Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

More points against the top 5...

Mentioned on the MOTD commentary, that we’ve got more points against the top 5 this season than against the other 5 teams in the bottom 6.

I'm sure this is a unique stat forCity in a relegation season (barring a miraculous escape- not given up hope yet). And sums up our season.

for me, this team is capable of playing the best football of any side we’ve had in the Prem this century, but we’re incapable of grinding out results and many  of our good performances have ended in defeats or draws, unlike eg Lambert’s side after promotion. It’s frustrating to say the least.

• Like 3

I don't think that all of those injuries could have helped, even though we had them during the Man City game.

Could be a whole host of reasons. Do we set up more solid against bigger sides? Are we just more switched on? Do they play less physically than sides lower down the leagues? Probably a bit of all of the above.

That’s why any ongoing talk of us having a chance still is very very hopeful (at best). We have got a lot of sides down and around us still to play, so that does give us a bit of a chance. Problem is, our record against these sides isn’t great. 

The reason we have more points against the top 5 is that we've yet to face many of our relegation competitors this spring. I expect us to get quite a few points out of them. :classic_cool:

14 hours ago, Upo said:

The reason we have more points against the top 5 is that we've yet to face many of our relegation competitors this spring. I expect us to get quite a few points out of them. :classic_cool:

No this is wrong, at the moment we've played  the top & bottom sides the same number of times - we've played all teams in the league once plus the second fixture against two from each of the top 5 & bottom 6 (Liverpool, Spurs, Villa, Bournemouth), so the number of fixtures at this point is exactly the same.

I'd be interested to compare it to previous seasons, but I'm pretty sure if we look back at City's Prem campaigns since Worthy's season, we'd have got more points against the bottom teams in all of them.

53 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

No this is wrong, at the moment we've played  the top & bottom sides the same number of times - we've played all teams in the league once plus the second fixture against two from each of the top 5 & bottom 6 (Liverpool, Spurs, Villa, Bournemouth), so the number of fixtures at this point is exactly the same.

I'd be interested to compare it to previous seasons, but I'm pretty sure if we look back at City's Prem campaigns since Worthy's season, we'd have got more points against the bottom teams in all of them.

I tried to be a bit clever and failed to make the point come across. What I meant is that we have a good number of weaker opponents coming our way and we're going to get more points off them than we are going to get from top 5 matches that we'll face. Well, atleast that's the expectation. By the end of season 2019/2020 we're probably going to have more points from bottom than top match-ups.

It would be very interesting if someone dug up the numbers I agree.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Mentioned on the MOTD commentary, that we’ve got more points against the top 5 this season than against the other 5 teams in the bottom 6.

I'm sure this is a unique stat forCity in a relegation season (barring a miraculous escape- not given up hope yet). And sums up our season.

for me, this team is capable of playing the best football of any side we’ve had in the Prem this century, but we’re incapable of grinding out results and many  of our good performances have ended in defeats or draws, unlike eg Lambert’s side after promotion. It’s frustrating to say the least.

That was Culverhouses team not Lamberts

13 minutes ago, Upo said:

I tried to be a bit clever and failed to make the point come across. What I meant is that we have a good number of weaker opponents coming our way and we're going to get more points off them than we are going to get from top 5 matches that we'll face. Well, atleast that's the expectation. By the end of season 2019/2020 we're probably going to have more points from bottom than top match-ups.

It would be very interesting if someone dug up the numbers I agree.

I understand that now Spurs are 5th this is true 5 points to 4, however on Saturday night when Sheffield United were 5th it would have been 4 to each banding.