Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Forget how good some of our players are....

.....because we need to start winning matches!!

People on here have been extolling the virtues of some of our players - but in case you hadn't noticed, we are not winning games. I'm fed up with watching us lose, I'm fed up with watching some of our players who have been lauded so highly give the ball away cheaply, throw their hands up in mini traumas, hit the ball off target or not even shoot when they have the chance etc.  I've had enough of Pukki not looking on form and not scoring from outfield play.

So something needs to change. They need to start to deliver, or we should try others in their place.  We have options - very good ones - imo they should be given a chance. The best display of football I have seen from a Norwich side this season was in the cup away at Burnley, play dictated by Vrancic with Hernandez and Drmic lively - loads of chances made, not a Buendia, Cantwell or Pukki needed. Yes I know it was the cup, but those players did enough to show they have quality in spades - and farkeball was much in evidence that day.

Farke talks about players being brave - well maybe he needs to be braver - either the players deliver or changes are made, either before a match - or sooner in a match if things are not working out.   I love him to bits, he is brilliant for us and we play scintilating football, but he is not immune from criticism. The players he is using look good and we get good comments - but they are not delivering wins and goals and we need wins and goals! 

• Like 1

Fair dues LDC. It’s true several of our players have looked good, but nobody looks great. Which is why we won’t be getting massive transfer fees for any of them - at least not yet - until they prove they can overcome these PL level quality limitations. Take Buendia as an example, great assists statistics, but has not scored in the PL. 

Edited by Surfer

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

.....because we need to start winning matches!!

People on here have been extolling the virtues of some of our players - but in case you hadn't noticed, we are not winning games. I'm fed up with watching us lose, I'm fed up with watching some of our players who have been lauded so highly give the ball away cheaply, throw their hands up in mini traumas, hit the ball off target or not even shoot when they have the chance etc.  I've had enough of Pukki not looking on form and not scoring from outfield play.

So something needs to change. They need to start to deliver, or we should try others in their place.  We have options - very good ones - imo they should be given a chance. The best display of football I have seen from a Norwich side this season was in the cup away at Burnley, play dictated by Vrancic with Hernandez and Drmic lively - loads of chances made, not a Buendia, Cantwell or Pukki needed. Yes I know it was the cup, but those players did enough to show they have quality in spades - and farkeball was much in evidence that day.

Farke talks about players being brave - well maybe he needs to be braver - either the players deliver or changes are made, either before a match - or sooner in a match if things are not working out.   I love him to bits, he is brilliant for us and we play scintilating football, but he is not immune from criticism. The players he is using look good and we get good comments - but they are not delivering wins and goals and we need wins and goals! 

Unfortunately we don’t always play Burnley each weekend, and have to play teams like the reigning world champions who obliterated all those wayward terrible Norwich players 0.......1. 

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, Lakey. I’m not sure about wholesale changes but I can see the argument for Drmic etc to get more of a chance if others are out of form, I thought that’s the whole point of a squad after all. 

I’m sick of reading posts like the OP. Where’s the positivity? We can beat anyone in this league with the players we have at our disposal. There’s still enough points left to play for to push for Europa league qualification. Everyone just needs to believe it will happen and it will. This is football, anything can happen. Before this season started I was eyeing up a top 4 finish, I’ll admit that’s now gone but we can still get top 8 if we all believe 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, JF said:

I’m sick of reading posts like the OP. Where’s the positivity? We can beat anyone in this league with the players we have at our disposal. There’s still enough points left to play for to push for Europa league qualification. Everyone just needs to believe it will happen and it will. This is football, anything can happen. Before this season started I was eyeing up a top 4 finish, I’ll admit that’s now gone but we can still get top 8 if we all believe 

Troll post is obvious.

We get that you went to the Cup game at Burnley Lakey - you've told us all, roughly a million times. 

We get that you think Vrancic should be starting you've told us all roughly a million times. We even get that you totally bizarrely think Hernandez should be starting - you've told us all roughly a million times. 

• Like 2

You miserable lot. 

I agree vrancic needs more game time but hernandez is, imo, only good for coming on in the 2nd half and running quick. His final ball is usually poor. 

What happened to the positivity LDC?

I'd love to make a huge compilation of everyone's negative squit at the end of the season when we stay up or, even if we go down. 

3 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

You miserable lot. 

I agree vrancic needs more game time but hernandez is, imo, only good for coming on in the 2nd half and running quick. His final ball is usually poor. 

What happened to the positivity LDC?

I'd love to make a huge compilation of everyone's negative squit at the end of the season when we stay up or, even if we go down. 

It’s generally tradition for fans of the team rock bottom and cut adrift at the foot of the table to be less than happy. We care about our team and are unhappy when they lose. We’ve lost a lot, unhappiness has added up. It’s also very difficult to be positive now that we have an extremely narrow margin to survive, and need almost twice as many wins In our last 13 games as we’ve managed all season.

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We get that you went to the Cup game at Burnley Lakey - you've told us all, roughly a million times. 

We get that you think Vrancic should be starting you've told us all roughly a million times. We even get that you totally bizarrely think Hernandez should be starting - you've told us all roughly a million times. 

Why is it bizarre to want Hernandez starting? I think he should - He always causes the opposition problems and is a fantastic outlet. People say he's hit and miss, but he takes opposition players out of the game which can go unnoticed and therefore uncredited. 

To some degree, I think the OP is correct. I do think we need changes, and a fresh approach. We've been a nearly team for weeks now, I can't see the results changing with the current eleven. Burnley away was a very good performance. It's a risk though, since we are currently competitive and if it went the other way Farke would be slated. I think Farke is a little stuck if I'm honest, and sticking to safe bets. Can't blame him - his reputation is very much still in tact despite the lack of wins. 

Brilliant, so now we need to ditch our players, style and start winning, yet beginning of the season you were confident of top ten even top four!

Once you accept that we came up with a novice manager at this level, a novice young team at this level and no real money to spend, we did well enough to stay competitive, we’ve stuck to our players strengths, the teams style and moved forwards BUT we are just not good enough at this level yet, you can look back and enjoy this season, the small successes, the great style and the learning.....we play each game at a time and if we go down there’s no shame in that with lots of positives to take from this season.

Don’t worry be happy, 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Troll post is obvious.

JF’s post or LDC’s?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Why is it bizarre to want Hernandez starting? I think he should - He always causes the opposition problems and is a fantastic outlet. People say he's hit and miss, but he takes opposition players out of the game which can go unnoticed and therefore uncredited. 

To some degree, I think the OP is correct. I do think we need changes, and a fresh approach. We've been a nearly team for weeks now, I can't see the results changing with the current eleven. Burnley away was a very good performance. It's a risk though, since we are currently competitive and if it went the other way Farke would be slated. I think Farke is a little stuck if I'm honest, and sticking to safe bets. Can't blame him - his reputation is very much still in tact despite the lack of wins. 

It's bizarre because as far as anyone knows you and Lakey are the only people in the universe who think it's a good idea. 

I love Onel just as much as the next Norwich fan. Nobody will ever forget his two goals in that epic comeback against Forest; the Argos thing is quirky and funny; he comes across as a really down to earth and likeable guy and it's great that he's the first Cuban to play and score in the Premier League.....

BUT...... of our regular players last season he and Marco have been the least successful at adapting to the Premier League. 

Lakeys realises he isn’t getting much attention so comes up with a somewhat contrary OP. Gets some bites. That’s the lot of a Football Forum Celebrity 

Nothing  much else to add. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 2

If anyone thinks that Hernandez & Drmic are the answer then they are mistaken.

Vrancic maybe but come on, Hernandez and Drmic are not going to get us out of the sh*te

The one person who needs to change and be brave is Farke.

You don't win games by trying not to lose them for 90 minutes.

43 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's bizarre because as far as anyone knows you and Lakey are the only people in the universe who think it's a good idea. 

I love Onel just as much as the next Norwich fan. Nobody will ever forget his two goals in that epic comeback against Forest; the Argos thing is quirky and funny; he comes across as a really down to earth and likeable guy and it's great that he's the first Cuban to play and score in the Premier League.....

BUT...... of our regular players last season he and Marco have been the least successful at adapting to the Premier League. 

But he missed the start of the season through injury - and hasn't really been given a chance. He started against Sheffield United and was excellent, especially first half. But the next game he was dropped. So how can you accurately judge him as an EPL standard player? Steipermann fair enough, but Hernandez - I don't see how you can. 

11 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Vrancic maybe but come on, Hernandez and Drmic are not going to get us out of the sh*te

Again, I'm struggling to understand the seemingly accepted narrative that Hernandez is not good enough to start Premier League games. 

What a weird response to what is actually quite a heart felt op, once again labelled trolling or being negative. For goodness sakes grow up. It's not such a controversial idea after all. We're not scoring goals in outfield play - and the chief creators/strikers are not doing the business.  So what is the answer?  Replace them with players that have showed they at least as likely to do the business as the ones that have been on the pitch. It's not a negative idea either - it's called being pro-active and quite a positive move to make. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Really? Against Liverpool you want us to open ourselves up and play our championship style attacking football. We saw how that goes when we played at Anfield. Farke is finding a balance and other than Saturday I can’t think of many occasions he’s played ‘try not to lose for 90 minutes’.

That was Hughton football and it’s insulting to Farke to be associated with it, He deserves a lot more respect than that 

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What a weird response to what is actually quite a heart felt op, once again labelled trolling or being negative. For goodness sakes grow up. It's not such a controversial idea after all. We're not scoring goals in outfield play - and the chief creators/strikers are not doing the business.  So what is the answer?  Replace them with players that have showed they at least as likely to do the business as the ones that have been on the pitch. It's not a negative idea either - it's called being pro-active and quite a positive move to make. 

Yeh cause you know better than Farke and his team, so if you really think like this must mean you think Farke is wrong, has been playing the wrong tactics and players and as such should be sacked? 

could it just be our players even our best players aren’t good enough?

Edited by Indy

I just think that there isn’t enough belief we can do it. If there’s one valuable lesson that I’ve taken from this season, it’s that we as fans are largely in control of our teams fate, very little actually rides on management or players. If only the fans believed that we can do it, then we will escape our position in the same way that Leicester did. Leicester showed it’s not impossible because their fans believed it could be done, that belief took them all the way to the title. If we believed enough then why couldn’t we achieve that?

Edited by JF

20 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Again, I'm struggling to understand the seemingly accepted narrative that Hernandez is not good enough to start Premier League games. 

I'll explain.

After watching football for over 60 years I have seen hundreds of wingers like Hernandez.

They can usually run quickly and several of them, including Hernandez, have a decent shot in their locker.

And as far as positives go, that's it.

Most of them, including Hernandez, flatter the deceive most of the time.

They run down the wing at break neck speed and then they haven't go a clue what they are going to do when they get near to the business end of the run.

They have no awareness of where other teammates are and end up either losing the ball or getting rid of it as quickly as possible, usually to an opponent.

Hernandez goes round & round in circles and ends up falling over himself and then looks totally bemused as to why he hasn't won a free kick.

As for his defensive qualities, quite honestly he is a liabilty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

and need almost twice as many wins In our last 13 games as we’ve managed all season.

Whereas what you say is certainly true, CW, the only thing that I thinks wrong with this much used formula to predict the final games outcomes, is that there is no rule book as to when a run of wins, defeats or draws or form/lack of form or good luck/bad luck will come during the season. Just the stats say we’ve won 4 league games this campaign thus far, but it doesn’t necessarily mean we will only be guaranteed to win 2 more in the final third of the season. Granted, we could win no more, shudder the thought, but by the same token, we could find our best form of the season from the Wolves game onwards - there is no way of telling just yet for obvious reasons!

9 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

I'll explain.

After watching football for over 60 years I have seen hundreds of wingers like Hernandez.

They can usually run quickly and several of them, including Hernandez, have a decent shot in their locker.

They run down the wing at break neck speed and then they haven't go a clue what they are going to do when they get near to the business end of the run.

They have no awareness of where other teammates are and end up either losing the ball or getting rid of it as quickly as possible, usually to an opponent.

Hernandez goes round & round in circles and ends up falling over himself and then looks totally bemused as to why he hasn't won a free kick.

I agree no end product and falls over all the time ,it was obvious he was not prem quality and we should have signed someone who was in the summer otbc

17 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

I'll explain.

Love this...

So what, my mum's been watching football for 60 years, doesn't mean your opinion is anymore relevant, credible or carry any weight. 

• Like 1