Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Liverpool Match Thread

14 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Where's var now? 

I retract my statement after seeing it back again 🤣

Hanley and Aarons were excellent. Zimmermann not quite good enough for this level, imo. 

****, could easily have got something out of that.

on the steam I was watching their view was that Mane gave a little push to Zimmerman which was enough to make him lose his balance as he’d just jumped, so should have been a foul.

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

Hanley and Aarons were excellent. Zimmermann not quite good enough for this level, imo. 

Tettey excellent, McLean gave the ball away too much, Duda didn’t look interested 

Yeah, I thought the subs should have been made earlier, when we were under pressure; if only to disrupt their rhythm and give our defenders a breather.

Edited by Kanadyan Kanary

Nothing to complain about apart from DF's refusal to make critical changes. You could see MacLean was getting bushed and Duda was getting a mention. Its tiring running about without the ball.

And that lovely ball from Buendia to Pukki showed why some of us wanted him on from the start.

It might seem strange to say this but despite giving Liverpool a good game. I think it is time to make chances. We are running out of games.

Buendia, Vrancic and Godfrey in for me. I know Zimbo looked a bit slow but Mane and Firmino are quick. So keep him in and put Godders in midfield.

Proud of the effort. Defended well and we were obviously very fired up. Krul, Hanley, Aarons and McLean were superb.

Playing on the counter with no pace or strength in the midfield or attack was always going to be problematic though. Rupp will be useful in the Championship but I'm not a fan of him or Duda, we need players who are the literal polar opposite to them, we're overstocked with slight, slow technical players who lack composure as it is, those signings make very little sense to me. As good as Liverpool are they were there for the taking today, if we had a more direct outlet and a more confident, ruthless mindset I really believe we would have beaten them today. Very frustrating. 

All round a decent performance to go that close to getting something out of the game.

Bit frustrated with our attacking play at 5times though. There were a few times when one of our midfielders beat the initial press and we had a runners trying and exploit the space behind the high line Liverpool were holding, but we played it backwards or put our foot on it and the moment was gone.

I've been one of the biggest critics of Farke's use of subs but I don't have an issue tonight- we were actually doing a decent job of holding Liverpool and substitutes could have easily disrupted that flow. If we were 0-0 v a team we needed to beat, sure change it up. But 0-0 would have been a great result for us so I don't see an issue.

Thought we looked better with Lewis in the team- hope he starts even if Byram is fit.

• Like 3

Oh, also, we've got to be the only team in the league who can turn a player in acres of space on the penalty spot into not even a shot on goal...

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Massive surprise that Liverpool have made subs before us. Who'd have expected that?😐

They were underperforming so needed to change things, we were over performing. So while I think there’s something in the criticism made of Farke’s subs, this wasn’t a good example.

I have no complaints and I can't really agree with anybody who does against any specific players. I hear Zimmermann getting flak, but he played well. There were no really weak links in the team. There were some outstanding ones, though; Hanley, Tettey, Lewis, Aarons, Rupp. Duda and Cantwell played generally well, but collectively missed a few chances to pass the ball to Pukki when he was in an open position.

I don't think Norwich was able to generate enough chances simply to justify complaining about lack of quality. Perhaps if it wasn't against the best defence in the world we could mention that they should have gotten a few more shots on target. We had only one truly good chance, but even that was like 50% once you consider the extra pass required before Teemu taps it in.

Conclusion: We deserved a draw. Not because of today's performance warranted to yank that from the greatest football team in the world, but because we've been on the wrong side of the luck draw for so long that it should be about time to start things falling our way...

49 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Well, I thought we came out of that with a whole heap of credit. No points, but heads held high. 

Story of our season right there. Credit does not equal points sadly.

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

They were underperforming so needed to change things, we were over performing. So while I think there’s something in the criticism made of Farke’s subs, this wasn’t a good example.

My post was ironic Nuff Said.

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Story of our season right there. Credit does not equal points sadly.

51 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

This is a season of might have beens.  We’ve played the best team in the league, probably in the world, today, and lost by the narrowest of margins.  

…..and to a goal which should have been disallowed for the very subtle push on Zimmerman. Seem to remember Kane doing the same thing to Lewis in the Spurs match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

My post was ironic Nuff Said.

No winky face emoticon, no irony. Sorry, I didn’t make the internet rules.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

…..and to a goal which should have been disallowed for the very subtle push on Zimmerman. Seem to remember Kane doing the same thing to Lewis in the Spurs match.

Nah. The Kane one I agree, but today's nudge was never enough to rule the goal out. Part and parcel of football. The goal was fine, we'd have been livid if it had been at the other end and been ruled out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Nah. The Kane one I agree, but today's nudge was never enough to rule the goal out. Part and parcel of football. The goal was fine, we'd have been livid if it had been at the other end and been ruled out.

This, all day every day.

Liverpool had chance to score several times from positions that were better than our best chance. If the match had ended 3-0, it would've been justified by the chances created. Thanks to Krul and a couple strange misses from them, we can entertain the "what if" scenario.

This doesn't take anything from the team's effort. We just made the best football club in the world look genuinely relieved at the final whistle and gave a hell of an attractive performance along the way.

Thought it was a great defensive performance today,lots of positives the whole back four and gk and the two cdms ,was not impressed with rupp and Duda but they will probably be better against a weaker sides , pukkis lost his mojo ,proud of Lewis today played well got his confidence back .😄

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Shout out for Hanley. Wasn't that keen on him myself for this season but got to say he was great today.

OTBC

Still can't believe he beat Salah in a one-on-one foot race in the second half :classic_ohmy:

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

This, all day every day.

It seems that our manager agrees with me, rather than you. I'll take that.