Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

Best Norwich city player and why

41 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It has to be my grandson Kevin Keelan. Sorry, no need for the rest of you to put anything or anyone else because you will be wrong.

Although I plumped for Wes, as a kid ,whenever I played in goal as a kid, which wasnt much, too small, but everyone had to go in sometimes, messing around 'up the rec', I WAS Kevin Keelan.

Commentary in my head             " Keelan Collects on the edge of his box, looking to dominate as always , and with a mighty thump of the ball starts off another Norwich City attack" .....All said in John Motsons voice, of course.

All said in John Motsons voice, of course.

While I was an apprentice at Jarrolds in the 60's, we had a tradesman called Alec Miller. He used to do the TocH hopsital commentaries. 

Your use of the word "thump" was out done by Alec who would say that Keelan had "whumped" the ball. And things like "**** time Naaaridge stopped plairn orl this footborl and goton withut".

8 hours ago, king canary said:

It hugely depends on the criteria. 

In terms of pure talent I think Maddison tops anyone I've seen on the pitch at Carrow Road, but he was only here for one season.

If we're talking England caps then there is one player who spent 18 months at Carrow Road not too long ago and has 19 England caps now, although I don't think he'd get into may discussions...

I’m guessing that’s the city legend that is Mr Danny (I fluked my whole footballing career and now I’m doing the same on the radio) Mills. Karmas got to bite him in the a*** at some point.

My answer would be Wes Or WFL Grant Holt.

Holt kept on proving himself and everyone else wrong. Pushed himself to achieve at every level and succeeded, his career is a fantastic story that is robbed of the ultimate fairy tale ending which would have been a deserved England call up.

Wes, like Hucks had the ability to give fans anticipation of something happening simply by receiving the ball.

Put them together, simply magic.

Ian Crook for me I remember thinking how you add him to a team it becomes a passing team enhancing the talents of those around him.  Oh how he would be appreciated in this day and age... as opposed to being overlooked in favour of Carlton Palmer el al.

Looking back at the old days how England never made better use of Crook and possibly even more so Le Tissier ...big club snobbery.

However as others have stated the single biggest impact on a city side i ever saw was Huckerby. 

Edited by Fromage Frais

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Too many variables to say one or another as out and out "best".....but -

For sheer class - Martin Peters Agreed

For sheer excitement - Darren Huckerby - Possibly, but Darren Eadie for me. Completely carried us at times

For sheer ability - James Maddison. Wes would have to be a close second. at least

For sheer character - tie between Duncan Forbes and Grant Holt. Duncan Forbes - although Grant Holt deserves an honourable mention!

Most appreciated player - Kevin Keelan. Got to mention Dave Stringer - although his managerial stint is included.

Best passer/play maker - still Ian Crook for me, not Emi - Crooky shades it because of his free kicks. Agreed Crook - some of those passes...

Best "one man team" player - Steve Bruce. No as above has to be Eadie for me - at times during "the worst years", I felt he carried the team.

Best goal keeper - Chris Woods. No, sorry Kevin Keelan for me

Biggest emotional attachment to a player - for me that is Bryan Gunn, for on field and off field contribution. Yes.

Favourite player - Dale Gordon. I can't think where to start - definitely need longer!

Trevor Hockey

No real natural ability but the aggression made up for it. Hated and booed whilst playing for Sheffield United against us, loved by us when playing for us.

Another honourable message has to go to Justin Fashanau. Goal of the season against Liverpool and who can remember against Forest him leaving both the hard men of football on the floor in one go ? 

53 minutes ago, Badger said:

Nice selection here from Lakey and Badger.

I would also add though Kevin Drinkell as one of my favourites. Agree with Stringer in the list too. 

Martin Peters was one of the most important players in the modern game. He could play in any position yet there wasn't a position that suited his incredible talent. 

His time at Norwich was a joy, should still have been playing for England at that age. 

9 hours ago, daly said:

Got to be Kevin Keenan around 570 appearances over 17 seasons followed by Peters then Hucks. That was loyalty a forgotten word by today’s players 

I think in society in general, and 'footballer' is just a job, there is much less loyalty from employers to employees so I don't see why it would be any different the other way. 

Look how Roeder rewarded Huckerby's loyalty, by announcing his departure after the final home game of the season so only a couple of thousand away fans got to say goodbye! 

Its funny how players are perceived internally and how they are perceived externally. 

I mention the legend Ian Crook to fans of other clubs and nobody has ever heard of him or remembers him. They usually just say "Jeremy Goss",  yet he was average relative to our squad during his time here and only got a handful of Wales caps.

And you never hear Norwich fans talk about Efan Ekoku, but in terms of his career legacy he won the African Cup of Nations (while a Norwich player!) and beat the record for most goals scored in a Premier League game, although that was beaten not too long after! 

I mentioned Mark Bowen in this thread as the best full back we've ever had and somebody did a laugh reaction, yet probably wouldn't if I mentioned Jeremy Goss, yet Mark Bowen played 399 games for us and won 43 caps for Wales.... Jeremy Goss played half as many games in 4 more seasons, was often on the bench behind better players and won 9 Wales caps! 

Jeremy Goss had a worldie in him and pulled some famous match winning moments out of the bag, but was otherwise a pretty average player. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Sutton for me too...

In the second half of the 93/94 season there was a spell of a dozen or so games where he was simply unstoppable and everything he touched with head or foot went in...around the tine it was rumoured where he had a £500 goal bonus.....he was taking on the opposition single handedly.

...went on to score 25 premier league goals which is quite an achievement and ended the season moving to Blackburn for a British record fee of £5m at the time.

Holt and Pukki has come close in terms of prolificacy (is that a word?)....but in the 2nd tier ...

....I will give a special mention to 2 other players who tore the 2nd tier apart too....Huckerby who single handedly won us the league in 2004 (how Fleming won player of the season that year is a mystery).....and Darren Eadie in 96/97 was unplayable...20 goals from a floating role behind the striker which earned him an England squad call up as a second tier player...which was unheard of in those says

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary