Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

If Pukki had pushed......

I was thinking the same earlier op. At the time I actually thought the linesman flagged for a free kick, but maybe that was my imagination. More my thinking was had the ref given a free kick ( seen them given for that ) what would VAR have done then ? as wouldn’t have been a clear and obvious error.

12 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

If pukki would have not aimed exactly at their keeper we would have a point 

No, far better if he'd blazed it over the bar like Firmino eh? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No, far better if he'd blazed it over the bar like Firmino eh? 

Ah don’t let things like that get in the way of having a moan. There were loads of stats on here a couple of weeks ago showing that Pukki’s conversion rate was still as good as or better than anyone else in the division (other than Aguero and Vardy). It doesn’t matter that he cost a fraction of what pretty much every other striker in the division with a comparable record is worth - people still moaned as if he was costing us games singlehandedly because he was only scoring at the same rate as Salah, Rashford, Abraham, better than Firminho etc.

We haven’t really had a scapegoat since Russ Martin left and now that the defence has tightened up, even Hanley doesn’t fit the bill...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Ah don’t let things like that get in the way of having a moan. There were loads of stats on here a couple of weeks ago showing that Pukki’s conversion rate was still as good as or better than anyone else in the division (other than Aguero and Vardy). It doesn’t matter that he cost a fraction of what pretty much every other striker in the division with a comparable record is worth - people still moaned as if he was costing us games singlehandedly because he was only scoring at the same rate as Salah, Rashford, Abraham, better than Firminho etc.

We haven’t really had a scapegoat since Russ Martin left and now that the defence has tightened up, even Hanley doesn’t fit the bill...

Someone's floating the idea of handing the mantle to Duda and Rupp on another thread 😆. (And now that Byram unfortunately looks like having picked up a serious injury I'm sure that certain numpties on here can start calling him a 'sick note'.). 

I have no complaints about the goal. It was a moment of brilliance to win the game. 

Had Rupp or Pukki scored in our best chance we would now be sickened by a VAR decision to disallow it I'm sure. 

We had chances to score but didn't, it was a narrow win. 

Compare that to the disgraceful VAR riddled home defeat to Man Utd for example.

I hoped for a result but failing that I hoped for two things, a creditable performance and an absence of gifts. 

Our players showed COURAGE to play football and I couldn't feel deflated or more importantly: cheated. 

I only hope that Liverpool keep up their efforts after winning the title to be fair to other clubs. I suspect a couple will get lucky results against them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Someone's floating the idea of handing the mantle to Duda and Rupp on another thread 😆. (And now that Byram unfortunately looks like having picked up a serious injury I'm sure that certain numpties on here can start calling him a 'sick note'.). 

Have they? Or are people just analysing our new players performance?

I really want to whinge about the push but even I woukdnt have given a foul.

It was almost a carbon copy of the 'push'  on Zimbo v Spurs that led to his hand ball, free kick, goal.

• Like 1

The "push", to me, is a prime example of slow motion and still images often making things look worse than they actually were.

It wasn't a foul and we'd all be absolutely livid if the shoe had been on the other foot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kirku said:

The "push", to me, is a prime example of slow motion and still images often making things look worse than they actually were.

It wasn't a foul and we'd all be absolutely livid if the shoe had been on the other foot.

In this instance I actually think it’s the other way around. I agree with sliding tackles etc because you see contact and have no idea how fleeting it was.

bit this one looks much more obvious (and you get a better idea of the effect) when you watch it at full speed. The slow mos don’t give you the picture of how it fractionally changes the direction of Zimbos jump. 

Watching it again, I don't think it was a foul.  If VAR was ruling out goals for that, it would be even worse than the farce it already is - it's exactly the same as judging players as offside from where their elbow is etc.

Having said that, I agree 100% with the OP.  If we'd taken the lead after that sort of contact with 15 mins to go, I'd fully expect VAR would rule it out.

I don’t think it was a foul - but had we scored that at Anfield I am certain VAR would have ruled it out.

I know we've all decided VAR is against us, but I'd argue we were a touch lucky it didn't take a closer look at Rupp pulling one of their players down from a corner.

7 hours ago, kirku said:

we'd all be absolutely livid if the shoe had been on the other foot.

Of course we would - £30,000+ a week and can't even put their boots on properly! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I know we've all decided VAR is against us, but I'd argue we were a touch lucky it didn't take a closer look at Rupp pulling one of their players down from a corner.

Agreed. I fully expected that to be a pen

What else can we come up with to disguise the simple fact that we are not good enough, at the moment, for this level. Any number of reasons but not referees or VAR for our demise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What else can we come up with to disguise the simple fact that we are not good enough, at the moment, for this level. Any number of reasons but not referees or VAR for our demise.

We are not good enough generally, that's for sure. The table doesn't lie. But there is no refuting that without either the horrific injury situation at the start or without VAR, we would have a few more points and be much better placed.

Are we good enough for this level? Yes, I believe we are.

Are we good enough at this level to nullify the effects of the injuries or some dubious decisions against us? No

Are we good enough for this level? Yes, I believe we are.

Are we good enough at this level to nullify the effects of the injuries or some dubious decisions against us? No

Forget the dubious decisions. Sheffield United have had more goals ruled out by VAR than any other team.

I think we have the ability in the squad to perform at this level. And I love DF as a coach and his style of football. I think he gets his game tactics wrong a lot though, it is a step up for him as well, competing against coaches with history at this level. For instance, I wager Liverpool hit a lot more long balls than us yesterday. They did what they had to do. They weren't afraid to do something different.

Hopefully this season will have educated him in the colder, harder side of football.

Never a foul but a poorly timed jump by Zimbo, thought Hanley and Zimbo played well too, no complaints, it took a world class player with a world class finish to beat us.

Credit to Hanley played well.

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

Agreed. I fully expected that to be a pen

On the flip side I thought Cantwell had a case for a pen at one point but was too honest and stayed on his feet.

Not a foul. The argument of if it would have been given the other way round is entirely possible mind.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

On the flip side I thought Cantwell had a case for a pen at one point but was too honest and stayed on his feet.

True, if he’d gone down it would probably have been given... if he’d been wearing a red shirt that is 😏

It wasn't a foul.

However I believe had there been no VAR the referee would have given it, as often when a potential foul leads to a goal, it is chalked off.

Referee was allowed to hide behind VAR.