Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

I actually want us to sell a player

Because if we aren't going to finance a rebuild in the summer then what is the point in coming back up? 

We have to come back up much stronger next time, with more strings to our bow, and we need to invest in a quality striker and a quality Tettey replacement (must get that right this time). 

But it needs us to bring in £5m players, not £500k players, and if it takes selling Max Aarons to Spurs for that to be a possibility then that's unfortunately what we have to do. 

We got out of the Championship with the Maddison money. I hope that if we can recruit well again then we can come back up with a squad capable of staying up, with the Aarons/Godfrey money.

Unfortunately this is probably the reality of our situation, and it could go very wrong as it does depend on us getting recruitment right again. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

42 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Because if we aren't going to finance a rebuild in the summer then what is the point in coming back up? 

We have to come back up much stronger next time, with more strings to our bow, and we need to invest in a quality striker and a quality Tettey replacement (must get that right this time). 

But it needs us to bring in £5m players, not £500k players, and if it takes selling Max Aarons to Spurs for that to be a possibility then that's unfortunately what we have to do. 

We got out of the Championship with the Maddison money. I hope that if we can recruit well again then we can come back up with a squad capable of staying up, with the Aarons/Godfrey money.

Unfortunately this is probably the reality of our situation, and it could go very wrong as it does depend on us getting recruitment right again. 

I wouldn’t worry too much, you won’t be disappointed in the summer.

On relegation day BOD issues statement that we  do not need to sell and we will be in the top 6 come end of next season. In reality  talks are progressing to sell Arrons, Cantwell, Godfrey, and Buendia 

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

A Cantwell sale will fund anything we need. 

Agree with this and a bit of defensive experience wouldn’t go a miss when buying 

4 hours ago, Well b back said:

A Cantwell sale will fund anything we need. 

It would make the Maddison fee seem a drop in the ocean I remember you stating. What’s your guess on a fee, north of £70M with add ons ? 

No offence to Todd, but if you seriously think he is worth £70 million then no wonder football is in a mess. 

35 minutes ago, Herman said:

No offence to Todd, but if you seriously think he is worth £70 million then no wonder football is in a mess. 

Agreed, he has a good season but not a great season and the club would bite anyone’s hand off for £30M.

Definitely, I’d be shocked if we only lose 4 of the obvious 6 in the summer. Cantwell, Buendia Aaron’s and Godfrey to leave for me. If any decent bids came in for Lewis or Pukki (or they ask for transfers) I can see them leaving too.

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We haven’t spent any real money this season, surely we’ve banked enough of the legendary EPL TV money not to need to sell players in the summer?

That maybe so but what if they want to leave and double/treble their wages at the same time.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That maybe so but what if they want to leave and double/treble their wages at the same time.

They should be told they’re under contract and need to stay and get us promoted again, quite frankly given the way they’ve failed to deliver this season (Pukki and Cantwell excepted) none of them have earned a move away.

Maybe it’s my rose-tinted glasses coming through but a lot of these much-vaunted “valuable young talent” simply haven’t delivered on the output he this season and simply don’t deserve to be let go for a massive wage increase and leave us in the brown stuff for another Champs season when they owe the clubs and Farke for showing faith and giving them their EPL break this season and allowing them to showcase their talents against the top teams and players this year.

When we sold Maddison we were forced to sell just to balance the books that season, we were fortunate he came good as a player at the right time.

This year assuming we go down, I'm pretty sure we won't need to sell in the same way.  But some of our players have caught the eye around the Prem - paradoxically, we have more players that would interest other Prem teams than we've had in the past in some years when we've stayed up. 

But we don't need to sell, they're all on long contracts, so people will have to put in chunky bids to persuade us to sell.  I wouldn't be surprised in the current market if we end up selling a couple of players at £30m + in positions where we are comfortable we can replace them.  Which would set us up well for next season and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Not convinced at all about the "general exodus" idea.

Anyone even considering letting Pukki leave the club ought to be relegated to the back corner of the room with a donkey hat on their heads.

There is only one player you can literally build a team around. There is only one player that is an absolute must to keep. Pay him whatever. Promise him whatever. You pair him up with another striker next season to wean yourself from total reliance on him. But until there is any proof whatsoever that Norwich has a way forward that doesn't include him, he must be kept. Keep him on  PL wages, sell an extra player whatever, but he must play for Norwich next season, whether in Champs or PL.

580402468_RelianceontopgoalscorersbyteamGGA.thumb.png.11a3670715883c5981fe2c6cdeb0ff47.png

48 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

They should be told they’re under contract and need to stay and get us promoted again

Yeah, that'll work

All the talk of a rebuild on here following relegation seems rather strange as surely if the best team ever seen currently bottom of the Premier League should stroll back up unless of course the current squad is dismantled due to player sales in the summer ?

Selling a couple of players will not need a rebuild but selling all the assets will.

I think we'll sell 3-4 players.

Lewis

Cantwell

Aarons

Emi

The latter has annoyed me of late with his histrionics...This didn't used to get on my nerves so much but I feel we've got a bit of a Nelson situ on our hands with him. He seems to be about number one and not thinking of the team so much. If he continues with that attitude it's also possible that nobody will want to take him of course!

Plus he went straight down the tunnel after the Liverpool game on Sat and that was pretty ridiculous too.

It’s not about what we are selling but what is coming through the academy to replace them

say we get £25 million for Aaron’s and replace from the academy

jobs a goodun 

I don't think they'll all go, but if we go down and even if most did leave, the team below played brilliant Farkeball against Burnley in the cup and with only one youngster in, so if we did sell four or five of the youngsters, then we still have a good team - and if we keep Pukki too, there is no great issue - and with the prospects of Idah and other youngsters  coming through - and of course new players coming in with the money gained from sales the future looks bright.

Krul

Byram Zimmermann Hanley  Lewis 

Trybull, Vrancic;

Rupp, Stiepermann Hernandez

Drmic

I overheard someone saying the other day... "Lewis has already gone"... This was after the Liverpool game.

I am not sure of the validity of this, of course, but wouldn't surprise me seeing as though we've signed another young LB. The issue then is cover. Well, we've all seen that Byram can play in that position (if Aarons goes, probably get another RB as cover for SB). But his latest injury may force our hand again if we have indeed sold Lewis. Byram has struggled with that type of injury throughout his career so it is a worry.

Edited by BobLoz3

If its to be Championship which looks most likely.  Cantwell can be willingly sold as he is more suited to the PL rather than the more physical Championship provided the fee is acceptable.  Provided Klose can recover fitness his experience would improve us defensively Godfrey may be on his way but feel he is far from being a PL defender.  I can see Emi wanting to leave now Rupp apears in favour which seems ridiculous.  Pukki seems to have lost form and has been sussed with finishing lartely and due to his age will only get bargain bids from likes of PL lesser lights. Max will be on his way maybe to Tottenham, Byram can cover with Rupp also covering at RB.

So rebuilding will be necessary and some will need to be English qualified.  With the fees received recruits will need to be of a quality not recently employed.  Lets hope Webber can do the business. 

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Pukki seems to have lost form and has been sussed with finishing lartely and due to his age will only get bargain bids from likes of PL lesser lights.

It seems people think because he lit Champs on fire and was basically responsible for Norwich ascension, that he'd keep going at same rate. It's almost like people forget it's the Premier League. If Pukki took his "sure chances" (the general wisdom being apparently anything above xG .15), he'd have twice as many goals as Vardy, be worth £200M and Norwich City would be playing in Champions League.

People forget Norwich was robbed of his goal against Tottenham. I'm not the kind of person who'd call a person a lazy bum after he was mugged and didn't have any money. I know most others aren't either. Sometimes we let frustration get the best of us.

Pukki's 4 game moving sum ALT Tottenham.jpg

7 hours ago, Wonder canary said:

Agree with this and a bit of defensive experience wouldn’t go a miss when buying 

Duplicate accounts are not allowed on this forum.

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Definitely, I’d be shocked if we only lose 4 of the obvious 6 in the summer. Cantwell, Buendia Aaron’s and Godfrey to leave for me. If any decent bids came in for Lewis or Pukki (or they ask for transfers) I can see them leaving too.

Yes we're going to hell in a handcart.

Just like when Lewis was the last one worth selling and we couldn't compete with the binners...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It would make the Maddison fee seem a drop in the ocean I remember you stating. What’s your guess on a fee, north of £70M with add ons ? 

I really cannot hazard a guess. He is clearly sort after property. With the rest you see papers linking for instance Aaron’s to Spurs for x. With Cantwell it is the top 6 teams, and it’s not just papers, it’s the managers complimenting him, it’s pundits building him up every week and clearly he is devoted to becoming a top player. Every time you see him play there is something else about him. Does he have weaknesses still, yep, but he clearly works on things. I always thought defensively he was a bit of a luxury until BBC started throwing those stats in Saturday night and he made more tackles than anyone else. Maddison was good but a gamble, he hadn’t done it in the EPL, Cantwell not only has but like I mentioned you can actually see him getting better by the month.

Add to that one huge thing. With no injuries he is likely to score 10 EPL goals this year in a team that is likely to be relegated and playing as a midfielder expected to drop into a defensive position as soon as we lose the ball. On the epl site you can do comparisons, have compared him to Maddison, you can change to the likes of Grealish https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison ( hope that link works ). Put that into context of where Cantwell was 12 months ago and that will tell you why he is such hot property. It also shows how Farke ball is all central and does not use wingers ( but attacking full backs ) and why using the likes of Hernandez in the EPL ( except for short bursts ) does not suit our game. Reckon those who think he is a liability and can’t defend will be astonished when you see the actual stats. I think as fans we tend to remember the worse ( Krul is still remembered for his start with us ) but Cantwell is clearly becoming stronger and stronger.

Anyone who thinks he is not capable in the top clubs I would suggest you rewatch the game on Saturday. That turn in the first half if done by Messi would have been talked about for years. When he started running at players you could see the concern on their faces, even Van Dyck backed off. Of course this is a commentators curse and he will be rubbish on Sunday and everybody will be telling me I don’t know what I am talking about, but all his suitors will know exactly where he is, but more importantly where he is going.

One last point that sort of shows where he is. When you see the MOD interviews they get the biggest stars in front of the cameras, your Vardys, Sterling’s etc. Anyone noticed how Cantwell is suddenly our regular interviewee. 
So back to the question, how much is he worth in the current market, probably £30million, but there is a factor that if you add in a bidding war that goes up. We don’t have to sell so that takes out the drop from the relegation, but it is no secret our players will always be sold if a bid that the club see is at its peak we sell. Grealish and Maddison are being talked about at £80 million and they have already arrived at the level of superstars, whereas Todd still has a little way to go so is worth far less than that.

But of course what this really all proves is how good our coaches ( Farke included ) and our scouting system is. Only 2 seasons ago as fans we were saying ‘ when was the last time we produced a young player ‘ To produce a Maddison, followed by a Cantwell, plus all the others we also know about is some achievement. Is this just a one off couple of seasons where we got lucky or is this something that continues for years to come ? Is it even possibly something that falls apart when Webber leaves or have we even got that sorted ?. Who knows, but over the next few seasons I reckon FCR will remain packed to the rafters.

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes we're going to hell in a handcart.

Just like when Lewis was the last one worth selling and we couldn't compete with the binners...

So how many players do you think will leave if we are relegated ? A riddle and number in it is fine .

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Don’t look at me, this one’s an imposter.

It's obviously Jobsworth with yet another of his alter egos (sigh).