Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Cantwell reveals mental struggle after online abuse

4 minutes ago, Pugin said:

So why do you think Jurgen Klopp gave Todd such a warm hug and quite a few words in his ear out in the middle of the pitch after the final whistle yesterday? It's not because he can see that Todd has the potential to be the next Alex Pritchard. He didn't do it to any other Norwich player.

Let's prepare a little checklist of what is required of a player to play for a club like Liverpool:

• Superb technique, touch and balance
  • Awareness
  • Willingness to work selflessly for 90 minutes
  • Fitness level to last the pace
  •  Football intelligence, without which everything else is irrelevant
  • Good character
  • Consistency

There could be other qualities to be added, of course, but my point is that Todd has reached a level where he can aim high.

Why do you think he did? Because he's on the verge of being the next Zidane and about to sign for Liverpool? What strange justification. 

Cantwell also;

•  Gives the ball away cheaply 
  •  Lacks pace and strength 
  •  Lacks power when striking a ball 
  •  Doesn't work hard enough defensively 
  •  Has poor positional sense off the ball 

All of which can of course be improved on. 

Quote me on this please, Cantwell will never play for Liverpool! 

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with most of this. For me Cantwell needs to be a bit braver in the final third. Yes he does put in the occasional cross or incisive pass, but he so often just passes a short ball when he is in a position to do much more. He is neat, tidy, quick, hard working, good at linking play and skilful, but he is not potent enough......yet.  This is just criticism and wanting to see him reach his full potential - and recognise that he is still learning.

This critique makes zero sense.

He plays the ball short because Farke teams value keeping possession over everything. Saying he doesn't put in crosses is true, but then nobody in this team puts in crosses, because it isn't how we play.

Hes far more potent that most players in our team. 

• Like 3

If any of our players were on Liverpool’s radar then it would be Buendea. I can’t see any reason to believe Liverpool will be after Cantwell

Whilst I believe that he is currently has huge potential and hope he will be a huge talent, I can see both sides of the coin.

However, he doesn't need to be as good as Wes or any other player he is being compared against, it's still so early in his career.

Criticism is part of the game, difference of opinion also. Both should be welcomed and used appropriately.

However. Abuse and hatred for the sake of just disliking someone you can't possibly know, no matter what they do, is uncalled for and I believe it should have no place anywhere.

Frankly, some people on here take it too far, refusing to see anything positive in the way certain players continue to prove them wrong. They just want to hate. They contribute.

It's easy to say 'ignore them', but this is a common day to day problem for people in the spotlight. If it isn't social media, they'd find another way. Sure, Facebook, Twitter et al makes if easier, more convenient to do so, but this happened long before social media was a thing too. There is always a way.

We, as fans, have absolutely no idea whatsoever what it is like aside from what we see. And what we see is people with some form of fame suffering mental health issues, escalating, taking over an aspect of their life, sometimes even leading them to hurt themselves one way or another. Abuse like this is supposedly absolutely relentless.

If that's something that's ok for some people to contribute to, however great or small, they have no place in a functioning society. 

In short. They are absolute c.nts and deserve any and all ramifications of their utterly cowardly and nonsensical spiteful actions.

I wonder how they would feel if their wife/husband/child/parent was subject to this, feeling like there was no way out and the whole thing ended in the way that it occasionally does. Rare as it is, the fact that it happens in any way at all is already too much.

Absolute shame on anyone who contributes to actual abuse and hatred, and nothing else.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 4

The other positive attributes in Todd's favour are that he is young and homegrown. I have no doubt he will be playing for a top six Premier League  team, whether it will be Liverpool we will have to wait and see. 

I disagree about the comment regarding Todd and his defensive work rate, he demonstrated that side of his game very well last night.......

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The other positive attributes in Todd's favour are that he is young and homegrown. I have no doubt he will be playing for a top six Premiership team, whether it will be Liverpool we will have to wait and see. 

I disagree about the comment regarding Todd and his defensive work rate, he demonstrated that side of his game very well last night.......

So right. Trent Alexander Arnold escaped him just once, when we were pushing on and taking risks.

I suspect that what Liverpool found most impressive is that Alexander Arnold has had two of his hardest games of the season against Norwich. We effectively stifled his attacking threat.

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

It's part and parcel of being a footballer, or any professional in the media spotlight. The only immunity is to stay away from social media. 

I like Todd, and in no way condone abuse of any kind. In terms of footballing ability though, I'm in the minority and remain far from convinced. I really can't seem him being a regular EPL player. He's much more of a Murphy than a Maddison, I think Norwich will cash in on the 'hype,' and rightly so.  Ultimately I see Cantwell having a successful career at championship level. He isn't better than a Pritchard or Hoolahan, who on their day are (were) players stuck in the 'too good for the championship but not EPL quality' category. Huckerby another example.

How you can be far from convinced about Cantwell really is surprising.

Did either Murphy score the goals Cantwell has at this level? In his first season of Prem football in a team bottom of the table?

He is certainly a better player than Pritchard. That's why football experts all over the country are making quite a big deal about him.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, king canary said:

This critique makes zero sense.

He plays the ball short because Farke teams value keeping possession over everything. Saying he doesn't put in crosses is true, but then nobody in this team puts in crosses, because it isn't how we play.

Hes far more potent that most players in our team. 

Yep. If you're going go criticise what LDC is then he has to point the finger at Farke and our entire playing philosophy, not Cantwell. Cantwell is following the philosophy and tactical instructions to a T.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep. If you're going go criticise what LDC is then he has to point the finger at Farke and our entire playing philosophy, not Cantwell. Cantwell is following the philosophy and tactical instructions to a T.

That is a very good point. I will add another positive in favour of Todd should Liverpool be interested in him, he would be able to fit into their style of play without much need for adjustment......

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

How you can be far from convinced about Cantwell really is surprising.

Did either Murphy score the goals Cantwell has at this level? In his first season of Prem football in a team bottom of the table?

He is certainly a better player than Pritchard. That's why football experts all over the country are making quite a big deal about him.

Who, Shearer, Wright.. Merson... most of the so called experts make judgement on a snippet of highlights. 

He isn't "certainly better" than Pritchard. Pritchard was unplayable for Brentford, and for us for a period before his injury. Yes in the Championship, but at no point was Cantwell that effective or unplayable last season. Sure you'll point at Cantwell's goals this season, but I remain unconvinced by is all round game play. 

Cantwell has the potential, for sure, but at this early stage in his career he is being overly hyped based on a few PL goals. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Il Pirata said:

Who, Shearer, Wright.. Merson... most of the so called experts make judgement on a snippet of highlights. 

He isn't "certainly better" than Pritchard. Pritchard was unplayable for Brentford, and for us for a period before his injury. Yes in the Championship, but at no point was Cantwell that effective or unplayable last season. Sure you'll point at Cantwell's goals this season, but I remain unconvinced by is all round game play. 

Cantwell has the potential, for sure, but at this early stage in his career he is being overly hyped based on a few PL goals. 

I like Cantwell but if your correct then the summers the time to sell. Looks like a potential bidding war according to some newspapers so anything around the £30M mark would be gratefully received I’m sure.

35 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Add in Lineker, Sutton and Murphy to that list who were both at the game for the MOTD coverage, so hardly snippets. I agree Todd was not at the level of say Pritchard in the Championship, but my goodness what a transformation and improvement for this season in the Premier League........

If people seriously think Todd Cantwell will be playing ‘his level’ next season in the Championship then, with respect... words utterly fail me. He is not Alex Pritchard 🤦🏻‍♂️ - and he will not be playing there!

If there’s one player that opposition supporters mention to me every week, it is not Aaron’s, Godfrey, Buendía, or even Pukki. It is Cantwell. I wonder why that is? 🤔

He will take the departing Lallana’s place at Liverpool next season. Jurgen likes what he sees. Bookmark it 😉. Sad because he should be playing week in week out, and I would hope that will be with us - still in the Premier League. 

16 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If people seriously think Todd Cantwell will be playing ‘his level’ next season in the Championship then, with respect... words utterly fail me. He is not Alex Pritchard 🤦🏻‍♂️ - and he will not be playing there!

If there’s one player that opposition supporters mention to me every week, it is not Aaron’s, Godfrey, Buendía, or even Pukki. It is Cantwell. I wonder why that is? 🤔

He will take the departing Lallana’s place at Liverpool next season. Jurgen likes what he sees. Bookmark it 😉. Sad because he should be playing week in week out, and I would hope that will be with us - still in the Premier League. 

I'll have a fiver with you Alex. If Cantwell makes more than 10 starts for an EPL club other than Norwich next season I'll gladly pay up, or if he ends up at Liverpool I'll double it! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Il Pirata said:

I'll have a fiver with you Alex. If Cantwell makes more than 10 starts for an EPL club other than Norwich next season I'll gladly pay up, or if he ends up at Liverpool I'll double it! 

That’s very brave indeed and will probably cost you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Ok buddy, I like that idea, I’m on for that! : ). But winnings go to PUPS, that’s the deal!

26 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

“Jurgen likes what he sees” Based on what evidence?? 

Young, homegrown midfielders who combine being comfortable in the ball with decent end product are absolute gold dust. If he grabs two or three more this season there is no way a Premier League side doesn't come in for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JF said:

“Jurgen likes what he sees” Based on what evidence?? 

I heard something last night from a relative of a current Liverpool player. Not just Cantwell either apparently. 

<Conjecture Alert > So say if Liverpool are interested and he genuinely is that good. Lallana was £25m in 2014, what is current money for his ‘replacement’? It has to start at £30m I’d have thought. 

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

I heard something last night from a relative of a current Liverpool player. Not just Cantwell either apparently. 

It’s been widely reported from journalists’ in the know’ that Liverpool have been keeping track on Buendea and Lewis but I’ve not seen Cantwells name mentioned from  so called reliable sources 

The gutting thing about all this is that if we were to manage to stay up this season, then next season with these players progressed and a years PL experience behind them, we really could have kicked on and built something special 

Simple answer to online abuse! - Don't go on it, the human race survived for thousands of years without it and I'd say the best part of 100% of abusers have probably never played professional football so another reason to ignore!

Cantwell has improved beyond all expectations this season and its likely the club will receive interest from more established clubs in the summer although he is not the finished article.

7 minutes ago, JF said:

It’s been widely reported from journalists’ in the know’ that Liverpool have been keeping track on Buendea and Lewis but I’ve not seen Cantwells name mentioned from  so called reliable sources 

Lewis would only be an understudy for Robertson... if he's going to leave, wouldn't he prefer to go somewhere where he can actually kick on and play regularly?

1 minute ago, JF said:

The gutting thing about all this is that if we were to manage to stay up this season, then next season with these players progressed and a years PL experience behind them, we really could have kicked on and built something special 

My feelings, and I’m sure all City supporters, entirely, JF - spot on 👍🏼. That’s the frustrating thing, if somehow all the youngsters etc were like ‘let’s keep this team together and see what we can build from here’, if they gave it that shot, a bit like the Leicester lads did, and we added a few more quality recruits, then who knows? Chances are they will be even better players come next season, and perhaps that combined with us having a ‘rub of the green’ season could see interesting developments at Carrow Rd. 

But that said, if the worst comes to the worst, I don’t think there’ll ever be a team coming down that has such a healthy looking future in all departments, and with likely further reinforcements, you’d have to fancy us very strongly to come straight back up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Lewis would only be an understudy for Robertson... if he's going to leave, wouldn't he prefer to go somewhere where he can actually kick on and play regularly?

You’d have thought so but if Liverpool come knocking then you’re not turning that down. 

Cantwell is definitely off in the summer.  Cantwell was hovering around on the pitch waiting for Klopp.  Klopp delightfully greated him.  I hope your career is a success at Liverpool, Todd.