Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Cantwell reveals mental struggle after online abuse

Interesting article on the Pink'un homepage:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/cantwell-on-social-media-abuse-1-6515348

Very curious line about the Murphy twins:

"Online criticism was believed to have played a major factor in the Murphy twins decision to leave Norfolk."

What are peoples thoughts on this?  Would athletes in the spot light just be better off avoiding social media completely?  And speaking coldly, is this just an indication that the Murphy's didn't have what it takes to fight their way to the very top?  (In the sense of England youth talent ultimately making way for Championship benches).

I think we forget that players are just very well paid people who are human too.

People like players adopt an online persona, say on Instagram, but what none of us see are the day to day grinds people go through, we in effect see 'best lives' the coolest snapshots.

That irks external observers when, lets say, a player has a bad game; it turns into "all that money we pay him and he can't be bothered to turn up this week." You know how it goes.

It becomes so easy to add to follow a player and upon witnessing a defeat or whatever, turn to sending scathing comments because it's a vent and a outlet to do so for that person who may be having a bad day on top of their team losing.

For some, it's just out and out jealousy - Footballers are seen to have a lavish lifestyle, depicted on various media formats.

I'm not saying footballers are innocent of not playing into the hands of a trope however, but I forget sometimes that these are boys. Boys who are just acted like any other boy of 20/21 just with a lot more money and fame. 

In the instance of Murphys and Todd, who grew up under intense scrutiny from an intense fanbase, this is  amplified by the microcosm of Norfolk where we hold 'our own' very tightly to our chests and chastise them viciously if we feel they've acted out of turn.

I dont know if clubs do it, im sure they do, but perhaps there needs to be tighter controls or classroom lessons given over social media access for players, especially youth players. This sounds very Nanny State I appreciate however it's horses for courses, if the public behaved better on the platforms then there wouldnt be a need for brother's keeper in the first place.

The way I think of it is, imagine you went to work, had a **** day, came home and then opened up Facebook to a bunch of unknowns repeatedly telling you you were useless... I wonder how you'd begin to feel?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I wonder how you'd begin to feel?

To quote Harry Enfield “look at my wad!”.

I’m being flippant, but the money would help. I think you’re right though, at minimum a very rigorous education in using social media, at worst, a complete ban, would be sensible. 

I knew someone who used to work in the CPS who offered training about sexual law and consent to football clubs for their young players to avoid a “Ched Evans” type incident. Sad that it’s even necessary.

• Like 1

Better to read it in John Percy's original Telegraph story:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/14/todd-cantwell-interview-players-arrogantbut-get-balance-right/

Todd's lucky that he has an amazing support system around him - largely his close family and friends and also whatever support NCFC have provided. 

He is sadly just a voice in the wilderness, as there are many people in the stands who will vent their frustrations on players for reasons that are nothing to do with football, and every thing to do with their own lives. To take it to its simplest level, they feel better about themselves by hurling abuse at high achievers. Players just have to condition themselves to ignore the praise and criticism in equal part, but that is such a hard thing to do. 

I like to think we are better than other clubs. Against Palace I was one of two people in the South Stand who turned on a supposed City fan who was giving terrible abuse to Wilf Zaha recently. I surprised myself. It's not social media, where non-engagement is the only solution. Personally I have 100 proper 'friends' on Facebook and that is all, and I am equally select with Twitter. Maybe that is the sort of approach that players should take.

Edited by Pugin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from this site, I have no use for social media. There are enough on here who are handy with abuse without inviting the whole world to.

I think it is a problem that these guys are going to have to put up with, Footballers have always had abuse from the stands and now they have it on other platforms.

In this world there are people will never be of any use. And too many can now hide behind avatars. It isn't right and isn't nice but I don't see how you can prevent it.

55 minutes ago, Norwich R Us said:

"Online criticism was believed to have played a major factor in the Murphy twins decision to leave Norfolk."

I thought this was curious too.

Both left to join premier league teams and I haven't heard this rumour before. Seemed an odd thing to throw in the article with absolutely zero source.

With regards to Cantwell, and if true for the Murphy twins - it is incredibly disappointing. Footballers may be very well paid, but are still human and extreme/consistent verbal abuse can take its toll - particularly when it is your local team.

Edited by HertsCanary93

I don't understand the mentality of people who, after a match of football, feel the need to target a player of their own club on social media with vitriol and abuse. It's normally a sign of jealousy and a realisation that their own life is lacking.

• Like 10

We need to ban lads from driving, drinking and tweeting until they're 21. 25 if they're football players.

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't understand the mentality of people who, after a match of football, feel the need to target a player of their own club on social media with vitriol and abuse. It's normally a sign of jealousy and a realisation that their own life is lacking.

Its only inadequate people that do it.

• Like 3

Least surprising news of the year that he is ‘WOKE’ no wonder our country is going to the dogs with this liberal PC WOKE culture

if he wants to see online abuse he should see what I get on here and other forums. Do I complain no I just sup it up

• Haha 1

Apologies. A thread about abuse shouldn't lead to abuse, even if it is Waveney.😳

Edited by Herman

16 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Least surprising news of the year that he is ‘WOKE’ no wonder our country is going to the dogs with this liberal PC WOKE culture

if he wants to see online abuse he should see what I get on here and other forums. Do I complain no I just sup it up

You invite it, actively and on purpose a lot of the time. If you ask for it you'll likely get it. 

He's a guy just cracking on and doing his job, doing it well I might add.

There's a MASSIVE difference.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

3 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

You invite it, actively and on purpose a lot of the time. If you ask for it you'll likely get it. 

He's a guy just cracking on and doing his job, doing it well I might add.

There's a MASSIVE difference.

And there is the abuse beginning!!!! 

If you could see your D1CK  you might not feel so inadequate

Edited by Van wink

4 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

And there is the abuse beginning!!!! 

Could you please point out what part of that statement is abusive?

Because for someone who raises 'liberal PC WOKE culture' as an issue, you somehow managed to find some abuse that isn't actually there.

Honestly, read it back. And then please, point out the abuse.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I'd rather be Woke, than a Daily Mail believer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Could you please point out what part of that statement is abusive?

Because for someone who raises 'liberal PC WOKE culture' as an issue, you somehow managed to find some abuse that isn't actually there.

Honestly, read it back. And then please, point out the abuse.

Read the first paragraph it’s hardly complimentary!! 

5 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Abusive 

True, but true!

Edited by Van wink

4 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Read the first paragraph it’s hardly complimentary!! 

Non-complimenary is not the same as abuse.

I made a statement, one I stand by, one that had no abusive element.

Honestly, liberal PC WOKE culture, eh?

Ironically this thread only exists because of people who act and post in the way you do frequently. That's a statement of fact. Hate breeds hate.

The guy is a young professional, doing everything he can to be the best he can. Genujnely seems a pleasant lad (we will never REALLY know, granted) He CONSISTENTLY proves haters wrong, over and over. This unfortunately brings jealousy and resentment, then this happens.

You KNOW you have contributed to that. You should genuinely be ashamed of yourself.

I really try to give everyone a fair crack of the whip, sometimes too fair I think, sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

I am, for all intents and purposes, done with you. I can only hope that players young and old, who suffer this (Todd included) can let this sort of thing wash over them so easily.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Non-complimenary is not the same as abuse.

I made a statement, one I stand by, one that had no abusive element.

Honestly, liberal PC WOKE culture, eh?

Ironically this thread only exists because of people who act and post in the way you do frequently. That's a statement of fact. Hate breeds hate.

The guy is a young professional, doing everything he can to be the best he can. Genujnely seems a pleasant lad (we will never REALLY know, granted) He CONSISTENTLY proves haters wrong, over and over. This unfortunately brings jealousy and resentment, then this happens.

You KNOW you have contributed to that. You should genuinely be ashamed of yourself.

I really try to give everyone a fair crack of the whip, sometimes too fair I think, sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

I am, for all intents and purposes, done with you. I can only hope that players young and old, who suffer this (Todd included) can let this sort of thing wash over them so easily.

Yet more abuse honestly the stick I take for absolutely no reason fortunately as I am not WOKE I can handle it 

Just leave social media. It’s a cancerous hellhole that is this generations version of smoking.

in 20 years we’ll look back at social media and shake our heads. It’s horrendous 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

image.png.59dfa73ca4d7fd9623035a5cc78de4e7.png

Snap.

There was plenty of unfair criticism on here about one of Todd’s tweets saying he was determined to get to the top. Bit of pot calling the kettle black?

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Snap.

There is a view amongst some people that the abuse they put out is just light hearted and people shouldn't take it too seriously, that people should just "sup it up".  Well that is all very well if you are able to do that, but there is a line - and that line is different for different people - where they can put up with so much and then there comes a point where they can't take any more and it becomes a mental health problem in terms of them not being able to deal with it any more. 

But fighting the abuse, online bullying or just plain harrassment can either make you look as bad as the people perpetrating the abuse or just plain makes it worse.  With the sheer amnount of abuse that can be put out on twiter, the best thing if you are a target of abuse is just to get off it.  It won't hurt you to be off twitter, even if you are in your teens or early twenties - just realise twitter is not necessary and it will not ruin your life to be off it.

• Like 1

If Todd or any other player underperforms then they deserve criticism, NOT abuse. They are paid handsomely to perform week in and week out, if not then criticism is justified.

Would be interesting to see if it was abuse or just criticism.

9 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

If Todd or any other player underperforms then they deserve criticism, NOT abuse. They are paid handsomely to perform week in and week out, if not then criticism is justified.

Would be interesting to see if it was abuse or just criticism.

Young players deserve encouragement however they play. 

Our criticism should stop at the manager before it turns into abuse. 

4 hours ago, Norwich R Us said:

Interesting article on the Pink'un homepage:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/cantwell-on-social-media-abuse-1-6515348

What are peoples thoughts on this?  Would athletes in the spot light just be better off avoiding social media completely?  And speaking coldly, is this just an indication that the Murphy's didn't have what it takes to fight their way to the very top?  (In the sense of England youth talent ultimately making way for Championship benches).

They had to many flaws to make it too the top and to get 12 million for each was amazing business.😄