Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Wolves

2 hours ago, Keith Scott said:

This is Daniel Farke we're talking about. You can 100% guarantee he will start the same 11 against Wolves that put in a 'brave' performance against Liverpool unless his hand is forced. He never changes and it will cost us again. Buendia will be on the bench and only come on if and when Wolves go 1 or 2 up. Same story every week. 

Big Keith Scott. 

Oh the irony....................

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

A bit more than that Rolf. He was asked in a radio interview whether he thought of himself as a central defender or a midfielder. Godfrey burst out laughing - when he stopped he said he couldn't understand why anybody these days thought of him as a midfielder. 

Because he isn't the world's best CB. We might love him but our defensive record says it can't all be down to the rest of the defence. I do wonder why we think Aarons, Godfey and Lewis must be worth a bundle. Together, they aren't that good. IMO Krul has been the real standout as a defender.

We need someone to be more mobile and better in the air as a holding midfield player. I just happen to think Godfey could suit that bill.

I'm  not sure Godfrey is the answer but your general point "I do wonder why we think Aarons, Godfey and Lewis must be worth a bundle" which I would extend to everybody is the usual 'fans' delusion. Most of our players are 'good' but none it seems are the complete EPL player.  We 'big' too many up - and yes sometimes have scapegoats (Hanley early on although he has been one of our best players recently). Some have a high values because of perceived future (not today) 'potential'

The team to be successful has to be greater than the sum of its parts - and this is what Farke has really failed to achieve this year. As noted earlier - I would likely bench Pukki - yes a favourite but cold analysis say he's not taking his chances recently. I refuse to have anybody beyond criticism or a 'must start'. Performance, performance and performance. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

So if I'm NCFC manager, this is what I would do. Play 3 at the back. Ask Vrancic and MacLean to find quick passes forward and just let the 3 up front to work closer than normal to receive the ball, with only one wing back pushing on at a time, the other rotating in.. but what do I know! None of us are right cause if we did know we would quit our jobs and get on the career path to our dream job that Daniel currently has! 

Krul

Hanley Zimmermann Godfrey

Lewis Aarons (wing backs) 

Vrancic Maclean

Cantwell Pukki Buendia

41 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

A bit more than that Rolf. He was asked in a radio interview whether he thought of himself as a central defender or a midfielder. Godfrey burst out laughing - when he stopped he said he couldn't understand why anybody these days thought of him as a midfielder. 

Because he isn't the world's best CB. We might love him but our defensive record says it can't all be down to the rest of the defence. I do wonder why we think Aarons, Godfey and Lewis must be worth a bundle. Together, they aren't that good. IMO Krul has been the real standout as a defender.

We need someone to be more mobile and better in the air as a holding midfield player. I just happen to think Godfey could suit that bill.

I really don't get your point. No, he's not the world's best CB, but there's only one person out of the 7 billion people on planet earth who is. 

Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis are worth a bundle because they are superb young players who are already playing week in, week out in the most competitive League in the world. Godfrey has already captained England U21s and Aarons has excelled when he's played for England U21s. Lewis is already a seasoned full international.  I've replied on another thread lampooning Adam Webster. He went from Bristol City to Brighton (having never played Premier League football) for £20 million. That's the market these days. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I know I'll get stick for this, troll allegations etc etc, but do you know what? I don't care.  It is jiust my opinion and what I think - and I would be delighted if people could stick to the subject of what team they would like to see.

Krul

Aarons  Zimmermann Hanley Lewis

Rupp  Tettey   Vrancic

Duda  Pukki

Drmic

I could agree that Maclean could play in the Vrancic position, especially if Traore plays, but would prefer Vrancic - would even consider Godfrey there specifically to counter Traore. Pukki can play very well in the position off a main striker and has played there many times during his career - and it relieves the pressure on him a bit with a striker in front of him. 

Wait, what?

Ok, so 'sticking to the subject', you'd drop one of our brightest young talents, a player who is our 2nd top scorer, fresh from winning MOTM against the champions elect?!

Not only this, but you don't even address why

Pretty much every other post on here has Todd in the team, most with Mario too...

Now, I myself just dont view you as a troll LDC, certainly not in the way i see trolls on here. But seriously, stuff like this makes it really easy to see why some think you are.

And as you say, you already knew you'd get stick for it, I would dare say you're baiting a little.

On occasion I've enjoyed your optimism, I may not have always agreed but I've defended your sunny outlook many times, but reading your posts recently it's becoming harder, I just think you've tilted a bit chap.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

If you accept that Traore is Wolves' most dangerous attacker, then it makes sense to have a plan to counter him.

Todd was engaging him early in the home games earlier this season and this helped to prevent Traore getting into his stride and becoming a major influence.  Even more importantly, when Traore was playing for Middlesbrough last year, Jamal handed him brilliantly and largely snuffed out his threat. Therefore it would make no sense at all to break up the Jamal / Todd combo on the left.

In other areas of the pitch, there is a good argument to restore Emi, based on the fact that in the Autumn when he was dropped and then bought back into the side he responded with some much-improved performances. Hopefully. history repeats itself. We need some heroes to emerge in the final furlong of the season. 

9 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Wait, what?

Ok, so 'sticking to the subject', you'd drop one of our brightest young talents, a player who is our 2nd top scorer, fresh from winning MOTM against the champions elect?!  Not only this, but you don't even address why

Pretty much every other post on here has Todd in the team, most with Mario too...

Now, I myself just dont view you as a troll LDC, certainly not in the way i see trolls on here. But seriously, stuff like this makes it really easy to see why some think you are.

And as you say, you already knew you'd get stick for it, I would dare say you're baiting a little.

On occasion I've enjoyed your optimism, I may not have always agreed but I've defended your sunny outlook many times, but reading your posts recently it's becoming harder, I just think you've tilted a bit chap.

I am still of the opinion we can get up the table FD, it's just that I think for all the hype, Buendia and Cantwell are not effective enough......Buendia had not scored this season,  Cantwell has not scored for quite a while and rarely makes penetrating passes or rarely gets into good shooting positions - and the number 10 position, whoever is playing it has not scored either - and we need goals. 

Put simply I would like to see a change at the start of a match - switch it around a little.  If it doen't work, we have those that I have left out on the bench who could come on.   Pukki is a great hold up player and excellent playing off another striker - he's been doing it for years - so I would keep him on, taking the pressure off him a bit with another striker.

Not quite sure what you mean by "tilted" but I do want us to stay up and I always try to see through hype when I see it and make judgements on that.  I am well aware that Buendia creates chances and that Cantwell has scored goals earlier in the season.....but that is not enough if they are not actually scoring now - and they aren't. 

We did look brilliant without either of them against Burnley, so we are not reliant on them - we have plenty of good players - and we are not scoring in matches.  I fully support Farke in whatever he does, but I still have opinions - and really I think the crunch has come and that the team needs to start delivering.  I think I will get more frustrated if we play the same kind of team at Wolves, look great and lose by the odd goal......it's been happening for a long time now - and it is only a penalty against Bnmth that got us a win against them.  

If the team stays roughly as it is and we win against Wolves, I will happily say I was wrong to question the team selection, after all, we have been so close to scoring on so many occasions, but we need to win now, there is very little margin for not winning matches if we want to stay up.  I do not want to be the best team ever to be botom of the table - I want them to succeed.

9 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Wait, what?

Ok, so 'sticking to the subject', you'd drop one of our brightest young talents, a player who is our 2nd top scorer, fresh from winning MOTM against the champions elect?!

Not only this, but you don't even address why

Yeah, but his hair... And gloves...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Cantwell has not scored for quite a while and rarely makes penetrating passes or rarely gets into good shooting positions

Cantwell has the second most shots per game and the third most key passes a game.

49 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I am well aware that Buendia creates chances and that Cantwell has scored goals earlier in the season.....but that is not enough if they are not actually scoring now - and they aren't. 

Nobody is. The XI you picked has, outside of Pukki, scored a sum total of 3 goals all season.

Even worse, outside of Pukki that XI has 2 assists all season.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Cantwell has the second most shots per game and the third most key passes a game.

Nobody is. The XI you picked has, outside of Pukki, scored a sum total of 3 goals all season.

Even worse, outside of Pukki that XI has 2 assists all season.

It's about finding a winning formula - one that scores goals. The only stat that matters is whether we score more goals than the opposition and at the moment we aren't.  If the ones in the team can't do it then someone else needs to be given a go. 

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's about finding a winning formula - one that scores goals. The only stat that matters is whether we score more goals than the opposition and at the moment we aren't.  If the ones in the team can't do it then someone else needs to be given a go. 

On the face of it , you make very good points Lakeyo.

Except the fact that beyond say 13 or 14 players, we just dont have the quality in depth. I have no problem with Drmic being given a bit more game time, Teemu does look a little jaded at the moment. Agree Vrancic is a candidate for adding  his quality deliveries.

Argos however , has a decision making problem, to my eye he is just not a premier league quality winger, fine for the Champs, but a level higher, nah. Having coached many teenagers, including wingers, i know that some will 'get it' some wont. As the bar of quality is raised, some just cant rise to that level. If Hernandez had shown any real improvement in this topic of his game then we would have seen more of him already. At the moment , he's a 'sling him on , see if he can do something in the last few minutes' type of player. Maybe we'll see him in conjunction with Lewis as they must have built an understanding last season, but i fully see why he hasnt featured more.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

But then why would you drop the only ones who have shown they can do it this season? Yes we need to score more goals but dropping the only midfielder who has got more than one goal this season is counterproductive. Similarly the last two games we've not scored and Buendia hasn't started. So why keep Duda who has offered very little but bench Emi? 

• Like 1

PLEASE!!!!! Someone has to make this point - making substitutions is not a guarantee of breathing new life into the side. This season the reverse has tended to be true. Substitutions have done little to lift the side and on many occasions have seen performances peter out and end in defeat. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Pugin said:

PLEASE!!!!! Someone has to make this point - making substitutions is not a guarantee of breathing new life into the side. This season the reverse has tended to be true. Substitutions have done little to lift the side and on many occasions have seen performances peter out and end in defeat. 

😂😂😂Oh brilliant, what do you suggest then. Not to make any changes or subs at all.

17 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Very difficult to make an impact when (a) we're already losing and (b) when the subs get 10 minutes if they're lucky.

Usually it's both of those.

• Like 1

Krul 

Aarons   Godfrey  Hanley   Lewis 

Vrancic  Mclean  

Bunedia    Duda   Hernandez 

Pukki 

Really bad news regarding Byram. A lot has been made of Hanley's influence recently, and rightly so, with a clear defensive improvement since his return to the side. But I think Byram has been a big part of this too. 

Above is the side I'd like to see, but I can't see Farke changing the side, except Lewis for Byram. 

2 hours ago, Pugin said:

Shame Klopp didn't seek your advice before bringing on Mane. I wish you'd have said something at the time mate.

Krul

Godfrey          Hanley            Zimmermann

Aarons     

Tettey                      Duda

Buendia

Cantwell

Idah

Pukki         

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

38 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Krul

Aarons     

Buendia

Cantwell

Idah

Pukki         

^not this

1 hour ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Krul

Aarons     

Buendia

Cantwell

Idah

Pukki         

I can't even begin to comprehend what you're trying to do with these players or this formation.

28 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I can't even begin to comprehend what you're trying to do with these players or this formation.

3-1-2-1-1-1-1

The most important point is that the formation is fluid.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

Just now, All the Germans said:

No. He's right.

HE certainly isn't.  If nobody ever thought outside the box, nothing new would ever develop and most teams would still be playing very attack minded 4-2-4 formations, like the olden days.

The game has moved way beyond rigid formations.

1 hour ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

3-1-2-1-1-1-1

The most important point is that the formation is fluid.

Looks like the Keystone Cops 11.