Sign in to follow this  
Dionysus

1999/2000 vs 2005/2006

There has been much debate recently over whether the current squad of players is far better than that of 1999/2000 when Worthington took over. As far as I can tell, the players he acquired were:

Anselin, Carey, Coote, Dalglish, Jean Yves de Blasiis, Derveld, De Waard, Fleming, Forbes, Fuglestad, Giallanza, Green, Hamilton, Jackson, Kenton, Llewellyn, Mackay, A. Marshall, L. Marshall, McVeigh, Mulryne, Roberts, Russell, Sutch and Wilson

Hypothetically, assuming all players are fit, how many of our current first team would you replace with players from the 1999/2000 squad (as they were back then, of course, and not as they are now)?

My team, selected from both sets of players, would be:

Green

Kenton, Jackson, Mackay, Drury (don''t think there is much in it with central defence)

Forbes, Safri, Mulryne, Huckerby (to be honest, other than Carey I would probably prefer any central midfielder from 1999 to this season''s midfield signings)

Ashton, McKenzie (I''ve selected Ashton based upon the ability I know he has rather than his current form. I would probably prefer Roberts from 1999 to Ashton how he is playing at the moment.)

Subs: Ward, Doherty, McVeigh, Roberts, Russell

Clearly, our current squad is better than that of 1999/2000 (and so it should be given the amount of money that Worthington has spent). But I don''t think the gap is a large as some people make out, particularly if you take into account the players from 1999 that are still here.

id of kept giallanza.. he looked handy before injury.....

id also of kept anselin or ''Ade Forbes my lord''... right wingers!!!!!

jas :)

[quote user="Dionysus"]

There has been much debate recently over whether the current squad of players is far better than that of 1999/2000 when Worthington took over. As far as I can tell, the players he acquired were:

Anselin, Carey, Coote, Dalglish, Jean Yves de Blasiis, Derveld, De Waard, Fleming, Forbes, Fuglestad, Giallanza, Green, Hamilton, Jackson, Kenton, Llewellyn, Mackay, A. Marshall, L. Marshall, McVeigh, Mulryne, Roberts, Russell, Sutch and Wilson

Hypothetically, assuming all players are fit, how many of our current first team would you replace with players from the 1999/2000 squad (as they were back then, of course, and not as they are now)?

My team, selected from both sets of players, would be:

Green

Kenton, Jackson, Mackay, Drury (don''t think there is much in it with central defence)

Forbes, Safri, Mulryne, Huckerby (to be honest, other than Carey I would probably prefer any central midfielder from 1999 to this season''s midfield signings)

Ashton, McKenzie (I''ve selected Ashton based upon the ability I know he has rather than his current form. I would probably prefer Roberts from 1999 to Ashton how he is playing at the moment.)

Subs: Ward, Doherty, McVeigh, Roberts, Russell

Clearly, our current squad is better than that of 1999/2000 (and so it should be given the amount of money that Worthington has spent). But I don''t think the gap is a large as some people make out, particularly if you take into account the players from 1999 that are still here.

[/quote]

I think the Doc has turned out to be a better player than malky, but malky was just so influential on the park.

God the 1999 mulryne makes the team!!! and he does too!! wouldnt want the 2006 fat version however!!

Forbes on the right wing!!! says it all really.

Niave management, poor decisions.

1999 team was never relegation material, the manager was just totally inept

Reckon I''d go with:

Greeno

Fleming, Mackay, Doherty

Marney, Francis, Safri, Russell, Huckerby

Ashton, McVeigh

Subs: Ward, Drury, Robinson, Forbes, MacKenzie

Somewhat more attacking, but with cover in midfield from Russell and Safri...

[quote user="Anderz"]

Reckon I''d go with:

Greeno

Fleming, Mackay, Doherty

Marney, Francis, Safri, Russell, Huckerby

Ashton, McVeigh

Subs: Ward, Drury, Robinson, Forbes, MacKenzie

Somewhat more attacking, but with cover in midfield from Russell and Safri...

[/quote]

sorry to be picky but Marney and Francis are not in the current squad. its funny marney earns the Right wing slot even tho he did nothing really (apart from some good corners) but i guess your thinking was he must be better than forbes!!

Classic 4-4-2 for me - but scary just how poor right midfield has been for so long...

Green

Kents   Doc   Jackson  Drury

Anselin   Safri  Robinson  Hux

Ashton  McVeigh

Subs

Marshall,  Shackell,  Forbes, Giallanza, Roberts

Green

Nedergaard  Kenton  Doherty  Drury

Safri   Holt   De Blassiss

McVeigh

Ashton   Huckerby

Hmm, not bad Mook - although I would have liked the lovely Cedric in there somewhere.  When he was playing his possession success rate was around 75% - I can''t think of any current midfield player other than Safri who would come anywhere near this.  Those of us who remember the likes of Liam Brady, Glen Hoddle and Trevor Brooking realise that you don''t need to be the fiercest tackler or cover every blade of grass (twice) to be en effective midfielder, just skill and vision.

So true Breaker, so true. But De Blassis was my tip for midfield stardom (before injury and Nigel''s non-foreign policy put an end to that possibility). De Blassis had a touch of the "Safri" about him, he seemed to want to keep possession!

I witnessed quite a lot of Hoddle, Brady at the end of his career and don''t remember much about Brooking, sadly. But you didn''t mention my all time favourite footballer from your list, Mr Ian Crook.

Crooky had that same sublime talent of knowing when to pass long, when to pass short, sideways or backwards, and most importantly had the knowledge of all others on the field around him. The ball always used to find its way to him, and he always seemed to use it well!

Paul, to the best of my knowledge; Hamilton, De Waard and Derveld weren''t here for a full season either, so I was going on the assumption that we were choosing (hypothetically I might add) players that had played during the two aformentioned periods of time. With Francis, perhaps I did make a mistake, but Marney has played this season...