Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Cantwell reveals mental struggle after online abuse

Todd Cantwell has embraced the PL far greater than any other Norwich City player this season.

• Like 3

Ok then, let’s just take the presumption that Cantwell is leaving this summer for what? Say £35 million?? If we are relegated, which is looking likely, would the club be able to hold on to the likes of Buendea, Godfrey and Aaron’s if Cantwell were the sacrificial lamb to plug the financial gap? Because if that were the case, I’d be more than ok with that. What I don’t want to see is us starting again and breaking this group of players up

Edited by JF

3 minutes ago, JF said:

Ok then, let’s just take the presumption that Cantwell is leaving this summer for what? Say £35 million?? If we are relegated, which is looking likely, would the club be able to hold on to the likes of Buendea, Godfrey and Aaron’s if Cantwell were the sacrificial lamb to plug the financial gap? Because if that were the case, I’d be more than ok with that. What I don’t want to see is us starting again and breaking this group of players up

It’s exactly what your going to see though. We can only hope that Farke stays and some quality  additions at championship standard are brought in. 

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It’s exactly what your going to see though. We can only hope that Farke stays and some quality  additions at championship standard are brought in. 

How can you be so sure Midlando?  We may sell one or two but maybe not  the wholesale departures  some  fear. If the squad buys into the idea of staying together and the necessary  improvements are made then sales may be kept to the minimum, we are in a strong position.  Let's not forget that. 

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

How can you be so sure Midlando?  We may sell one or two but maybe not  the wholesale departures  some  fear. If the squad buys into the idea of staying together and the necessary  improvements are made then sales may be kept to the minimum, we are in a strong position.  Let's not forget that. 

I would be very happy if your correct and I’m not. I’m just looking back at the last quality players we had after relegations (Ashton and Pritchard etc) who’s hearts were plainly never into playing 2nd tier football with us again. 

The value of the obvious candidates is not going to increase in the Championship even if we’re at the right end of the table next season. Hopefully we hold interested clubs to ransom but then reinvest adequate amounts to be successful.

24 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I would be very happy if your correct and I’m not. I’m just looking back at the last quality players we had after relegations (Ashton and Pritchard etc) who’s hearts were plainly never into playing 2nd tier football with us again. 

The value of the obvious candidates is not going to increase in the Championship even if we’re at the right end of the table next season. Hopefully we hold interested clubs to ransom but then reinvest adequate amounts to be successful.

👍

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

This is going to be the problem Midlands Yellow.

We can say that we don't need to sell anybody financially, but at the same time we aren't getting promoted if half the players on the pitch aren't up for the fight / their hearts aren't truly in it.

Subconsciously some may wonder whether a long hard slog is worth it, if it just means we finish bottom and don't spend money again (even if the plan in reality would be to spend next time, as I should imagine it would be).

And if a player decides they want out then there is little to stop that happening, if they only give 80% in training and become a bit of a negative influence or disruption, like Howson who Farke and Webber claim they wanted to keep. 

Webber and Farke going to have a hard time keeping players on board with the project, and I should imagine we'll win some hearts and minds but fail with some others.

I fear that Aarons, Cantwell and Pukki aren't going to fancy it. Would be completely guessing with regards to which players would want out and which would be prepared to stay, but those three do worry me.

Could be some other surprises too, even people like Trybull who came from the scrap heap and will suddenly have got peoples attention in Germany... chance to redeem himself in the Bundesliga may be very tempting?

With Aarons... Spurs are crying out for a new right back after having had Walker and Trippier both playing for England, the replacement is a bit of a liability and a level below those. 

If Spurs came sniffing you couldn't blame Aarons for seeing that as the perfect move. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

How you can be far from convinced about Cantwell really is surprising.

Did either Murphy score the goals Cantwell has at this level? In his first season of Prem football in a team bottom of the table?

He is certainly a better player than Pritchard. That's why football experts all over the country are making quite a big deal about him.

In fairness Josh Murphy held his own for Cardiff in this league, it was Jacob that flopped big time,

Josh was always the better rated at Norwich until Jacob's breakthrough season, looks like we were right the first time... Josh the better player. 

Both too lazy or ill disciplined at tracking back though and Farke obviously didn't feel like he could coach it out of Josh, I wonder whether its the same reason Roberts didn't get a sniff of action.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We can say that we don't need to sell anybody financially, but at the same time we aren't getting promoted if half the players on the pitch aren't up for the fight / their hearts aren't truly in it.

Subconsciously some may wonder whether a long hard slog is worth it, if it just means we finish bottom and don't spend money again (even if the plan in reality would be to spend next time, as I should imagine it would be).

And if a player decides they want out then there is little to stop that happening, if they only give 80% in training and become a bit of a negative influence or disruption, like Howson who Farke and Webber claim they wanted to keep. 

Webber and Farke going to have a hard time keeping players on board with the project, and I should imagine we'll win some hearts and minds but fail with some others.

I fear that Aarons, Cantwell and Pukki aren't going to fancy it. Would be completely guessing with regards to which players would want out and which would be prepared to stay, but those three do worry me.

Could be some other surprises too, even people like Trybull who came from the scrap heap and will suddenly have got peoples attention in Germany... chance to redeem himself in the Bundesliga may be very tempting?

With Aarons... Spurs are crying out for a new right back after having had Walker and Trippier both playing for England, the replacement is a bit of a liability and a level below those. 

If Spurs came sniffing you couldn't blame Aarons for seeing that as the perfect move. 

I think we will lose 4 from the obvious 6 at least. That’s going to leave a very big pile of cash and I think Farke will expect to be backed financially for a rebuild. Can’t keep pleading poverty if and when this happens.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Can’t keep pleading poverty if and when this happens.

This is a ridiculous statement. I've never known Norwich to be anything but up front about how much money the club has. It would be hard not to be being as the accounts are published every year.

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The other question with these players is what is in their contracts- depending on certain clauses, we won't always have a choice.

Interesting to see the Cantwell to Liverpool link popping up in the usually reliable David Ornstein's column. £30m mentioned.

18 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This is a ridiculous statement. I've never known Norwich to be anything but up front about how much money the club has. It would be hard not to be being as the accounts are published every year.

It was hidden pretty well back in 2009 unless of course you knew we were in the financial doo doo before Mcnally and Bowkett got a grip of the situation.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Interesting to see the Cantwell to Liverpool link popping up in the usually reliable David Ornstein's column. £30m mentioned.

To be fair, no one could begrudge him a move to Liverpool.

Although there will still be Norwich fans claiming he's not good enough.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If we go down I don't think I'd begrudge anyone leaving for a Premier League team.

My Scouse mate said he thought Cantwell was good and would suit Liverpool. He did add that they would have to teach him to stay on his feet.
And that is something we should take note of. We love our players and debate day and night abut them. But other people from other clubs see them through glass and not yellow frosted.
I said to him, that I thought Buendia was the one to go for and he said, how can I tell if he isn't on the pitch. And if he is that good, why wasn't he on the pitch.
He also said that we took a different approach to this game than the first and he thought we chose to defend as much as it was Liverpool pushing us back.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I would be surprised if he would be an automatic starter for any of the top six clubs. He will imo develop into a player that dictates the play more than he does now - and that is what a top six club would be looking for.  Too often he is just linking play..........yeah, I know, apparently he's under instructions......but he has so much more to offer than that - and that will come with experience and maybe a move away. 

The problem for us at the moment is that we are not getting enough goals from anyone and we need players who will take on the responsibility to be more assertive in getting into scoring situations.  Hernandez does that, Vrancic does that, both of whom could play on the left of midfield.   The position we are in, we are beyond admiring the development of young players and need to get players on the pitch who will score goals or at least threaten.  Of late Cantwell has not been doing that and Buendia has not contributed much yet either in terms of goal threat. 

This is not an attack on the young players - it is a desire to see us look like we will score goals apart from hoping Pukki will do it all the time. Pukki needs a bit of help - maybe Drmic up front and move Pukki out to the left as he has played many times in his career.  The crunch is here - we need goals to get up the table. Something has to change....or if they are picked Cantwell/Buendia/Duda/Rupp have to step up in the goal stakes.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

It was hidden pretty well back in 2009 unless of course you knew we were in the financial doo doo before Mcnally and Bowkett got a grip of the situation.

Where was it hidden?

In the Handbag?

Or the purse?

Who found it again or did it remain lost forever?

Perhaps this time they could hide some in Todwell's gloves?

😯😲😐

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I would be surprised if he would be an automatic starter for any of the top six clubs. He will imo develop into a player that dictates the play more than he does now - and that is what a top six club would be looking for.  Too often he is just linking play..........yeah, I know, apparently he's under instructions......but he has so much more to offer than that - and that will come with experience and maybe a move away. 

The problem for us at the moment is that we are not getting enough goals from anyone and we need players who will take on the responsibility to be more assertive in getting into scoring situations.  Hernandez does that, Vrancic does that, both of whom could play on the left of midfield.   The position we are in, we are beyond admiring the development of young players and need to get players on the pitch who will score goals or at least threaten.  Of late Cantwell has not been doing that and Buendia has not contributed much yet either in terms of goal threat. 

This is not an attack on the young players - it is a desire to see us look like we will score goals apart from hoping Pukki will do it all the time. Pukki needs a bit of help - maybe Drmic up front and move Pukki out to the left as he has played many times in his career.  The crunch is here - we need goals to get up the table. Something has to change....or if they are picked Cantwell/Buendia/Duda/Rupp have to step up in the goal stakes.

There is so much wrong in this post it is mind-blowing.

Cantwell and Buendia are the only midfielders who have contributed anything in terms of goal threat this season. Those two combined have assisted over a third of our goals this season, and have scored over 25% of our goals. 

The idea he should be 'dictating play' is also a fundamental misunderstanding of his role. Show me any team where the play is dictated from a midfielder pushed out onto the left? 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, king canary said:

There is so much wrong in this post it is mind-blowing.

Cantwell and Buendia are the only midfielders who have contributed anything in terms of goal threat this season. Those two combined have assisted over a third of our goals this season, and have scored over 25% of our goals. 

The idea he should be 'dictating play' is also a fundamental misunderstanding of his role. Show me any team where the play is dictated from a midfielder pushed out onto the left? 

I'll leave you to this one..

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sterlng does a good job for Man City from the left. And Beckham did a good job from the right.

Neither of them dictate games though- generally players who do that play from deeper, more central positions. Silva was always more of that sort of player for Man City and Scholes for Man U back in those days.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

This is not really a serious post is it ? It’s just a wind up to get a response.

Cantwell has moved to the next level. From midfield he is likely to score 10 goals in a team ( that although you think are a top 4 team ) will most likely be relegated. On Saturday ( as much as I don’t like saying it as I hate the guy ) his touch and running with the ball was reminiscent of Grealish ( guess you think he’s not very good either ). His one touch in the 1st half ( if you didn’t see it Sky are playing it on a regular basis ) was sensational and something that not many players would be able to do in a game of professional football. When he starts to run with the ball defenders panic and drop off. There are not many players that cause that type of fear. He also I believe made the most tackles in the game, something that shows how disciplined he is becoming. Is he the finished product ? Far from it as he still can be knocked off the ball, but again you see him getting stronger and stronger every week. The media are raving about him, some already saying we have produced yet another Maddison. When we have played the teams near the top ( recently ) he has stood out as a player equal to anything in the opposing team. 
Please could you now state why you feel Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea ( all are linked and not just by paper talk ) are not swarming all over Hernandez and Vantric ?. We are all entitled to our opinion as to who should or shouldn’t be in the team, but to do down what Cantwell is doing is just beyond my belief.

One last point. You have dissed posters saying we must always play the Farke way, the players and system you are talking about is not the Farke way, it does not involve wingers except towards the end of games. You have watched one game all season in real life and think what you saw happens every week, I believe you wanted Hanley dropped this week ? Good job that didn’t happen.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Where was it hidden?

In the Handbag?

Or the purse?

Who found it again or did it remain lost forever?

Perhaps this time they could hide some in Todwell's gloves?

😯😲😐

Lesson for all. When you haven’t got a clue how to answer a question just talk in riddles.

• Haha 1

I think the challenge with these young players is that once one goes the others will all have their heads turned and will want to leave too. 

Of the 6 or so "usual suspects" named as potential sales in the summer I think the ones we are most likely to keep are Lewis (mainly just as he's not played as much to catch the eye although he will play for the rest of the season now) and Pukki although its hard really to get a feel for how Emi would react to relegation and whether he would be desperate to leave. I also don't necessarily see Godfrey as one to cause a huge fuss but he's arguably the one we would miss the least in the short term given we are well stocked for championship quality centre backs.

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I also don't necessarily see Godfrey as one to cause a huge fuss but he's arguably the one we would miss the least in the short term given we are well stocked for championship quality centre backs.

I think he'll go as he's signed with Rio Ferdinand's agency who aren't shy about touting their clients around.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think he'll go as he's signed with Rio Ferdinand's agency who aren't shy about touting their clients around.

I've heard that Lewis' agent is difficult as well. 

43 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Lesson for all. When you haven’t got a clue how to answer a question just talk in riddles.

Anyone ever find out where the money from the sale of Bellamy went?.......

46 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Is that why you totally avoid anything about football?