Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Cantwell reveals mental struggle after online abuse

6 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

The only possible answer lays with Todd himself. 

He needs to find an ability to reassure himself he is hugely supported by almost all Norwich fans and that trolls might not be Norwich fans at all or else are individuals with their own shortcomings using Internet anonymity to sate themselves. 

Todd must have any number of positive mentors to listen to, it is one of the main aspects of Farke's management. 

If he is simply adopting the all too common modern trait of seeking victimhood then that is where he himself needs advice. 

To be fair, it was probably only a passing comment within a quite lengthy discussion with the Telegraph columnist. It has been highlighted and headlined because mental health is so high profile at the moment. So no, Todd's not seeking victimhood; he's just honestly answering a series of questions with disarming honesty and the Telegraph and EDP have headlined it to their perception of newsworthiness.

• Thanks 1

It's been said before but if all social media users were made to have an intelligence test before being allowed to post unsupervised, the systems would cease to exist.

Social media attracts utter cretins and we have our fair share who 'follow' city players. But it takes a special kind of pr4t who sends disgusting messages as a local, to a local lad done good in the competitive world of professional football.

Again, like Maddison when he was here we should enjoy him whilst it lasts and hopefully he will learn to ignore the idiots.

Anyway off to meet a few for a few before the do.

Catch you later..

6 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

In that case, Todd is well within his rights to knock on Jobbos Sty door and when he opens it ,poke him hard on his Porcine Snout. I had no idea(as,I dont do Social media) he was as reprehensible as that, I thought he was just an idiot ,a dolt, an Imbecile, a bit of a laugh. How wrong was I.

I have no probs with a bit of back n forth, it can be a laugh and I donttake offence easily, but you really need to re evaluate your life jobbo , if you have really been on Todders case. 

Can the Club ban him for this? Would be the most fitting punishment......and would give us that increased capacity too.😇

5 hours ago, Hillhead said:

Agreed. A troll account that posts nothing but abuse. Surely someones second account who wishes to do it anonymously. 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Just in case anyone was in doubt about Jobsworth/Waveny/in this case Atlantic...

IMG_20200215_125014.jpg

Whilst I agree with you all. You are giving him what he wants by talking about / reacting to him (as I am now). By far the best way to deal with him is to entirely ignore everything he says, as it is not worth anyone's time.

27 minutes ago, Norwich R Us said:

The easiest way to entirely ignore everything he says is for the mods to remove his platform

So that he can come back as a different alias and spout the same rubbish and you ban that account, for him to start again and repeat to infinity? I'd rather know which alias' opinion is invalid and who I can completely ignore, without actually having to read it to find out.

3 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Whilst I agree with you all. You are giving him what he wants by talking about / reacting to him (as I am now). By far the best way to deal with him is to entirely ignore everything he says, as it is not worth anyone's time.

Unfortunately that doesn’t work - although you’d be right if it did. 

moderation needs to improve, otherwise I think Nuff said is right in that these people (the footballers themselves) are best off coming off social media entirely.

Todd did well again today against top quality opposition. Going to be a regular in the Premier League,  great future ahead for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did so so well today absolutely made up for him and the rest of the lads.

valiant effort against a formidable team. All I can ask is that they give their all and they did. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, All the Germans said:

The bloke is a complete and utter D1CK head. How others on here can give him air and giggle at the malicious stuff he posts about our players is beyond me.

• Like 1

Cantwell has another great game only hope we can keep him. Seems hardly likely

• Thanks 1

People should get off cantwells back ,he still a baby in football terms ,he did some good things today and some bad things today but he'll learn ,the talent and ability is there .otbc😄

• Like 1

But one thing I will say about cantwell is not about on the pitch but off it ,he said he's an easy target because he's a Norfolk lad absolute **** ,i personally would love a Norfolk boy to come through and be amazing as would most Norwich fans .otbc

7 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

But one thing I will say about cantwell is not about on the pitch but off it ,he said he's an easy target because he's a Norfolk lad absolute **** ,i personally would love a Norfolk boy to come through and be amazing as would most Norwich fans .otbc

Any that wouldn’t don’t deserve the privilege of being called Norwich fans 

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Any that wouldn’t don’t deserve the privilege of being called Norwich fans 

Yeah too right it would be amazing for us .😄

Terribly sad news that Caroline Flack has taken her own life today after being trolled online and in the media. Nothing to do with NCFC or Todd Cantwell but every action has a reaction. No one knows what’s going on in someone’s mind and how much they can take.

• Like 2

The simple answer for Todd and similar people is to come off social media where the abuse is found and you won't be subjected to it any more. It's like a TV set, they all have 'off' buttons for stuff you don't want to see.

• Like 1

If LiVARpool really have been thinking of making an offer for Tod, he probably shew he is worthy of that today.

See MOD praising him up again and insisting he will be PLAYING in a top 6 team next season.

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

If LiVARpool really have been thinking of making an offer for Tod, he probably shew he is worthy of that today.

See MOD praising him up again and insisting he will be PLAYING in a top 6 team next season.

He need to goo out on loooooooonnn............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

He need to goo out on loooooooonnn............

Yep. That’s what we did with Maddison and that’s who MOD were just comparing him to. 
I must say today ( as much as I don’t like saying this as I hate him ) when he had the ball he looked like Grealish.

10 hours ago, JF said:

Terribly sad news that Caroline Flack has taken her own life today after being trolled online and in the media. Nothing to do with NCFC or Todd Cantwell but every action has a reaction. No one knows what’s going on in someone’s mind and how much they can take.

I didn't know much about this woman, only that she hosted a programme I didn't watch, but seeing the reports of the hounding by the press and the constant barrage of online abuse you'd need the hide of a bull elephant not to be affected by it. Luckily Todd is not as famous as she was, nor had his name splashed regularly on the front pages of The S*n , but if he was getting half of the abuse she was getting on social media sites then I do worry for him. Also, in this modern era of PR I doubt Todd can turn off his devices even if he desperately wanted to.

Just to add, if you want to understand why Prince Harry took his family away to relative safety from The S*n and The D***y M**l please read up about Ms.Flack, including the articles they have now quickly deleted.

• Like 2

I think it was blown out of proportion to be honest. What was happening was that there were a few critical tweets about Cantwell during that spell when his form dipped a bit and Emi was out. Usually they were not copied in/addressed to him but some “superfan” would decide to reply, whilst copying the original tweet in to Todd himself saying words to the effect of “don’t listen to the haters Todd” thus making him aware of social media threads and posts he would otherwise not have been aware of.

dennis was doing it yesterday tweeting about how Norwich fans had “rabidly” turned on Cantwell last season whilst copying in Todd himself. It all builds a narrative or perception that there was extensive “abuse” when I think it was mainly just a few social media comments.

the Murphy thing came from Webber I think when he was no doubt trying to justify the imminent sale of Josh. Again massively over exaggerated. 

Todd had better develop a thick skin really quickly, the level of abuse he will receive when he moves to Wolves / Newcastle / Everton (which is where, IMO, we will end up selling him to rather than top 6) and performs badly will be on another level. That or get off social media. What is the saying- ‘the people who actively use social media are the very people that should be denied access to it.’ I cannot see the attraction myself, why voluntarily expose yourself to vitriol and abuse from idiots? And yes, I do realise this forum can be defined as social media, however the likes of twitter appear to be an unmoderated ‘free for all’.

34 minutes ago, Herman said:

I didn't know much about this woman, only that she hosted a programme I didn't watch, but seeing the reports of the hounding by the press and the constant barrage of online abuse you'd need the hide of a bull elephant not to be affected by it. Luckily Todd is not as famous as she was, nor had his name splashed regularly on the front pages of The S*n , but if he was getting half of the abuse she was getting on social media sites then I do worry for him. Also, in this modern era of PR I doubt Todd can turn off his devices even if he desperately wanted to.

Just to add, if you want to understand why Prince Harry took his family away to relative safety from The S*n and The D***y M**l please read up about Ms.Flack, including the articles they have now quickly deleted.

If anything positive can come from this then let’s hope that it brings about proper punishment for those that spend their days targeting people online from the safety of their own homes. The time has also long gone where the people of this country should ensure that the sun and other rag newspapers are forced out of existence. At a time when the severity of mental health is now truly being understood it’s scandalous that these rags are allowed to publicly ridicule and mentally torture people on a daily basis. 

It's part and parcel of being a footballer, or any professional in the media spotlight. The only immunity is to stay away from social media. 

I like Todd, and in no way condone abuse of any kind. In terms of footballing ability though, I'm in the minority and remain far from convinced. I really can't seem him being a regular EPL player. He's much more of a Murphy than a Maddison, I think Norwich will cash in on the 'hype,' and rightly so.  Ultimately I see Cantwell having a successful career at championship level. He isn't better than a Pritchard or Hoolahan, who on their day are (were) players stuck in the 'too good for the championship but not EPL quality' category. Huckerby another example.

4 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

It's part and parcel of being a footballer, or any professional in the media spotlight. The only immunity is to stay away from social media. 

I like Todd, and in no way condone abuse of any kind. In terms of footballing ability though, I'm in the minority and remain far from convinced. I really can't seem him being a regular EPL player. He's much more of a Murphy than a Maddison, I think Norwich will cash in on the 'hype,' and rightly so.  Ultimately I see Cantwell having a successful career at championship level. He isn't better than a Pritchard or Hoolahan, who on their day are (were) players stuck in the 'too good for the championship but not EPL quality' category. Huckerby another example.

Possibly but it really does depend on how his game develops. At the moment I would agree that a move to a mid to lower PL team seems more likely and that it’s 50/50 on how he progresses from there. To be fair though, very few people, if any would have seen his development come this far, this season 

5 minutes ago, JF said:

Possibly but it really does depend on how his game develops. At the moment I would agree that a move to a mid to lower PL team seems more likely and that it’s 50/50 on how he progresses from there. To be fair though, very few people, if any would have seen his development come this far, this season 

Agreed. He is still young enough - but I can't see any other club giving him the amount of game time at this level as Farke has. If he moved to an EPL side in the summer, he'd end up being bit part and thus potentially stifle any future development. I just can't see him walking into a Palace or West Ham, for example, and commanding a starting position. 

Edited by Il Pirata

1 minute ago, Il Pirata said:

Agreed. He is still young enough - but I can't see any other club giving him the amount of game time at this level as Farke has. If he moved to an EPL side in the summer, he'd end up being bit part and thus potentially stifle any future development. I just can't see him walking into a Palace or West Ham, for example, and commanding a starting position. 

No, at the moment I can’t either. From a career perspective I believe he would be better staying  here, even in the championship and play. In all honesty you could say that for all of our talents

5 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I agree with most of this. For me Cantwell needs to be a bit braver in the final third. Yes he does put in the occasional cross or incisive pass, but he so often just passes a short ball when he is in a position to do much more. He is neat, tidy, quick, hard working, good at linking play and skilful, but he is not potent enough......yet.  This is just criticism and wanting to see him reach his full potential - and recognise that he is still learning.

10 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

So why do you think Jurgen Klopp gave Todd such a warm hug and quite a few words in his ear out in the middle of the pitch after the final whistle yesterday? It's not because he can see that Todd has the potential to be the next Alex Pritchard. He didn't do it to any other Norwich player.

Let's prepare a little checklist of what is required of a player to play for a club like Liverpool:

• Superb technique, touch and balance
  • Awareness
  • Willingness to work selflessly for 90 minutes
  • Fitness level to last the pace
  •  Football intelligence, without which everything else is irrelevant
  • Good character
  • Consistency

There could be other qualities to be added, of course, but my point is that Todd has reached a level where he can aim high.

4 minutes ago, JF said:

No, at the moment I can’t either. From a career perspective I believe he would be better staying  here, even in the championship and play. In all honesty you could say that for all of our talents

Yeah, bar Buendia. I think he's ready. 

The problem with keeping the youngsters is they may start believing their own hype and feel they're too good for a battle back in the championship. May be better to move them on and get another batch in off the conveyer belt.

I think Godfrey and Aarons, along with Buendia, will definitely move. Cantwell, Lewis.. I see them being here - but the club will try to sell.