Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Borussia Dortmund: 'We don't buy superstars, we make them'

Recommended Posts

Interesting article on BBC sport website this morning. And who is doing the same. Make your own comparison!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sound familiar!

Dortmund's philosophy emerged from the financial crisis that brought the club to its knees in 2004...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The best supported club in Europe are operating  just like us ? Don’t think so.

BD are the best supported  club in Europe? Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

BD are the best supported  club in Europe? Really?

You know they are cheeky, and the good thing is they operate like us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

You know they are cheeky, and the good thing is they operate like us. 

Think you have that wrong MY. We operate just like them, and no surprises that our  coach, and Davis Wagner previously of Huddersfeld came from that same club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, City 2nd said:

Borussia Dortmund have the highest average attendance in Europe - almost 80,000 - and were ranked 12th in the latest Deloitte Money League released in January........

 

They play good football and it also helps that a standing season ticket is only about £185 with a season ticket for the most expensive seats coming in at about £640. I would also hazard a guess that tickets also include the cost of travelling on public transport on home match days. We have a long way to go in this country to be truly fan friendly.

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of several similarities - not least their propensity to concede far too many....in their case it’ll probably cost them the title, the cost to us is relegation.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Just like us? Really?

Similar model, just relevant to size of respective clubs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, City 2nd said:

Think you have that wrong MY. We operate just like them, and no surprises that our  coach, and Davis Wagner previously of Huddersfeld came from that same club. 

Are they getting relegated too this season ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key difference is that BD is a big club in the Bundesliga and have every chance of keeping star players they home grow. We are a middle sized club that depend on flogging off at least some of our developed stars to remain financially viable especially in those seasons we are outside the PL. It is the way it is so ee should enjoy them whilst we can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dortmund is Germany's third largest city with a population of around 600,000. The closest team is Dusseldorf which is 50 miles away. Norwich has a population of 200,000 and Norfolk has around 1m.

That suggests that the main reason for the huge support they have is the cost of tickets which is half the cost of tickets in England. 

The German model of football club ownership is completely different from ours https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/german-soccer-rules-50-1-fifty-plus-one-explained-466583.jsp

I really enjoy the German matches on BT. A very high standard and in my mind more entertaining than English football. Most clubs play a style similar to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think you are wrong  about nearest team, Shalke 04 are based in Gelsenkirchen, just down the road ,35 km, from Dortmund . I am sure of this as I used to live there  and would regularly watch both teams as I was only an hour away on the autobahn. That area is very similar to the industrial Midlands  in England,  with lots of big and medium sized  cities  and clubs, one running into the other in a massive urban belt. Hard to find Shalke on a map as it's a district of Gelsenkirchen, a bit like hard to find Aston Villa in Birmingham.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Think you are wrong  about nearest team, Shalke 04 are based in Gelsenkirchen, just down the road ,35 km, from Dortmund . I am sure of this as I used to live there  and would regularly watch both teams as I was only an hour away on the autobahn. That area is very similar to the industrial Midlands  in England,  with lots of big and medium sized  cities  and clubs, one running into the other in a massive urban belt. Hard to find Shalke on a map as it's a district of Gelsenkirchen, a bit like hard to find Aston Villa in Birmingham.

Let's hope it's less of a dump? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

The key difference is that BD is a big club in the Bundesliga and have every chance of keeping star players they home grow. We are a middle sized club that depend on flogging off at least some of our developed stars to remain financially viable especially in those seasons we are outside the PL. It is the way it is so ee should enjoy them whilst we can.

Yep, keeping star players? Sounds familiar!

 

The German club stand to make a massive profit if, as expected, 19-year-old Sancho leaves in the summer for a fee likely to be in excess of £100m

In January 2019, Dortmund sold another youth player, USA forward Christian Pulisic, then aged 20, to Chelsea for £58m, and immediately took him on loan for the remainder of the campaign.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the modeal they have there and I love what we're doing too. Even if we are more likely to have to sell our better youngsters than they would be.

However, when that happens you have to find the next Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis, Cantwell etc. and that seems to already be in place to an extent.

I guess the difference is that they can afford to pay £10 million for a young Sancho, who had not played any first team games at time of buying. That's not something we can do (yet) and may not ever be able to. However, the principle is very similar indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Also similar to what 95% of teams do in league one and two. 

Except that we'll do it at a higher  standard due to our cat1 academy.  BD are at a similar level of academy , just with more valuable players( mostly), which, I am sure is what we aim to do, in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Let's hope it's less of a dump? 

I was there in early eighties  . Gelsenkirchen  was not somewhere  we went on a night out, Bochum and Dortmund however were great  places, as were lippstadt, beilefeld and Paderborn,  all with watchable footy teams . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Also similar to what 95% of teams do in league one and two. 

 

29 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Also similar to what 95% of teams do in league one and two. 

Really!! How about sharing which clubs in league 1 and 2 these clubs are?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Also similar to what 95% of teams do in league one and two. 

With their cat 1 academies? 

Edited by Nuff Said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, City 2nd said:

 

Really!! How about sharing which clubs in league 1 and 2 these clubs are?

What, and him actually substantiate something he said?

Come on City 2nd, this isn't your first day here 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically buy cheap and develop your own. As I said it’s the blueprint for any team that’s self financing. Of course it’s easier said then done but two stand out teams of late are Coventry and Rochdale but most teams try to do the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if you were right about Coventry and Rochdale which is debatable, 2 from 48 isn't anywhere near 95%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Even if you were right about Coventry and Rochdale which is debatable, 2 from 48 isn't anywhere near 95%.

Thanks for your reply Nutty. I said they were the stand out teams of late but most teams in league 1 and 2 try it. They may not be very good at it but it’s how they hope to survive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Thanks for your reply Nutty. I said they were the stand out teams of late but most teams in league 1 and 2 try it. They may not be very good at it but it’s how they hope to survive. 

Amazing! Thank you👍

Could you name the "most teams"?

And is "most" the same as "95% of teams"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being in the top flight of their country and generating nearly £350m in a season helps. We are not running the same model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Even if you were right about Coventry and Rochdale which is debatable, 2 from 48 isn't anywhere near 95%.

Thanks for your reply Nutty. I said they were the stand out teams of late but most teams in league 1 and 2 try it. They may not be very good at it but it’s how they hope to survive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...