Sign in to follow this  
baldy09

If we go down -

IF we go down,  WILL  there be a big sell off and leave us again having to rebuild - personally I can see many of our young talent going -big money , offers will be too much for the board to turn away- and little being spent on the rebuild

4 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

IF we go down,  WILL  there be a big sell off and leave us again having to rebuild - personally I can see many of our young talent going -big money , offers will be too much for the board to turn away- and little being spent on the rebuild

drunk-bear-bad-taxidermy.jpg.3dc940e13e123606ee1f2df6e40758d9.jpg

• Haha 3

We will go down everyone knows really we will go down but are not accepting it at the moment . I know we could still do it but really no . Don’t think we will sell many players as no one really stands out as premiership quality . 

I asked a similar question a few months ago because I felt we might get 2 or 3 big-ish offers for our younger players (Aarons, Cantwell, Godfrey, Buendia and Lewis). I would expect us to sell if the players want to play in the EPL.  I assume players and agents would be keen. Yet, I cannot see us denuding the team. Perhaps we might keep 80% of the regular first team (Teemu, Krul included). We have a long term plan of bringing in the next young stars. The self funding model of course means we sell. Yet we might gain c.£50m from sales.

Ps. If we don't get the 6 or 7 wins we have to get in the season then we will certainly be very competitive next season. It will certainly raise expectations of a top 2 finish. Farke has already hinted they are looking at some special talent. His comment made me think he would still be here!

10 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

We will go down everyone knows really we will go down but are not accepting it at the moment . I know we could still do it but really no . Don’t think we will sell many players as no one really stands out as premiership quality . 

Really! You don't think Max, Ben and Emi are good enough? Or Pukki for that matter. 

I believe the players fall in specific categories.

There are a few in our team who have the talent and prospects to do very well. Their agents will undoubtedly want to move them on for big bucks and the players themselves will want to go for more premiership exposure (I fully understand that) which will make it very hard for us to keep them.

This first group we are looking at I feel contains the obvious of Aarons, Godfrey and perhaps Buendia.

Then there are others who have really pushed on this season and we have Cantwell and perhaps even Krul in this group who will attract attention and in Cantwell's case, strong attention.

The final group contains players who perhaps may have a storming last third to the season and that includes Lewis and Teemu. Those two may attract interest but probably not from the bigger teams.

Group one is our biggest threat of leaving and at least two will go no matter what league we are in. Probably all three.

The others? Depends on the final games and Todd's continuing good displays.

Such is life

Seems lots on here think it’s a forgone conclusion that we will be in the top 2 next season. We have always been a selling club over the years and nothing is going to change. We sell the nucleus of the side and it’s mid table for the foreseeable future 

My biggest concern if we go down is losing Farke, and maybe Webber. That could spell seasons of mediocrity. If Farke stays, I'd expect we'd only sell a couple, and knowing we don't have to sell, we'll push hard for big fees (& perhaps would only need to sell say Godfrey, maybe Aarons and that could be it, unless others want to go).

I'd expect us to be very strong next season. Whether we can push straight for automatic promotion no-one can say. If we can keep Teemu we have a real goalscoring threat, but as this season has shown, when he's injured (& I don't think he's fully recovered from his toe injury) shows we have no suitable backup. I'm not quite sure Idah can be counted on for a full season, and not convinced Drmic will survive the physicality of the Championship 

1 hour ago, baldy09 said:

If we believe we will sell for big money and spend little of it on the rebuild where do you think the money will go. 

Whatever your answer is what evidence will you be basing that on?

Fact is this is all speculation. Yes we have had a history of selling one or two players, but never for really big money. 

FWIW I believe Farke will stay and we will be just fine next year with the majority of this first team squad still here. 

As to where we will finish, so much depends on who comes down with us and what the remaining Championship teams do. 

If Villa, Grealish will be off, and they could implode. West Ham too. But Watford / Bournemouth / Brighton would be tough IMO. 

If West Brom & Leeds & Fulham all go up there doesn't look like there is too much quality in the rest; will one or more of Swansea / Derby / Stoke /Huddersfield / Middlesborough recover from their rebuilds? 

One thing I can be certain of, there either will not be an Old Farm Derby next year or it's a guaranteed four or six points again. 

• Like 1

I reckon Aarons,  Buendia and Cantwell will be off, but we'd still be more than competitive in the top 6 of the championship without them.

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Really! You don't think Max, Ben and Emi are good enough? Or Pukki for that matter. 

Think pukki has gone off the boil and would not keep a place in the premiership , max and Ben maybe but again have my doubts if they could command a regular place , Emi I don’t really rate as he gives ball away too easily flashes of brilliance but not consistent if they wanted premiership football think we would sell but really can’t see them attracting big money 

And if they don't we'll keep them here. If they do we'll have £50 million more than the other two relegated teams plus the £40 million more than the other Championship teams. Financial Fair Play has just started to bite in the Championship so either way we'd have a huge financial advantage and I think we'd be able to exploit that.

• Like 1

If we go down then anything other than automatic promotion next season will be a failure. If that’s the “strategy” then that’s what they have to deliver.

Even if we sold every one of our In demand players (which we won’t) we would probably have £100m in the bank, a tidy profit from this season, parachute payments and a squad including Krul, Byram, Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman, Trybull, Tettey, Vrancic, McClean, Hernandez, Rupp, Stiepermann, Drmic and Idah plus Citi and the kid from Cov before we’ve spent a penny. 

• Like 1

Cantwell will be sold for a transfer fee that will make Maddison’s look like a drop in the ocean. Becoming a real contender for Young player of the year.

Putting aside if and when we go down or actually whatever division we are in next year, purely from a financial point, and comparing it the last time we were relegated, the club, this time, is hugely in better shape. What Webber and DF have done, already did do last season by getting us promoted, is put us in great shape for next season and the one after that.  Firstly Webber, by wholesaling the entire  club set up from top to bottom changes, backed by the board, then DF, by sticking to his beloved belief in his style and his lads delivering the miracle. We  know the path these two guys set for the club, relegation, though not ideal, is actually a small thing compared to the comparitive health of the club, who, because of the way its run, need to care  for every penny and pound that comes its way. Hope both guys stay for many seasons to come, City are far better with them both here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daly said:

Seems lots on here think it’s a forgone conclusion that we will be in the top 2 next season. We have always been a selling club over the years and nothing is going to change. We sell the nucleus of the side and it’s mid table for the foreseeable future 

Nonsense. We sell some of the best talent we have, as the club and everyone around the club fully expects we will, and we build again. It’s the philosophy Webber has brought in, the philosophy Farke is implementing on the pitch and squad selections, and it’s working fantastically so far.

Like k said, keep Farke and Webber at all costs and they’ll take care of the rest. I really don’t mind who we sell as long as those two stay. Please!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

If we go down then anything other than automatic promotion next season will be a failure. If that’s the “strategy” then that’s what they have to deliver.

Even if we sold every one of our In demand players (which we won’t) we would probably have £100m in the bank, a tidy profit from this season, parachute payments and a squad including Krul, Byram, Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman, Trybull, Tettey, Vrancic, McClean, Hernandez, Rupp, Stiepermann, Drmic and Idah plus Citi and the kid from Cov before we’ve spent a penny. 

I don't know how many times they have to say this - Webber/Farke are targeted to establish NCFC as a TOP 26 club. So if we finish in the playoffs next season, that's a tick. They are not going to leave before their current contracts expire. It may be that we don't sell anyone - it may be that everyone agreed when they signed their contract extensions last summer that they would stay unless we got really silly offers. Of course, we don't know - but given your listing of very good players and adding some of Farke's "special talent" in the summer, I expect us to be very strong in the Championship - it would be nice to do a Liverpool a league lower.

What ever happens, it's nice to go down with players other teams want,  and will pay big money for, rather than being stuck with players we can't get rid of.

In today's market, if we sell Aaron's Lewis godfrey cantwell and buendia I expect at least £100m for us to reinvest 

That’s five players for 100 million? I’d be very surprised if it was that many players or that low a valuation if it was five. You did say reinvest though so maybe you assume another 20 million for debt servicing and /or a new City stand? 

Edited by Surfer

16 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

First job IF we go down is making sure Farke stays

Ridiculous there are some fans that want him gone

Zac I agree.

who could blame him if he left. After a big miracle last season he could rightly think that in the financial sense the board have given him no support whatsoever! Pre season transfer spend of around £1m . Must be the lowest ever by any promoted club. Despite the so called riches of the PL.

He will be in demand, with his brand of football that we have all loved last season, and indeed this season too.

3 hours ago, Bradwell canary said:

Zac I agree.

who could blame him if he left. After a big miracle last season he could rightly think that in the financial sense the board have given him no support whatsoever! Pre season transfer spend of around £1m . Must be the lowest ever by any promoted club. Despite the so called riches of the PL.

He will be in demand, with his brand of football that we have all loved last season, and indeed this season too.

True but he will have been well aware of the situation of the club and the direction Webber was taking us in. When being interviewed I’m sure they discussed all possible scenarios and what the approach would be upon promotion.

I feel confident they both still see a promising future at the club regardless of relegation. Like it or not, this was a free hit season and we were quite rightly not going to gamble with the future of the club this time round.

Keep hold of Farke and even with losing some of our better players, as they will be planning to do, and we could have a very enjoyable and successful season next year

16 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

It is important that we let players move on, if the right bid comes in and they want to go. 

The players left look like an excellent championship side with more youngsters coming through and a healthy Bank balance. 

Good luck to all the players that move, they have deserved it. 

13 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I don't know how many times they have to say this - Webber/Farke are targeted to establish NCFC as a TOP 26 club. So if we finish in the playoffs next season, that's a tick. They are not going to leave before their current contracts expire. It may be that we don't sell anyone - it may be that everyone agreed when they signed their contract extensions last summer that they would stay unless we got really silly offers. Of course, we don't know - but given your listing of very good players and adding some of Farke's "special talent" in the summer, I expect us to be very strong in the Championship - it would be nice to do a Liverpool a league lower.

I don't care what Webber & Co might set themselves as a cosy target but losing in the playoffs next season (if we go down) is a failure. not having this top 26 nonsense. We have wasted this season. I can handle going down if it means we put ourselves in a position to come back up again and be financially stronger but anything other that promotion will be a failure both in terms of the overall strategy and also I would say for Farke given the personel he will have at his disposal who have proven they are good enough.

I agree with so many people comments on here , but another question could be asked -will Farke have the same determination and fight to start all over again also a good offer from another club may see him leave because of lack of funding

Like so many other avenues in life, it depends on what else is going on around him. Will the club continue to bring in exciting talent, and/or will the club redevelop the City Stand? And then what about Colney and what about the fans? 

All of these add up to the atmosphere and from that you make decisions about your place in that setup, which yes involves money and your ability to contribute and to drive the outcome. 

So who really knows what Herr Farke thinks? But the evidence of his comments suggest that he’s more likely to stay that not. We will see.