Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

We have our right winger, i present to you...

...Andy Hughes!! Regardless of whether or not you think this is a good thing (unlikely) it seems to me this is what NW has in mind.

With Robinson and Etuhu on board, Jarrett back at the club and seemingly staying for now and Saf coming back after the ANC, it seems clear to me that the right sided midfield spot has Hughes'' name on it. Along with MLJ maybe if he ever gets fit and Macca as a stop gap but we know he doesn''t belong there.

If not then a lot of new players (JJ, Etuhu, Hughes) are going to be very frustrated at lack of first team action (JJ already is!) once Robbo and Saf cement the middle two berths as expected. 

It''s not the best situation the manager has landed himself in i have to say. Signing Dickson and Robbo seems like overkill. Even if DE turns out ok, there are going to be some unhappy midielfers kicking around the club.

Hughes could be ok on the right, better than in the middle anyway, and he played well out there on a couple of occasions before the injury (luton springs to mind), plus he links up well with the right back whilst giving him some protection.

[quote user="a1canary"]

...Andy Hughes!! Regardless of whether or not you think this is a good thing (unlikely) it seems to me this is what NW has in mind.

With Robinson and Etuhu on board, Jarrett back at the club and seemingly staying for now and Saf coming back after the ANC, it seems clear to me that the right sided midfield spot has Hughes'' name on it. Along with MLJ maybe if he ever gets fit and Macca as a stop gap but we know he doesn''t belong there.

If not then a lot of new players (JJ, Etuhu, Hughes) are going to be very frustrated at lack of first team action (JJ already is!) once Robbo and Saf cement the middle two berths as expected. 

It''s not the best situation the manager has landed himself in i have to say. Signing Dickson and Robbo seems like overkill. Even if DE turns out ok, there are going to be some unhappy midielfers kicking around the club.

Hughes could be ok on the right, better than in the middle anyway, and he played well out there on a couple of occasions before the injury (luton springs to mind), plus he links up well with the right back whilst giving him some protection.

[/quote]

yeah I think everyone already realises this, also MLJ can play there being a brennan style right full back.  Thats why we would like to see a proper right sider come to the club.  because neither offer any real threat on the right, although as you say at least they will offer defensive cover for the unlucky colin.

[quote user="a1canary"]sorry, i''m a bit slow sometimes!
i do worry about what he''s going to do with all these midfielders though!
[/quote]

I agree with you, I think he has earmarked Hughesy for this position. He just isnt up to the job in a central position and can probably do an ok job on the right.  I wonder once safri is back and robinson in tthe team whom will get the nod out of Etuhu and JJ as a benchman and whom may be left in the changing rooms!!! 

Jarrett has improved somewhat on his return from Plymouth but his card may already be marked in worthys eyes.

its clear that hughes will be playing right midfield in either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.  In a defensive 4-3-3 away from home, imo he''ll do an excellent job as charlie does on the left, becuase this formation plays to their defensive strengths- its not rocket science.  However, going foward and into the final third of the pitch, creatively he and charlie are limited and are not upto playing 4-4-2 - the ability to pass sideways, backwards, or hoof non-threatening balls into the box is not good enough if we''re going to get into the playoffs. Before hughesy got injured in the soton match, i remember he made a final third dash to the barclay end, then stopped, becuase he lacked the idea what to do with the ball, rather as rivers used to.  I lol with my mates, feeling sorry for him really. he''s a trier and admire his enthusiam and determination, but at the end of the day, worthy has to play our squad to their strengths, rather than asking them to do jobs they''re not upto.  average performances will not get us promoted, however much effort is going in.