Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Does the government want more intelligent footballers?

HELLO. I’m home secretary Priti Patel, and soon I’ll start deporting even the white ones. So are you economically inactive and useless? 

Retired
You’ve worked your entire life so it’s time to sit back, relax and sign up for hauling turnips out of the ground or a role in the hospitality industry. I hear old people whining about feeling isolated and unwanted, but I don’t see them working as baristas at Starbucks. 

Student
Many students have part-time jobs during term time and full-time jobs in the holidays. That’s not enough. You’re young. You need to be working at least one full-time and one part-time during term, and two full-times and a part-time in the summer. Don’t make us raise tuition fees again. 

Carer
Caring is a job? P*ss off. If you’re doing it for free – perhaps for an elderly relative or sick child – then you’re hurting yourself and hurting Britain. Stop being so selfish and care for somebody else’s 95-year-old mother for a change. And make sure they pay for it.

Long-term sick
To put it politely, it’s time to either void or vacate the bathroom. A buccaneering, vibrant, low-tax, post-Brexit economy can’t afford passengers. A job at a roadside car wash might kill the seriously ill, but at least you wouldn’t die a burden. I know what I’d choose. 

Other
If you cannot be bothered to specify why you’re economically inactive, then I certainly can’t be bothered to consider your reasons valid. Report to the east coast of Britain. We need untrained people out there on trawlers catching fish and fighting off Spanish fishermen. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

If I look at the forthcoming points based immigration scheme:

82AF7DF3-3AFF-42A7-996D-6199B6C59114.jpeg

it seems unless any foreign footballer has a PhD, or speaks good English, they ain’t coming. How are clubs going to get round this?

Offer of job. 20

Skill level.    20

Salary.          20

That leaves 10 points required. Speaks English to required standard (10 points) presumably means you need to be able to speak English well enough to do your job. Some may disagree but I don't think you need to be able to speak any English to be a footballer. If you don't agree, try watching the interviews on MOTD or reading footballers' posts on social media...... 

Many years ago Dennis Van Wyck told me he'd come to play in England to improve his English. He was surprised to find he had the best English at the club. Nothing much has changed since then, the most intelligent footballers seem to come from outside the UK. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Many years ago Dennis Van Wyck told me he'd come to play in England to improve his English. He was surprised to find he had the best English at the club. Nothing much has changed since then, the most intelligent footballers seem to come from outside the UK. 

This^^^  Unfortunately this is true, but it is a joy to hear some foreign players come to England and express themselves so well in the English language.  Hopefully they show some of ours up in how to speak well and that it rubs off on to our players.  Quite shameful really, but that is how it seems to be.

Same as when the National Anthem is played at England games they stand their like it is in a foreign language. Comical to see their mouths moving but nothing coming out. Guess if they set it to rap music there could be more response. Sad really

25 minutes ago, daly said:

Same as when the National Anthem is played at England games they stand their like it is in a foreign language. Comical to see their mouths moving but nothing coming out. Guess if they set it to rap music there could be more response. Sad really

This is better...

What you reckon Daly?

3 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

HELLO. I’m home secretary Priti Patel, and soon I’ll start deporting even the white ones. So are you economically inactive and useless? 

Retired
You’ve worked your entire life so it’s time to sit back, relax and sign up for hauling turnips out of the ground or a role in the hospitality industry. I hear old people whining about feeling isolated and unwanted, but I don’t see them working as baristas at Starbucks. 

Student
Many students have part-time jobs during term time and full-time jobs in the holidays. That’s not enough. You’re young. You need to be working at least one full-time and one part-time during term, and two full-times and a part-time in the summer. Don’t make us raise tuition fees again. 

Carer
Caring is a job? P*ss off. If you’re doing it for free – perhaps for an elderly relative or sick child – then you’re hurting yourself and hurting Britain. Stop being so selfish and care for somebody else’s 95-year-old mother for a change. And make sure they pay for it.

Long-term sick
To put it politely, it’s time to either void or vacate the bathroom. A buccaneering, vibrant, low-tax, post-Brexit economy can’t afford passengers. A job at a roadside car wash might kill the seriously ill, but at least you wouldn’t die a burden. I know what I’d choose. 

Other
If you cannot be bothered to specify why you’re economically inactive, then I certainly can’t be bothered to consider your reasons valid. Report to the east coast of Britain. We need untrained people out there on trawlers catching fish and fighting off Spanish fishermen. 

A government implementing a manifesto policy? Utterly outrageous, Doing what it said it would do,

Carry on remoaning.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This is better...

What you reckon Daly?

Perhaps Meghan can can have word with The Queen

58 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

A government implementing a manifesto policy? Utterly outrageous, Doing what it said it would do,

Carry on remoaning.

There manifesto stinks. There are numerous horrible policies Tory voters love, however none of them are particularly feasible.

The original post seems to have moved on!  If we want to feel like a united country it would help if England players didn't line up for the national anthem as 6 white players next to 5 white players. 

It would also help if we had a national anthem that is just that rather than a homage to the Royal Family. An anthem that reflects a diverse nationality rather than a song about a Queen or King who have no interest in sport whatsoever. 

I have seen players representing other countries in tears during their national anthem at the world cup. I've never seen the England team react like that. 

Dylan lights the fuse and goes to hide behind the settee...... 

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

There manifesto stinks. There are numerous horrible policies Tory voters love, however none of them are particularly feasible.

Another horrible policy is to spend more on schools. Let’s hope this will result in more people knowing the difference between there and their. 🙂

• Haha 1

Oh good. This was always going to quickly stop being about incoming footballers and I think OP must have known that.

As the 10 points for speaking English is mandatory, the rest of the points work themselves out for footballers. It's a non-question.

But please, don't let reasonable sense stop this thread becoming a fight about Brexit, immigration and general politics. Because that's just going to happen.

I'm so glad another one of these started. I for one was taking for granted being able to pretend the Brexit thread, and others, didn't exist to be fair. 

Entirely unrelated, but any chance of an 'ignore thread' option Pete? Pretty please?

On 19/02/2020 at 09:07, Nuff Said said:

If I look at the forthcoming points based immigration scheme:

82AF7DF3-3AFF-42A7-996D-6199B6C59114.jpeg

Having a “shortage occupation” category blows a massive hole in this proposed process and will inevitably lead to large scale corruption - want a favorable ruling, just donate to this political fund... or release an appropriately fawning press release praising Gov policies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The original post seems to have moved on!  If we want to feel like a united country it would help if England players didn't line up for the national anthem as 6 white players next to 5 white players. 

It would also help if we had a national anthem that is just that rather than a homage to the Royal Family. An anthem that reflects a diverse nationality rather than a song about a Queen or King who have no interest in sport whatsoever. 

I have seen players representing other countries in tears during their national anthem at the world cup. I've never seen the England team react like that. 

Can’t remember the last time having 6 white players lining up next to 5 white players as you put it. Perhaps you would prefer our anthem to be “”The Red Flag “”

11 minutes ago, daly said:

Can’t remember the last time having 6 white players lining up next to 5 white players as you put it. Perhaps you would prefer our anthem to be “”The Red Flag “”

In virtually every England game I have watched over the last few years the white players are at one end of the line with the black players at the other end. Seems a shame to me as I think both black and white players should be trying to set an example and try to integrate a bit!

As for our so called national anthem, you seem to be trying to put political words in my mouth. It's not a National anthem or even an English anthem.  Our football team should follow the example of the other countries of the United Kingdom and chose an anthem about our country. I am intensely proud of my country and would love to have an anthem to reflect that feeling. 

It really doesn't matter, but God Save The Queen/King is a dirge of a tune with infantile lyrics. I Vow To thee My Country would be an improvement from both points of view.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It really doesn't matter, but God Save The Queen/King is a dirge of a tune with infantile lyrics. I Vow To thee My Country would be an improvement from both points of view.

I'd go for that as an anthem. I don't agree that it doesn't matter though. International football matches are won and lost by small margins and we should seek every advantage. I'm sure, for example, that the French are more inspired by La Marseillaise than our players are by a song about a Queen who isn't even watching. 

If you want evidence of the effect an anthem can have look at this. I'm not Welsh but I must admit it's amazing 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Oh good. This was always going to quickly stop being about incoming footballers and I think OP must have known that.

As the 10 points for speaking English is mandatory, the rest of the points work themselves out for footballers. It's a non-question.

But please, don't let reasonable sense stop this thread becoming a fight about Brexit, immigration and general politics. Because that's just going to happen.

I'm so glad another one of these started. I for one was taking for granted being able to pretend the Brexit thread, and others, didn't exist to be fair. 

Entirely unrelated, but any chance of an 'ignore thread' option Pete? Pretty please?

I’m more than ready to criticise the current government, there’s so much to go at it’s a little depressing, especially when you consider the size of their majority and the effects of Cummings’ cull of any independent thinkers. But I hadn’t realised the ‘English speaking’ requirement was mandatory, so there was a genuine question there. But as you say, that pretty much sorts 70 points (why seventy and not 7 BTW, every score is divisible by 10?) as long as football clubs are recognised as approved sponsors.

Edited by Nuff Said

18 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

You may well be right but I'm not sure about 70 points being straightforward for footballers if they don't speak English. Most do, but some don't. I've looked everywhere to try to find out what 'speaks English at the required level' means but I can't find a definitive answer. I can see where the other 60 points come from but struggle to see the final 10 required 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

**** Pistols - God Save The Queen.....

God save the Queen 

The fascist regime

They made you a moron

A potential H bomb. 

Could have been written this year, not 40 odd years ago. 

On 20/02/2020 at 08:46, wcorkcanary said:

And you really believe  that the Tory government  is all of a sudden gonna become some kind of caring benevolent force? They'll force people  into those same low  paid jobs,  wages will not go up much, if at all. More poverty,  more food banks, more money for the rich.  

Oh how theyve fooled a nation. Turkeys persuaded to vote for Christmas,  Suckers!!!!!

Idiot.

20 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

A national anthem like - Deutschland uber alles?

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You may well be right but I'm not sure about 70 points being straightforward for footballers if they don't speak English. Most do, but some don't. I've looked everywhere to try to find out what 'speaks English at the required level' means but I can't find a definitive answer. I can see where the other 60 points come from but struggle to see the final 10 required 

For non-EU visas that have an English level requirement there is a recognised level known as A1 that requires a basic understanding of questions such as asking for directions, describing your job or a hobby. This is the level for first time entry. 

Some longer-term visa stays require a recognised level known as B1 which requires a basic understanding of verb tenses. I've seen the tests. The tests are not particularly difficult and six months of study from scratch would see most people pass.

For educational visas to enter university, a higher level than B1 is required.