Van wink

Man City two season ban

Good to see that FFP is beginning to show its teeth - but still got to go to Court of Arbitration for Sport - an option I presume MC will take up. 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Good to see that FFP is beginning to show its teeth - but still got to go to Court of Arbitration for Sport - an option I presume MC will take up. 

They are bound to, but still good to see.

From a european qualification point of view ...presumably 5th now means a champions league place ...and if man city win the league cup and someone in the top 6 the FA Cup...8th place would now get a europa spot......too late for a european charge!?!

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

From a european qualification point of view ...presumably 5th now means a champions league place ...and if man city win the league cup and someone in the top 6 the FA Cup...8th place would now get a europa spot......too late for a european charge!?!

Hmmm. It may be England loses the place if they finish in the top 4 

If they can uphold this then great, it’s a start to levelling the playing field and stops clubs from trying to cheat.

Would love to see the premiership do the same.

1 minute ago, Darth Vadis said:

So this means Sheffield United could qualify for the Champions League in their first season back in the prem? Wow.

That would be great, I’d luck to them, fully deserved.

46 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We only need another half a dozen Clubs to fall foul of the same rules and we could qualify for Europe.

2 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

We only need another half a dozen Clubs to fall foul of the same rules and we could qualify for Europe.

...we could of course just win 4 FA Cup games and get there that way!...

Not forgetting QPR who have kicked it into the long grass. I'm not excusing Bury, but when a club has gone to the wall where we have these offenders and there's a lack of sufficient penalty then something is wrong.

11 hours ago, Well b back said:

Yet still Villa, Derby, Bournemouth to name but a few get away with doing exactly the same thing. 

This really sets a precedent, and one would imagine that several other UK and foreign clubs will be looking at this, watching any appeal outcome, and shaking in their boots. It’s about time the authorities leveled the playing field, or football as we know it will self combust. PSG next!

34 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

This really sets a precedent, and one would imagine that several other UK and foreign clubs will be looking at this, watching any appeal outcome, and shaking in their boots. It’s about time the authorities leveled the playing field, or football as we know it will self combust. PSG next!

Other sports beginning to deal with this too, domestically look at what’s happened to Saracens

• Thanks 1

Interesting that UEFA strike first ? What’s happened to the Premier Leagues FFP teeth? Presume Citeh must be outside of them too? I know it’s more about making a loss , but if you cook the books to hide losses (by suggesting a shirt sponsor deal is worth £80m ) doesn’t that breach something too? 

Long way to go here . Man City will have some very expensive lawyers on this . Already they are looking to rubbish  the process (suggesting leaks) rather than the actual figures. 

On the face of it it does seem certain clubs as is the way get punished whilst others can do what they want. Now I am not sticking up for Man City as such here as I would say all clubs should adapt our model, but it really does seem one rule for one and another for others. We all know Villa did it to get in EPL, so if they were to win the league cup will they be banned from the UEFA league I suspect not. 
If City lose, what’s to stop clubs like us taking legal action in reverse to insist the EPL take and EFL take FFP seriously for all clubs, not just the ones they don’t like. How do Birmingham get -12 points when it is not obvious on to those watching what they did and Villa get away with it because they managed to get promoted ?. Why can’t the league say if the FFP rules have been broken you can’t be promoted ?. Derby have now been charged, but why weren’t they charged a year ago ? Couldn’t be because Lampard was there could it ?.

Dont forget as well that many that are slating Man City want clubs like us to do the same all be it on a much smaller scale.

Birmingham breached a transfer embargo to sign a player, having been repeatedly warned not to, I think they may have done it twice while under Garry Monk? It seems Man City’s offence is more along the lines of the clubs ‘selling’ their assets to companies who are owned by the club’s owners, 

obviously at an inflated price.

Edited by Rivvo
Spell

39 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Birmingham breached a transfer embargo to sign a player, having been repeatedly warned not to, I think they may have done it twice while under Garry Monk? It seems Man City’s offence is more along the lines of the clubs ‘selling’ their assets to companies who are owned by the club’s owners, 

Agreed as done by Villa, Derby, Sheffield Weds, Bournemouth and I guess many others as there is no way a lot of clubs are not spending lots more than their turnover. Just like FFP was supposed to make a more level playing field ( and stop the enevitable spiral of more Burys and Bolton’s ), the implementation also has to be on a level playing field. Just like VAR it’s apply the rules to some and not others. Remember we got a 5 year ban from Europe when we were at our prime because of Liverpool supporters. Again an implementation that was nothing to do with clubs like us but in that instance they decided it was all English clubs. Racism as we have seen does not even get a slap on the wrist so it will carry on. Then along will come UEFA and make an example of one country / club team that they just punish for the sake of setting an example.

• Like 1

Like many things in life such rules are only as good as the enforcement which in turn depends on appetite and depth of pockets. 

The intention of the rules is not always clear . I assume it is to stop clubs overspending and therefore falling into difficulty. But in so doing you protect those already at the top and enjoying the huge income that being at the top brings . 

without wealthy benefactors it would never really change? Chelsea would be nowhere with out Ibramovich. But he’s been doing it for so long that it’s forgotten . And in reality has he/Chelsea done anything wrong  because he has proven to be sustainable. 

Man Ure and Liverpool dancing for joy this morning means their dominance can be secured - and they can continue to spend £100m on a player . 

funny old game Saint. 

• Like 1

There are obviously certain loopholes, as in most financial areas, which clubs exploit. But some go too far. And it is just greed. Serve every club right if they get caught. But their lawyers, at great expense, will find yet another loophole.

Until football becomes capped and the TV money is shared equally among the 92 clubs and merit becomes the overwhelming reason for success, then things will get worse not better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There are obviously certain loopholes, as in most financial areas, which clubs exploit. But some go too far. And it is just greed. Serve every club right if they get caught. But their lawyers, at great expense, will find yet another loophole.

Until football becomes capped and the TV money is shared equally among the 92 clubs and merit becomes the overwhelming reason for success, then things will get worse not better.

Agree with all of that Grandadio.  If and when the hammer falls on clubs  that have played fast and loose with the rules, we at least will be ahead of the game. If footy ever becomes levelled by spending caps etc then we are pre set for it. 

We at least can concentrate on football matters  and our board doesn't have to cover its financial  tracks. 

Just playing devil's advocate here as I’m broadly in line with FFP but how can it be illegal for an owner to spend his own money on his club? I would have thought there is a real possibility of this ending up in court.

2 hours ago, Rivvo said:

The offence is that sponsorship money from Etihad was above market value. I'm not sure of the figures but UEFA state that Etihad paid £200m for advertising that would only have fetched £50m on the open market. The rules specifically legislate against this. 

Derby are also in trouble at the moment but their scam was allegedly selling the ground to the owner at a grossly inflated price. A stupid thing to do as you can only do it once. 

51 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The offence is that sponsorship money from Etihad was above market value. I'm not sure of the figures but UEFA state that Etihad paid £200m for advertising that would only have fetched £50m on the open market. The rules specifically legislate against this. 

Derby are also in trouble at the moment but their scam was allegedly selling the ground to the owner at a grossly inflated price. A stupid thing to do as you can only do it once. 

Yep, that's why I drew the similarity between selling sponsorship to their owners company and the clubs that sell their training grounds and stadium naming rights etc.

Two Year ban given expecting CAS to reduce to 1 year and cut fine.  Chelsea ban cut similarly.  If CAS agree to City appeal and emasculate UEFA and make them powerless.  If UEFA want to be a realistic power in football and continue to be meaningful they cannot afford to be overturned entirely.  They need to have teeth to deal with FFP otherwise clubs like Man C and PSG will continue to flout the rules and cheat their way to every title.