Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Spurs in for Godfrey and Aaron's for £80m

Presume it happened in summer... what would we even do with £80m not to mention Buendia and Lewis will probably go for big money as well...

Reckon that would be the stadium expansion money or something?

Really cant see £ 80M for those two. They're decent but only Max has really shone at this level. As a centre half, in order to realise a top price , you have to look on top of your game, BG often looks "stretched", this may be midfield protection issues but without looking                       " commanding".....which he often doesn't, no way will we get the kind of money mentioned above .

BG would be a bit of a gamble for a Club, Max, less so.

16 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Really cant see £ 80M for those two. They're decent but only Max has really shone at this level. As a centre half, in order to realise a top price , you have to look on top of your game, BG often looks "stretched", this may be midfield protection issues but without looking                       " commanding".....which he often doesn't, no way will we get the kind of money mentioned above .

BG would be a bit of a gamble for a Club, Max, less so.

Two young homegrown players when it is possible the overrseas quota rules may get toughened up, either by the football authorities or even imposed by the government...

Aaron's what?

Pedantry aside, between Godfrey, Aarons, Cantwell, Buendia and Lewis we have well over £100m worth of talent and I'm sure at least three, maybe four will be sold if we go down, which could bring in any sort of figure of around £80-100m. 

What would, or could, we do with that money? A Championship club wouldn't realistically sign four or five £10-15m players to replace them, so we'd end up with a huge surplus. Some cretins would probably suggest that Delia will pocket it because they love to moan for the sake of it, but realistically the only two options would be to use the money to make up for a loss of Premier League revenue (which would be a bit of a cop out really as I don't think our liabilities are that high) or to expand the stadium. The stadium will have to be modernised and expanded at some point in the mid-term future anyway, so for me the best solution would be to do it while we have a huge sum of money that we can't use for much else. It also makes sense to do it while demand for tickets will be slightly lower in the second tier in case the expansion would temporarily reduce capacity.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 4

Dream on a more likely fee that would be paid might be £40m.  Not acceptable I hear you cry but these are two relatively untested players who although decent price would not exceed Maddison yet.  Maybe if their careers progress which may be better carried on away from Carrow Rd with a more ambitious club.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Presume it happened in summer... what would we even do with £80m not to mention Buendia and Lewis will probably go for big money as well...

Reckon that would be the stadium expansion money or something?

Uninterested in a stadium expansion at present. Interested in investment in the clubs infrastructure throughout and more importantly the first team XI and Under 23's additions.

Ps. I would bite their arm off for £80million for the pair. However this story stems from the Daily Express....and I wouldn't read too much into those made up figures for the time being.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

Would love this to be correct.

We have Byram, Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman for the Championship and a squad without any additions we already know is good enough to get promoted and I don’t think will be effected like some with the negativities of relegation. Any top championship player would see us as a good gamble for their career.

When this project started we were told we would need to sell 1 youngster each year. So last year Maddison, and now we have Lewis, Cantwell, Godfrey and Aaron’s with under 23s picking us above other clubs.

To be fair however I suspect the one player that will demand this sort of money is Cantwell. 

After years of worry with our club, this will prove given a few years self funding can work as well as big investment.

One of the things that keeps me optimistic despite our likely relegation is that a lot of our first team is so young, and therefore still has a lot of potential, so selling all our best youngsters would be a real downer for me, even if it's for good cash. If we want to become an established Prem team we need to keep hold of a set of players for a few seasons and really develop as a whole squad (the Liverpool squad has been largely the same for a few seasons and it's now paying off), not sell players just as they reach their full potential. I know that's easier said than done...

Anyway, there's no way they'd pay that much for these 2, especially Spurs, so the story can probably be disregarded.

48 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Aaron's what?

Pedantry aside, between Godfrey, Aarons, Cantwell, Buendia and Lewis we have well over £100m worth of talent and I'm sure at least three, maybe four will be sold if we go down, which could bring in any sort of figure of around £80-100m. 

What would, or could, we do with that money? A Championship club wouldn't realistically sign four or five £10-15m players to replace them, so we'd end up with a huge surplus. Some cretins would probably suggest that Delia will pocket it because they love to moan for the sake of it, but realistically the only two options would be to use the money to make up for a loss of Premier League revenue (which would be a bit of a cop out really as I don't think our liabilities are that high) or to expand the stadium. The stadium will have to be modernised and expanded at some point in the mid-term future anyway, so for me the best solution would be to do it while we have a huge sum of money that we can't use for much else. It also makes sense to do it while demand for tickets will be slightly lower in the second tier in case the expansion would temporarily reduce capacity.

I wouldn't usually say this but on this occasion it would be a good opportunity to do the ground expansion without eating into other funds needed to compete. Conceivably we could have enough to pay for the expanded City Stand plus some cash left over to spend in order to bolster the squad sufficiently to be one of the favourites for promotion. We should still at the very least have Krul, Byram, Hanley, Klose, Zimmerman, Trybull, Vrancic, Tettey, McClean, Hernandez, Rupp, Stiepermann, Drmic, Idah in our squad and that's even before you consider that its likely we will still have one or two left from Aarons, Cantwell, Buendia, Lewis , Godfrey and Pukki plus the 2 (or 3 if the Luxembourg guy story is true) players we bought in this window. That should be good enough to have us competing at the top end of the table even before its added to.

Obviously I would prefer it if we actually just stayed up and expanded the ground whilst in the prem but if we are to go down then hopefully we will at least have something to show for it this time around.

49 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Aaron's what?

It's very unusual for a transfer fee to be paid in a lump sum, the liability is amortised over several seasons. Maddison was the exception that proved the rule, as we needed the cash ASAP so Leicester probably got a good deal because they (apparently) paid upfront. Given that the income from any sale(s) will be spread over several seasons, that positions us well to invest more gradually - and sensibly - in players with potential, the academy, and our infrastructure.

The future's bright, the future's yellow!

Even if it was £60m for the pair and York City got £4m of that, it's still £56m.

I would imagine there would be payment structures and bonuses for some of it but I still think we will have a big surplus.

I like the stadium expansion idea best. We want to get that capacity to nearer 40k if we are to compete long term at the top level. I have no doubts we could fill that as well if we were doing well.

55 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Uninterested in a stadium expansion at present. Interested in investment in the clubs infrastructure throughout and more importantly the first team XI and Under 23's additions.

This isn't the first time you've posted some 'in the know' stuff on the forum, which mostly gets lost...

I know you won't tell me, but where do you get this info from??

On the question of those two leaving, I'm fine with it and we're totally in control of the fee garnered.

Bryam in his preferred position, Rupp in as cover and probably a new loan player at RWB.

As for the centre back position, I wonder if we'll give that lad up at St Mirren a crack of the whip? I'd be pretty confident going into the Champ season with Hanley and Zimbo there with that lad as understudy.

It's a perfect advertisement for other quality youth players to get on board at Norwich rather than choose some other club academy to go to.

It's us saying "you work hard, you play first team football, you play in the Premier League and you progress with your career."

We've started to become a really relevant academy choice for up coming talent in this country, that's pretty damn cool in my eyes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

This isn't the first time you've posted some 'in the know' stuff on the forum, which mostly gets lost...

What are you referring to?? I have never claimed to be 'ITK' and figures quoted were stated in this morning papers.

Edited by jaberry2

29 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Even if it was £60m for the pair and York City got £4m of that, it's still £56m.

I would imagine there would be payment structures and bonuses for some of it but I still think we will have a big surplus.

I like the stadium expansion idea best. We want to get that capacity to nearer 40k if we are to compete long term at the top level. I have no doubts we could fill that as well if we were doing well.

Don't think we would go up to 40K and in my view it would be a mistake to go too big. More like 32k-35k bracket. Club will be wary of losing the supply and demand situation they currently have which keeps season ticket sales so constant/high.

49 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I think you're misreading it HAH. I think it's just Jaberry giving his/her opinion rather than claiming to have inside information. 

• Thanks 1

Imo people who think we’d be increasing the capacity while in the Champs are barking up the wrong tree - whilst a decent idea that’s always been seen as a longer term thing for if/when established in the PL.  If in the Champs it doesn’t really make great sense in terms of risk in case we don’t go back up and have a bigger ground that we don’t fill (a couple of seasons outside PL is bound to see a slight drop-off, there’s also fewer away fans).

What we may well need to be is more competitive in the transfer market, to keep ahead of the rest - fees received would help with that. The Champs always has several sides with decent budgets and it relies on a lot of luck replacing £30m-£50m players with free transfers/players looking to resurrect a career.  I’m not suggesting we’d blow fortunes as that’s not our way, but we ought to be in a position of relative strength to keep the squad strength high.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Imo people who think we’d be increasing the capacity while in the Champs are barking up the wrong tree - whilst a decent idea that’s always been seen as a longer term thing for if/when established in the PL.  If in the Champs it doesn’t really make great sense in terms of risk in case we don’t go back up and have a bigger ground that we don’t fill (a couple of seasons outside PL is bound to see a slight drop-off, there’s also fewer away fans).

What we may well need to be is more competitive in the transfer market, to keep ahead of the rest - fees received would help with that. The Champs always has several sides with decent budgets and it relies on a lot of luck replacing £30m-£50m players with free transfers/players looking to resurrect a career.  I’m not suggesting we’d blow fortunes as that’s not our way, but we ought to be in a position of relative strength to keep the squad strength high.

^This

33 minutes ago, SeaTheStars146 said:

I'm sure York will have something to say on that...(York fan living in Norwich here). 

Tough, it's business. Born in York by the way.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I think you're misreading it HAH. I think it's just Jaberry giving his/her opinion rather than claiming to have inside information. 

I stand corrected... said the man in the orthopaedic shoes

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yeah, but... who is really established in the PL? One bad decision and you could be down. I can see that financially we might want a couple more seasons of PL revenue and some big sales but you have to go for it at some point, regardless of what league you’re in short-term.

It might seem counter-intuitive but it may be more likely we expand the stadium IF we are relegated to the Championship. 

No players are irreplaceable but the squad still has to receive investment. 

There is huge potential to increase attendances in the Championship which is a league suited more to the attending fan from no VAR to regular match times. On top of that enabling more families or groups who want to sit together will add a lot more. 

People will still buy season tickets on cost spreading but a large casual support is untapped. 

We need new changing rooms and facilities too. 

I have always railed against player sales but can take it this time to expand the Club. 

There are plenty of sides in the EPL spending so much to stay there they will never grow and will risk 'doing a Bolton' when they go down. 

Relegation would be sad but also a massive opportunity. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

There is huge potential to increase attendances in the Championship which is a league suited more to the attending fan from no VAR to regular match times. On top of that enabling more families or groups who want to sit together will add a lot more. 

Exactly. I feel like we've been indecisive about expansion for near a decade.

You all know NCFC is a unique club in that it's the only 'big' one in the vicinity of Norfolk. Given the sort of football we play now, and the expansion and focus on the academy providing the first team some exciting talent, this seems to me a massive pull to kids, youths and even adults getting into the sport.

I know a lot of people who haven't gone this year because they haven't been able to get memberships or seats 'cos of fans snapping them up owing to the Premier League status. Sure, if we get relegated the pull might not be so great when we're playing Rotherham instead of Chelsea but again, we're the only 'big' team in the region and still think it would provide a pull.

At some point we have to decide. We can't keep putting it off until we're "stable" in the Premier League. Look at Wolves as example, with Moxey (that toe rag) over seeing the Molieneux expansion when they were in the Champ - and they're surrounded by other massive clubs.

I feel we worry too much about the 'what ifs' when we've been run well financially for a number of years now.

... oh for a stinking rich Chinese owner... 🙂

Edited by Half Ar5ed Hipster
Got carried away with how big Norfolk is

15 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

oh for a stinking rich Chinese owner... 🙂

Can we shelve that idea  until China has calmed down a bit. Please.

On second thoughts, if they can build a hospital that quickly, I reckon they could do a new City stand during close season,no problem.

Delia out ,noncontagious stinking rich Chinese construction company in.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 5

If we wait until we are "established" in the prem to increase capacity then we will never do it because as we are always told no team outside the top 6 is established in the prem and its clear that under these owners we certainly never will be.

Doing it in a season where we already have a team good enough to challenge and don't need to spend a fortune in the transfer market (although we will need to spend something of course) makes more sense to me than doing it next time we are promoted when we will need to spend any money we have on upgrading the squad (as we have seen this season). I think this summer is going to be pretty unique in terms of the transfer fees we are going to be able to bring in for players who equally are also going to want to move. i'm not saying we should sell them all but realistically we are going to struggle not to lose 3 or 4 of them.