Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Is Walcott worth double Ashton's value?

Hi all! Not sure if it is just me, but 7 million is not enough for Dean Ashton...as that is the price The Pinkun seem to be splashing around everywhere.In fact, 8 million (as The Pinkun quoted today) still isn''t enough...it would be better to keep him than loose him to another club for 8 million. In my view, if  Theo Walcott, who is unproven at Premiership level, can be valued at 15 million by Southampton, I''m sure Ashton is worth more than 7 million. I know they are different players totally, but Ashton is proven in the Premiership and personally would be disappointed if he went for less than 10 million.

I think they are both way overrated but Walcot probably is worth more.

He is already a very good player who has already scored a good few goals and only 16. 15m is however a rip off considering he may not turn out as expected.

I would say Ashton 5m
Walcot 8m

8 MILLION IS A FANTASTIC PRICE FOR A FORWARD WHO HAS NO PACE.

WALCOTT (HAVING SEEN HIM PLAY SEVERAL TIMES) WILL BE A FANTASTIC PLAYER AND IF YOU HAVE THAT PACE YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A DANGER.  IF ANYONE OFFERED 8 MILLION FOR ASHTON I WOULD SNAP THEIR HAND OFF.

Well we saw them on the pitch at the same time back in December. One of them missed a chance, played poorly therefater and got subbed. The other one scored three goals and could have had more. Would anyone seriosuly swap Ashton for Walcott based on that evidence?

The amounts being reported for Walcott are ludicrous when he has not proved himself over an extended period and nobody knows how things will work out. This guy is younger than Wayne Rooney when he hit the bigtime and the likes of Rooney at that sort of age come along only once in a generation.

Madness.

Walcott is an unproven 16 yo with blistering pace that he will lose as he gets older - I can see Ashton doing a sheringham and playing well into his 30s and has already show that he can score goals season on season irrespective of which league he is playing in.

Walcott has shown none of the Rooney skills onthe ball - just electric pace - as the peerless tumbleweed rightly points out our savvy but unexceptional defenders of flem and doc had him in their pockets all day - how would he fair against top notch defenders? 

If Iwas looking to spend £10m I would take the safer proven bet every time.  

Your comment, Zipper, about blistering pace reminded me of Elvis Hammond whom we had on loan a couple of seasons back. He wasn''t worth a very small fraction of £10m but was supposed to one of the fastest footballers ever over 100m!!!

The last two players hyped up to this level from my memory are Owen and Rooney. For top clubs to be intersested, he must have something about him.

In truth nothing is worth more than someone is willing to pay. you can have a car worth say £10k, but it''s only worth what you can sell it for.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Walcott is an unproven 16 yo with blistering pace that he will lose as he gets older - I can see Ashton doing a sheringham and playing well into his 30s and has already show that he can score goals season on season irrespective of which league he is playing in.

Walcott has shown none of the Rooney skills onthe ball - just electric pace - as the peerless tumbleweed rightly points out our savvy but unexceptional defenders of flem and doc had him in their pockets all day - how would he fair against top notch defenders? 

If Iwas looking to spend £10m I would take the safer proven bet every time.  

[/quote]

he scored an absolutely fantastic goal against luton

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/4494752.stm

ClubFromToFeeLeagueFA CupLeague cupOther
Southampton01-08-2005  13 (8)40 (1)10 (1)00 (0)0
Totals£ 013 (8)40 (1)10 (1)00 (0)0
goals / game0.1910 n/a

not bad for a player who didnt score in his first 8 appearances!!

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=41643

its one hell of a lot of cash however.  But the buzz is there, all the people in the know are raging about him, it doesnt happen often.

He does undoubtedly have potential but several youngsters have a hot first season but fail to develop - too many to mention but Danny Cadamateri and Franny Jeffers are two good examples to counter the Rooney exception  - if I had that money to invest I know where my money would be going...

lots of you say about keeping ashton as its not enough

ofcourse you want as much as possible

but say we keep him and he crocks his knee, he will never be 100% fit ever again, therefore will keep cropping up with knee injuries (darren eadie comes to mind) and then because of that his price will go down and we would get no where near asmuch, maybe we should take the money and move on?