual suspects are overreacting -- The proposed system is almost identical to what friends of mine went through to relocate to Canada twelve years ago -- So what's the big deal?

There needs to be a cap on the numbers of workers coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Herman said:

Our priorities are all a bit **** about face really. A bloke that kicks a ball about and earns £25k a week will be welcomed with open arms. A bloke that looks after the sick and elderly but earns £20k a year will be told to sod off.

The man kicking the ball for 25 K a week will be paying enough tax to employ half a dozen of the others, thankfully.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

BTW, is there any question that if Priti Patel was in Hogwarts, she’d be put in Slytherin?

Don't know, if only because she'd have imprisoned the sorting hat in a bid "to bring power back to the people" before it could make its verdict, before burning it alive.

Edited by Icecream Snow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foreign footballers will easily meet the 70 point requirement.

Shortage area exemptions apply currently to doctors and nurses Amongst others and the MAC can add social care workers if deemed necessary.

It is about time employers paid their staff at an appropriate level rather than relying on low cost imported labour. Equally why is the taxpayer subsidising employer wage costs through working tax credits instead of the employers paying the full wages costs?

it is good to see this government beginning to deliver on the manifesto committments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The man kicking the ball for 25 K a week will be paying enough tax to employ half a dozen of the others, hopefully.

Assuming they're not all involved in Jimmy Carr type tax wheezes.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Foreign footballers will easily meet the 70 point requirement.

I expect so.

Tier 2 visa sponsorship - 20 points.

Skill level - 20 points.

English at required level - 10 points.

Salary - 20 points.

If a player puts in any sort of effort to learn the language before a move you’d expect they’ll be fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a second look at the legislation because it says "Immigration" whereas most footballers are employed on fixed term contracts and are not immigrants seeking UK citizenship,

A Tier 2 UK Employer Visa Sponsorship would from my reading cover the employment of an overseas footballer.

I would also say that in the defence of football it is one of the very very few industries left in the UK that does operate and fund a comprehensive and industry wide apprenticeship scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The man kicking the ball for 25 K a week will be paying enough tax to employ half a dozen of the others, thankfully.

If anyone can be found to take the vacancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Poilcy Statement says; 

 “Under the current immigration rules, there are a range of other immigration routes for specialist occupations, including innovators, ministers of religion, sportspeople and to support the arts. Our broad approach for January 2021 will be to open existing routes that already apply to non-EU citizens, to EU citizens.“

Which seemingly means that all non-British passport holders will be required to get a ‘work permit’ as they do currently. Getting a work permit in football means passing the requirements to get approval from the Governing body i.e. the FA. The FA will work with the Home Office and stakeholders to see whether the current system will be fit for purpose under the new immigration rules. 

The next two transfer windows will seemingly take place under the current rules, so no immediate change in the offing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aggy said:

I expect so.

Tier 2 visa sponsorship - 20 points.

Skill level - 20 points.

English at required level - 10 points.

Salary - 20 points.

If a player puts in any sort of effort to learn the language before a move you’d expect they’ll be fine.

 

Amadou wouldn’t have made it in, nor Bielsa, since they could hardly speak English. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Amadou wouldn’t have made it in, nor Bielsa, since they could hardly speak English. 

Possibly not. But let’s not forget footballers have had work permits denied in the past. I don’t know what the current rules are for non-EU footballers, but I imagine if non-EU footballers can get a visa now then EU footballers will be able to do so in a year’s time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

It is about time employers paid their staff at an appropriate level rather than relying on low cost imported labour

And you really believe  that the Tory government  is all of a sudden gonna become some kind of caring benevolent force? They'll force people  into those same low  paid jobs,  wages will not go up much, if at all. More poverty,  more food banks, more money for the rich.  

Oh how theyve fooled a nation. Turkeys persuaded to vote for Christmas,  Suckers!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×