Sign in to follow this  
Ace123

Home grown players

Just a thought following reading a number of posts on here in respect of likely relegation and exodus of players if/when that happens.

If we do lose Godfrey, Lewis, Aarons & Cantwell, won’t homegrown rules dictate that we will need to shop accordingly and won’t be able to go shopping for cheaper foreign imports?

My other thought is, whilst we may have funds to spend on transfer fees, inevitably high fees lead to high wages and I cannot see us going down that path as it will blow the current salary structure.  

I really do not know what the philosophy will be if what seems to be the inevitable happens.  I just do not see a massive spending spree as some seem to be expecting.  And then we will have the cries of “where has all the money gone”.......

It is certainly something we have to consider.

Say we hypothetically sell Godfrey, Aarons and Cantwell.

That gives us Krul, McGovern, Byram, Hanley Lewis, McCallum, Thompson, Idah (I think he'd be homegrown at this point?) and Morris in the current squad who count as homegrown.

9 players seems like a decent amount but do we really expect McGovern, Thompson and Morris to have much involvement next season? 

So the question is who steps up from the youth teams- Famewo, Mair, Jaiyesimi and Gilmour seem the most likely. But again how much do we expect them to really feature?

One of the things I thought we should have been trying to do this past summer is using the Premier League funds to cherry-pick a couple of homegrown players from the Championship- players like Bradley Dack or Matt Grimes.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

That gives us Krul, McGovern, Byram, Hanley Lewis, McCallum, Thompson, Idah (I think he'd be homegrown at this point?) and Morris in the current squad who count as homegrown.

9 players seems like a decent amount but do we really expect McGovern, Thompson and Morris to have much involvement next season? 

So the question is who steps up from the youth teams- Famewo, Mair, Jaiyesimi and Gilmour seem the most likely. But again how much do we expect them to really feature?

One of the things I thought we should have been trying to do this past summer is using the Premier League funds to cherry-pick a couple of homegrown players from the Championship- players like Bradley Dack or Matt Grimes.

Nobody, but nobody, expected Jamal Lewis to feature at the beginning of the season two seasons ago and nobody, but nobody, expected Max Aarons to feature at the beginning of last season. Josh Martin and Jordan Thomas have been training with the first team this season along with Adam Idah so they are two other possibles. 

And don't forget Sean Raggett - Man of the Match for Pompey last Saturday as they kept yet another clean sheet and carried on their charge up the League - he could be a candidate for a home grown spot in our squad next season as well. 

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Nobody, but nobody, expected Jamal Lewis to feature at the beginning of the season two seasons ago and nobody, but nobody, expected Max Aarons to feature at the beginning of last season. Josh Martin and Jordan Thomas have been training with the first team this season along with Adam Idah so they are two other possibles. 

And don't forget Sean Raggett - Man of the Match for Pompey last Saturday as they kept yet another clean sheet and carried on their charge up the League - he could be a candidate for a home grown spot in our squad next season as well. 

All true.

I just don't want us to be in a situation where we're having to force players onto the bench to meet the quota rather than because we want them on there.

We've also got quite a few others not mentioned who might step up into a squad role from the academy - Gilmour, Josh Martin etc

Just now, kick it off said:

We've also got quite a few others not mentioned who might step up into a squad role from the academy - Gilmour, Josh Martin etc

Not mentioned you say...

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Another point to note here - I don't believe we'd lose all 4 of those mentioned above - Probably 2, maybe 3. So we're probably a bit better off than forecast above.

Who knows. Did anyone say any of our recent crop of youngsters would get to where they are ?. When Aaron’s was thrown in against Ipswich people wondered, but he produced. Were the last 2 years one offs or will the next group be as good ?. Of course when they are introduced ala Cantwell we will be hearing how light weight they are not as good as x was. But of course we are lucky in having a head coach that does not listen to the fans he does what’s best to develop the players.

All true.

I just don't want us to be in a situation where we're having to force players onto the bench to meet the quota rather than because we want them on there.

That was actually happening towards the end of last season IIRC, and we need to avoid it happening again.

The goalkeeping situation will be interesting - Krul is homegrown as he spent three years at Newcastle before the age of 21, but McGovern (formative years in Scotland) and Mair (signed from Aberdeen last summer) do not qualify as homegrown. Oxborough is out of contract in the summer and is playing in the sixth tier, so he can probably be counted out.

Our homegrown players next season would be, as things stand: Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Raggett, McCallum, Godfrey, Lewis, Byram, Thompson, Cantwell, Idah, Morris - plus any youth teamers who make the step up (Famewo, Thomas, Martin, Adshead). That's 12 senior pros, and I'd expect at least two of Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell to be sold.

As we have to name at least seven home-grown players in our squad, it increases the likelihood of the likes of Raggett, Thompson and Idah being part of the squad (although I doubt Morris will make the cut).

A potential 25-man squad could look something like this, although obviously there will be ins and outs over the summer (homegrown players in bold):

GK: Krul, McGovern, Mair [Oxborough gone]
DF: Aarons, Lewis, Byram, Hanley, Godfrey, McCallum, Raggett, Klose, Zimmermann [Heise gone]
MF: Thompson, Cantwell, Tettey, Trybull, Vrancic, McLean, Buendía, Stiepermann, Hernandez, Rupp [Leitner gone]
FW: Pukki, Drmic, Idah [Morris gone]

So there are 11 homegrown players there, but any of Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell or Krul that are sold will need to be replaced with other homegrown players - remember the rules state that we need to have seven homegrown players in every matchday squad of 18, not in our squad of 25, so if we were to replace any top homegrown players that we sell with youth team players, we would likely be significantly weakening the squad.

Edited by Feedthewolf

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

A potential 25-man squad could look something like this, although obviously there will be ins and outs over the summer (homegrown players in bold):

Think I'm right in saying you don't need to name a 25 man squad in the Championship?

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Think I'm right in saying you don't need to name a 25 man squad in the Championship?

No, you don't, but it's a workable number to be going on with. It's unlikely to be more than one or two in either direction, so I just used it as an approximation.

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

No, you don't, but it's a workable number to be going on with. It's unlikely to be more than one or two in either direction, so I just used it as an approximation.

Fair.

I think you're right about the dangers of just assuming players will step up- what happened in the 18 month period that saw Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell all step up to being first-team regulars in a top team in the league is pretty unprecedented and won't be easily recreated. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Fair.

I think you're right about the dangers of just assuming players will step up- what happened in the 18 month period that saw Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell all step up to being first-team regulars in a top team in the league is pretty unprecedented and won't be easily recreated. 

In reality, if you get one youth-academy home-grown player stepping into the first team on a regular basis per season, you're doing a good job. So to expect 3 or 4 is a bit OTT