Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Liverpool

The weather forecast yesterday made me doubt that there would be a game today but in truth it really wasn't too bad at kick off. There was a little rain and a fairly gusty breeze sweeping across the pitch but it looked o.k. as long as you kept the ball on the deck.

It was no surprise when Liverpool dominated the early possession and were soon forcing the home side onto the back foot. Thankfully there was little danger when the first shot came in from thirty yards and trickled well wide of Kruls goal at the Barclay End. City were obviously trying to keep it tight in the opening exchanges and we were on eight minutes before Krul had to field a shot down low to his right. Liverpool looked quick and sharp but it was encouraging to see the City back line look fairly comfortable under pressure.

City finally got a bit of possession of their own and worked their way neatly forward only for Cantwell to lose out in a challenge on the edge of the visitors box.Then City threatened to break away again, only for the through ball to hold up in the wind and hit Pukki on the back as he attempted to race clear. Despite the conditions there were some nice touches from the home side while at the back Zimmerman and Hanley looked very solid. For all their preponderance of possession Liverpool were finding it hard to create anything meaningful.

Just after the halfway stage there was a blow for the home side as Byram stretched for the ball and appeared to pull his hamstring. It was soon obvious that he couldn't continue and limped off to applause to be replaced by Jamal Lewis. On thirtysix minutes City had what looked like a wonderful chance to take the lead. Whether VAR would have ruled him out for offside I couldn't say but Rupp appeared to have beaten the trap from McLean's through ball and was clear with just Allison to beat. He could have shot or even taken it round the keeper but seemed to hesitate and play a soft sideways ball to Pukki who was quickly making ground beside him. The touch was far too light and the Reds keeper was able to get a hand in to push it away from both City players, much to the anguish of all around me.

Liverpool continued to dominate but despite a couple of corners and free kicks the home defence seemed to be coping admirably with everything thrown at it. There were one or two alarms as City almost got into trouble playing out from the back but when halftime came at all square they trooped off to generous applause.

We hadn't created much in the final quarter but the best chance had fallen to us I for one was beginning to think we might easily get something from the game.

Liverpool upped it considerably as we resumed and were soon buzzing around the City box but the noise level went up when we broke away down the left. Pukki latched onto a loose ball and fed Cantwell but he couldn't get a shot away before being swallowed up by Liverpool defenders. It was a rare attack because now all the action was down at my end as Aarons and Hanley made vital tackles to halt Liverpool progress. We were almost at the hour mark when Tim Krul was finally brought into action, tipping a shot from Keita over the bar.

Then City almost gave it away when McLean tried to dribble clear and lost the ball. It came to Salah in the box and his quick feet worked an opening for a strike from about eight yards. Krul parried it well but Keita following up appeared to have a tap in only for Krul to block and hold the ball from point blank range. It was all hands to the pump now and even more so when the dangerous Sado Mane came on just after the hour.

The wind and rain were really getting up now but City surged forward again with renewed hope. Cantwell struck an angled shot into the side netting and minutes later Tetty of all people struck the base of Allison's left hand post as the crowd ohh'd and ahh'd. The City midfield had got through an awful lot of work and I was looking at Farke to think about subs as the clock ticked up to sixtyfive minutes but the signal never came.

As we moved into the final quarter a point was looking ever more possible but suddenly a long ball down the midle to Mane decieved Hanley and Zimmerman and the little man lashed the ball past Krul as he surged between the defenders. It was disappointing but not totally unexpected in the grand scheme of things. Buendia and Drmic were slung on with eight minutes left and the little Argentine did fashion a chance for Pukki in the final minutes. Last year he would have buried it but as with so many times this season he shot tamely straight at Allison.

Once again we came up empty from what was a really good effort against one of the strongest teams in the world. We have played some good stuff at times this season but lack that touch of quality that only a bigger bank balance can buy. It's a great shame but we are where we are and it's pointless getting annoyed about it.

Hard to pick a MOM, Hanley and Zimmerman were superb tonight as was Tim Krul and Max Aaron's.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 10

Thanks as always Ricardo.

I thought Hanley was outstanding today and made me think had he been fit all season the outcome may have been better at the end of the season. I will stand to be corrected but I thought it was Zimmermann and Aaron’s Mane got between and not Hanley.

Just now, Well b back said:

Thanks as always Ricardo.

I thought Hanley was outstanding today and made me think had he been fit all season the outcome may have been better at the end of the season. I will stand to be corrected but I thought it was Zimmermann and Aaron’s Mane got between and not Hanley.

You may be right, I havent seen the replay.

The only player I found less than excellent tonight was Duda. He didn't seem quite as fired up as the rest.

Actually I'm also beginning to wonder if Teemu hasn't lost it a bit. Drmic is starting to look like he's got something about him, perhaps time to give him a start?

If we can play like that for the remaining matches we are in with a shout. If.

• Like 1

Excellent report as always Ricardo.

I thought Grant Hanley answered a lot of critics today, I just wonder how many times he has to do that before he's let off this strange and unexplained hook he has found him self on.

MOTM against Spurs, solid since, superb showing today. It's hard to be unhappy with him.

All round, pleased with the teams efforts on the whole. Coming out of a game against the best team in the world currently, close enough to feel we could have taken something, narrowly beaten with our heads held high. Much to take forward.

• Like 5

Thanks Ricardo, as ever, a great report.

I agree with all of those that have praised Grant Hanley. It's really goes to see him recover some form and just goes to show what a run of games can do! Farke sometimes talks about "match rhythm" and Hanley had hardly played a run of games for nearly two seasons! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Thanks Ricardo, as ever, a great report.

I agree with all of those that have praised Grant Hanley. It's really goes to see him recover some form and just goes to show what a run of games can do! Farke sometimes talks about "match rhythm" and Hanley had hardly played a run of games for nearly two seasons! 

There always has to be a scapegoat Badger, so perhaps Hanley has done his time. Hard to guess who the next one will be. I have noted a few people beginning to lay into Cantwell and Rupp or maybe it will be aimed at Farke and Webber. I suppose we are all guilty of it at one time or another.

Good report as usual Ricardo. I slightly disagree about Zimmermann. I thought he looked a bit suspect at times and his heading never really convince me he could clear the area. Hanley was magnificent though. I wish Emi had started as his ball through to Pukki late on was a peach. 

Aarons is worth the £50M tag. He kept Robertson quiet and although he couldn't get forward much, he was always willing to look for it.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

There always has to be a scapegoat Badger, so perhaps Hanley has done his time. Hard to guess who the next one will be. I have noted a few people beginning to lay into Cantwell and Rupp or maybe it will be aimed at Farke and Webber. I suppose we are all guilty of it at one time or another.

My guess is that it will be Rupp, especially if Farke continues to pick him over Buendia. Emi is an amazing talent but his defensive discipline is less reliable. But then again, people want us to be tight at the back but not restrict any of our flair players!