Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Cantwell reveals mental struggle after online abuse

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

There is a view amongst some people that the abuse they put out is just light hearted and people shouldn't take it too seriously, that people should just "sup it up".  Well that is all very well if you are able to do that, but there is a line - and that line is different for different people - where they can put up with so much and then there comes a point where they can't take any more and it becomes a mental health problem in terms of them not being able to deal with it any more. 

But fighting the abuse, online bullying or just plain harrassment can either make you look as bad as the people perpetrating the abuse or just plain makes it worse.  With the sheer amnount of abuse that can be put out on twiter, the best thing if you are a target of abuse is just to get off it.  It won't hurt you to be off twitter, even if you are in your teens or early twenties - just realise twitter is not necessary and it will not ruin your life to be off it.

I started to reply, and then went to see who I was replying to. It’s not a surprise to see it’s you LDC, you seem always ready to tell others how they should live their lives. You make a very fair point that some people have different resilience to others, and it’s good to put yourself in their shoes, but then suggest dropping social media! 

You’re not under 25, you have no experience of what it’s like to have grown up in an era where the internet is a central part of people’s lives. Suggesting a 21 year old give it up is like telling them to stop drinking - it’s not impossible, but you are asking them to drop something that is how their social group communicates, that’s core to their everyday life. It’s not going to go away, so we have to learn how to live with it, and I think Todd seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Edited by Nuff Said

2 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

............The guy is a young professional, doing everything he can to be the best he can. Genujnely seems a pleasant lad (we will never REALLY know, granted)...........

There’s an interesting comment buried under the main article. The contributor says that Cantwell was part of a gang who made his daughter’s school life hell and she was forced into having home tuition. Unlikely he would have made this up and he does go on to say that his daughter now cheers for him on the pitch so time has healed things a bit.

As you say seems a pleasant enough lad but things are somtimes not quite that straightforward.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

The bloody internet for you . 

There’s a saying on the tip of my tongue... something about a pot and a kettle?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

There’s a saying on the tip of my tongue... something about a pot and a kettle?

Honestly don’t get you . Great match at Hull tonight though.

16 hours ago, Norwich R Us said:

Very curious line about the Murphy twins:

"Online criticism was believed to have played a major factor in the Murphy twins decision to leave Norfolk."

I might be wrong but there is the Internet outside of Norfolk right? 

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

Maybe at this point some of those who give jobsworth/westcoast/waveney such a free pass for his trolling will reconsider.

I think they’re pretty mild compared to what you see elsewhere. Facebook for instance seems to be an idiot magnet the odd time I have a look at the fan groups.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think they’re pretty mild compared to what you see elsewhere. Facebook for instance seems to be an idiot magnet the odd time I have a look at the fan groups.

Your quite correct and I would advise others on here to avoid them too.

• Like 1

Just now, Nuff Said said:

The reason I mention him is that he was on Twitter directly sending his ****e to Cantwell.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

Maybe at this point some of those who give jobsworth/westcoast/waveney such a free pass for his trolling will reconsider.

As I said yesterday completely unnecessary abuse

cantwell gets a free pass 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

The reason I mention him is that he was on Twitter directly sending his ****e to Cantwell.

Wow!!! Almost unbelievable. Are you prepared to name and shame the culprit, king canary? I think a degree of moral courage is needed by those that truly disapprove. 

6 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

As I said yesterday completely unnecessary abuse

cantwell gets a free pass 

But Jobbo, you are a pretty rubbish troll, your attempts are pathetic,like accusing me of being a republican terrorist......without knowing I served in HM  forces,......laughable and pathetic,  I really doubt that your childish digs at todders caused him any distress at all. You are the 1p5wich of trolls, glory days long gone, now irrelevant. I would say " back under your bridge Troll"......But I suspect you cant fit under it any more.

The above is necessary abuse. Sup boy sup.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

In that case, Todd is well within his rights to knock on Jobbos Sty door and when he opens it ,poke him hard on his Porcine Snout. I had no idea(as,I dont do Social media) he was as reprehensible as that, I thought he was just an idiot ,a dolt, an Imbecile, a bit of a laugh. How wrong was I.

I have no probs with a bit of back n forth, it can be a laugh and I donttake offence easily, but you really need to re evaluate your life jobbo , if you have really been on Todders case. 

Can the Club ban him for this? Would be the most fitting punishment......and would give us that increased capacity too.😇

• Like 2

I'm confused. So Todd woke to find Jobsworth, who isn't Jobsworth, was being an imaginary child's toy and being abused, when he wasn't because abuse is not something to be proud of.

And Todd has discovered that people like Jobsworth have made him tougher and able to handle things better, which used to be called maturity and experience.

So apart from Jobsworth, where is the problem? Or are the media once again looking for things that don't exist?

Could somebody tell the Murphy boys that they didn't go on to become as good players as we thought they might do and we made good money from selling them and are now playing in a higher division. And we have brought in better players. I am sorry if people shouted nasty things at them and typed even worse things on their mobiles.There is a line and 99% never step over it but I'm afraid life brings its own problems to us all.

I don't and I think most people don't feel proud of it if they have occasionally been abusive, maybe just reacting to something abusively in the spur of the moment.  But there are those who have no problem with delivering abuse as a matter of course and see it as a thing to be proud of, or think it is clever in some way. 

Abusing someone in a personal way is abhorrent. The perpetrator often thinks it is light hearted or that it is not very important, but if they keep doing it, it becomes a problem with the cumulative build up that happens over a period of time - and especially if there is more than one person doing it.  The effect is like being ganged up on in a school playground - you get one or two who start the abuse off, other people then think it is ok to do it and start joining in. It is a terrible way to treat another human being, especially when they have not - as in Todd's case - done anything wrong, other than try to be a good footballer.  It's pathetic and cowardly and twitter is full of it - which is why I would say just get off twitter and only use social media that you can keep control of, with a close circle of friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Agreed. A troll account that posts nothing but abuse. Surely someones second account who wishes to do it anonymously. If we were to make everyone use their real photo and full name on here then for every 1000 accounts that behave the way they do 999 would disappear (not advocating this is the solution.)

It's also disappointing that a thread about what is a serious issue is seen as another avenue to wind up and bait for attention.

It was mooted earlier in the thread that being rich must help with this. I don't think so at all. Certain characters, perhaps Barton, may relish the confrontation online and and remind abusers of his bank account / status at any opportunity but if money was the be all and end all would we see such high rates of mental illness throughout our population despite peoples wealth. Avicii committed suicide in 2018 despite having the world at his feet. A bank balance that would never have expired and the opportunity to take himself anywhere and do anything. By the same token would we say any abuse of people in our situation is easier to tolerate because hey - at least we are not starving in Africa.

I have no idea what goes on in Cantwell's head but hes a young footballer playing for the club he loves (and playing well I might add) and found himself attacked for the most inoffensive of things such as his bodyweight and fashion choices. In some ways I think he's become a scapegoat for a few on here just because they know the reaction it gets.

Twitter is toxic and something needs to be done, but there are times where I've wondered if the moderation of this forum needs to step up a little bit, Cantwell has now mentioned a couple of times how the abuse has got to him and we'd be fools to think our house is completely in order. Perhaps it helps with clicks and getting people posting but it needs to be toned down I think and accounts designed to provoke and abuse removed.

The bit I really dont get is that most of Todd's abuse will have come from City ' supporters'. By attacking him directly on Twitter etc they must have been trying to get to him, which may affect his performances negatively,  therefore  giving them more "reasons " to abuse ......thereby  having a negative effect on the club they 'support'.  Mental  

• Like 1

It’s very simple. Anyone who truly supports and loves our football club would never ever even remotely consider abusing Todd, or any of OUR players for that matter. 

To take pleasure from trying to make someone feel like sh1te says everything about you as a person. I can only hope that NCFC get heavy handed and ban any of those found responsible for personal abuse towards anybody that plays for the club that they fraudulently claim to ‘love’.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It’s very simple. Anyone who truly supports and loves our football club would never ever even remotely consider abusing Todd, or any of OUR players for that matter. 

Hard to argue with that Alex.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Too true.  The problem with a serial troll like Jobsworth is he probably thinks his internet persona is really entertaining for everyone.  It's not, it's just really sad that a fully grown man becomes such a state. General attention seeking and thread derailment on here is one thing, but to directly target one of our young players with abuse crosses the line and is totally unforgivable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Just in case anyone was in doubt about Jobsworth/Waveny/in this case Atlantic...

IMG_20200215_125014.jpg

Hard to defend...

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Just in case anyone was in doubt about Jobsworth/Waveny/in this case Atlantic...

IMG_20200215_125014.jpg

That's disgusting.

@Pete Raven the Pink'un run a story about the online abuse of our own players, yet one of the main culprits is granted free reign to troll here too?   Doesn't really add up does it.

4 minutes ago, Norwich R Us said:

That's disgusting.

@Pete Raven the Pink'un run a story about the online abuse of our own players, yet one of the main culprits is granted free reign to troll here too?   Doesn't really add up does it.

Agreed.

Just a suggestion get a family member or close friend to monitor the social media before you read it if your a public figure and get them delete any nasties for your sanity.

4 minutes ago, pete said:

Just a suggestion get a family member or close friend to monitor the social media before you read it if your a public figure and get them delete any nasties for your sanity.

Nope, go after the scum posting such stuff.

We don't live in an ideal world where all true football fans are an all-forgiving and welcoming bunch with identical morals.

I wont say that the psychological effect on Todd isn't an issue. But the fact of the matter is that he's a highly paid footballer and part of that life is dealing with the glare of the public eye.

He himself was posting about going right to the top only recently- at the minute he only has to deal with the whims of most of Norfolk. Move to a Manchester United and suddenly most of the world will care if he makes a bad pass, and they will let him know about it.

WTF is this peratt doing on here then? What could possibly be his reasoning for carrying out these unnecessary pastimes?

Does he play with himself while typing? Is he really disfigured and hates life?

Considering all the problems people have in life, trying to insult or wind up people on here makes me wonder whether a clinic in Switzerland could solve his problems.

The only possible answer lays with Todd himself. 

He needs to find an ability to reassure himself he is hugely supported by almost all Norwich fans and that trolls might not be Norwich fans at all or else are individuals with their own shortcomings using Internet anonymity to sate themselves. 

Todd must have any number of positive mentors to listen to, it is one of the main aspects of Farke's management. 

If he is simply adopting the all too common modern trait of seeking victimhood then that is where he himself needs advice.