Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

VAR

Random rant?

Relating to the Wolves V Leicester game?

I genuinely dont know (not watching the above game myself).

But I do pray for the day that some threads started on here dont require actual research. Seems to be a growing trend.

That and the half sentence thread titles, literal click bait.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

32 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Getting beyond a joke now

It's been beyond a joke for quite a while....not that the powers that be appear to be doing anything about it and it wouldn't surprise me if they carry on the same next season despite the outcry against it. 

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

I’m baffled by that VAR decision, can you be offside from a corner kick?

Came back to receive the ball from an offside position.

Ah, thanks Ricardo

it looked like they were drawing the line to the player who received the ball from the corner.

Edited by Surfer

Man with a flag wouldn't have noticed it probably but once you make offside a matter of fact rather than opinion you are open to these ultra marginal decisions.

The man with the flag didn't always get it right but on balance I would rather go back to it.

Totally agree with that. Yelling at “blind” officials gets rid of frustration inside the ground too, and then you can move on. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Haha 1

If you support VAR you are a ref or an absolute whopper 

Conor Coady making Mike Dean look like a total pleb on live TV was pretty funny though. Referees deserve nothing but disrespect and mockery for their continuing horrendously poor efforts.

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Conor Coady making Mike Dean look like a total pleb on live TV was pretty funny though. Referees deserve nothing but disrespect and mockery for their continuing horrendously poor efforts.

Change the effing lawl then. The refs are simply following the letter of the law.

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Change the effing lawl then. The refs are simply following the letter of the law.

They are operating outside of the law. The global authority has made it clear they aren’t operating within the confines of the clear and obvious rule for VAR. The referees and their bosses are responsible. Simply claiming it’s not their fault and allowing football is flush itself down the toilet is irresponsible. We must make our feelings of VAR very clear.

• Like 2

It is clear from the comments made by the guy who has just been given the job of Chief Executive of the Premier League on a permanent basis, that the Premier League are not big enough to admit their implementation of VAR has been a monumental balls up, they will not be reviewing their implementation until the end of the season. IMHO, at the very least they should have stopped the forensic approach to offside as stated by the general secretary of IFAB who said "Clear and obvious still remains, it is an important principle. There should not be a lot of time spent to find something marginal". It is clear that the Premier League think they know better than the organisation responsible for the laws of the game internationally......... 

• Like 1

Well, we are English, and it is our game... so why wouldn’t we tell Johnny Foreigner to go do one? Actually I think it’s a cunning plan to undermine VAR in favour of real refs next season 🙂 

Edited by Surfer

9 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Don’t think too many match day refs are over the moon with VAR!

10 hours ago, ricardo said:

Man with a flag wouldn't have noticed it probably but once you make offside a matter of fact rather than opinion you are open to these ultra marginal decisions.

The man with the flag didn't always get it right but on balance I would rather go back to it.

Where decisions used to be so marginal it was declared some years ago that the decision should go for the attacker - it is a game of goals after all. That has more than gone out of the window with what they are doing to us now to ruin the game as a spectacle.

The disallowing of the beautiful goal we scored with Vrancic and Pukki is the single most scandalous thing I have ever seen at a football match anywhere, ever.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

They are operating outside of the law. The global authority has made it clear they aren’t operating within the confines of the clear and obvious rule for VAR. The referees and their bosses are responsible. Simply claiming it’s not their fault and allowing football is flush itself down the toilet is irresponsible. We must make our feelings of VAR very clear.

If we go by clear and obvious, then there is no need for VAR for offside. Man with a flag will do fine.

I doubt they will change their minds. I would wager VAR is here to stay. For the last ten years all we have heard is technology is available so we must use it. Bull.

Football is the main game worldwide and played by millions and watched by more. But because of a few clubs, some who like to cheat financially included, who cannot see past total success, the rest have to genuflect and obey.

Get rid rid of it. Return to football being a game to enjoy rather than panic because you aren't top and see clubs respect what has been a joy for the last 100 years.

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I doubt they will change their minds. I would wager VAR is here to stay. For the last ten years all we have heard is technology is available so we must use it. Bull.

Football is the main game worldwide and played by millions and watched by more. But because of a few clubs, some who like to cheat financially included, who cannot see past total success, the rest have to genuflect and obey.

Get rid rid of it. Return to football being a game to enjoy rather than panic because you aren't top and see clubs respect what has been a joy for the last 100 years.

It’s not changing football in the rest of Europe it’s the EPL guidelines that follow their own rules as opposed to the recommendations laid down.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Return to football being a game to enjoy rather than panic because you aren't top and see clubs respect what has been a joy for the last 100 years.

So you mean also remove the ridiculous money advantage out of the game as well, so that we get more Leicester's having a chance to win the league rather than the same 4 every season...

Man City have spent over 1.3 BILLION so far since their takeover, absolutely zero chance of a fair league while inequality like that exists.

VAR is meant to be a tool for the on field official to use to make sure he hasn't made a massive balls-up. See image below when Aubameyang was inexplicably given offside by man with flag- in these situations it is cut-n-dried, and worth the money.

How it's being used by our officials is wrong, simple as that. There is a reason no English officials were posted at the last world cup.

NINTCHDBPICT000526910929.jpg

16 hours ago, ricardo said:

According to the existing law the Wolves player was offside.

Ricardo is right, the law states offiside applies to 'any part' of the head, torso or legs is, so on the tech used an pic shown it IS offside.

My issue is that the technology has a margin of error that means the image is likely to be wrong, and to such an extent the whole body may be onside.

At the moment there is a mismatch between the tech and the law which makes even apparently correct decisons debatable.

Add in the time taken and the decision to keep the attending fans ignorant about what is happening is what makes var so unpalatable for me

There is no margin for error with VAR because the buck stops with the assessor who sees what everyone else sees and those other analysts include managers who will criticise them either way and massive financial interests such as betting companies. What would you do? 

The VAR ref is thus in an invidious position not shared by match refs for whom latitude is given. 

The only answer is to limit technology to absolutes such as whether the ball crossed the line. Two to three minute delays are anathema to football as they create a vacuum removing such aspects as being vulnerable when you've just scored or hitting back in the emotion of going behind. 

I am also convinced Teemu Pukki has been negatively affected ever since his brilliant VAR disallowed goal. Pukki is quick thinking but not raw paced, he relies on playing off the last defender and starting his run early. He usually kicks to score just as the defender is making a last ditch tackle (you seldom see him brought down from behind as he is catchable). This very fine margin is vital to him and VAR has put a doubt in his mind hence his problems since.