Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

Best Norwich city player and why

Martin Peters for me closely followed by Emi. 

But for his almost unique ability to make people who are sitting down stand up it has to be Darren Huckerby 

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I think it’s an impossible question to answer . 

Agreed. You can only really judge on your own experiences (so I’ve got no idea how good Martin Peters actually was for instance, just from what I’ve heard). 

Then is the questions meaning best technically or best in terms of most impact to the club, most cult status following? 

I can only really remember from around 98 ish. So Hoolahan is probably the best technically. Holt had a massive impact on the whole squad, but then if you put Holt into our side in 98, say, would he have had the same impact? Not sure. Huckerby probably had the biggest effect single handedly. Then you’ve got Iwan and Malky who as a kid were my big heroes. Ashton was pretty decent but not here long enough to come in as Norwich’s best.

If having to choose one name from my lifetime/memory, I would probably go Huckerby.

Ashton might be one of the best players to have played for us, however he isn't a hero because he was never part of a winning team as such - just part of one that was on its way down. Whilst he showed his class and scored great goals in the prem, there weren't enough 'legendary moments' created by the team at the time that he was there.

Ashton also got an England call up - something that Huckerby and Holt never quite managed, so it's a tricky question to answer.

It hugely depends on the criteria. 

In terms of pure talent I think Maddison tops anyone I've seen on the pitch at Carrow Road, but he was only here for one season.

If we're talking England caps then there is one player who spent 18 months at Carrow Road not too long ago and has 19 England caps now, although I don't think he'd get into may discussions...

What is best - technical ability, players you love or the size of their impact on a club?  I would have Holt in the latter but not the former,  ditto Forbes & Gunn.

As for best technical players,  depending on the day I could choose Green, Bowen, Peters, Reeves, Crook, Sutton, Eadie, Ashton, Wes & Buendia - and so many others. 

Then there are the rarities - those that do both,  Maddison (for his transfer fee) and Huckerby,  who added genuine threat going forward & transformed our defence in that championship winning season,  from one that was conceding more than 2 goals a game to one that looked solid. 

Today I would say Emi has more potential that any I have ever seen while Peters was still years ahead.  Bowen is easily the best defender we have ever had.

• Like 1

The best I've actually watched would have been Ruel Fox. Especially in those European games!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Hucks, Hoolahan or Holt. No explanation needed. 

Triple H.

Then add your name and it's quadruple H! 🙂

• Haha 1

Got to be Kevin Keenan around 570 appearances over 17 seasons followed by Peters then Hucks. That was loyalty a forgotten word by today’s players 

58 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Triple H.

Then add your name and it's quadruple H! 🙂

I taught Gary Doherty all he knows. 

Sorry about that. 

1 hour ago, daly said:

Got to be Kevin Keenan around 570 appearances over 17 seasons followed by Peters then Hucks. That was loyalty a forgotten word by today’s players 

Some players, yes.

But when you said this I immediately thought... Well, Wes was with us for 10 years and Tettey has been here for nearly that long too. Plus Hucks and Russ Martin, neither of whom wanted to leave. You have to remember it is sometimes the club's doing.

So, I don't think it applies to everyone.

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Martin Peters for me closely followed by Emi. 

But for his almost unique ability to make people who are sitting down stand up it has to be Darren Huckerby 

Emi isn't anywhere near top for me, as wonderful a talent as he is.

For me, as a child of the Mike Walker first era onwards, Ian Crook would always anaze me. I wanted to be him so bad as a kid! Wes is a close second. I think Dean Ashton probably third. Possibly the most talented striker I've ever seen at Carrow Road. A shame his career was cut so short.

Dean Ashton would have become best player ever to play for City, although this did not happen thanks to Wright Phillips.  Had the potential to be England's best. 

5 hours ago, king canary said:

It hugely depends on the criteria. 

In terms of pure talent I think Maddison tops anyone I've seen on the pitch at Carrow Road, but he was only here for one season.

If we're talking England caps then there is one player who spent 18 months at Carrow Road not too long ago and has 19 England caps now, although I don't think he'd get into may discussions...

Ryan Bertrand?

Martin Peters for me. But Chippy is up there. Ditto Hucks and Wes.

Hope we can say the same about one of our current players in 10-15 years time.

32 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Add Becchio to that please

Becchio was only here for 5 mins and barely played so.... NOPE! 😋

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Difficult one, I still think Mark Bowen is our best ever full back. Possibly him. 

Yeah great player in probably our greatest team.😄

Too many variables to say one or another as out and out "best".....but -

For sheer class - Martin Peters

For sheer excitement - Darren Huckerby

For sheer ability - James Maddison

For sheer character - tie between Duncan Forbes and Grant Holt

Most appreciated player - Kevin Keelan

Best passer/play maker - still Ian Crook for me, not Emi - Crooky shades it because of his free kicks.

Best "one man team" player - Steve Bruce

Best goal keeper - Chris Woods

Biggest emotional attachment to a player - for me that is Bryan Gunn, for on field and off field contribution.

Favourite player - Dale Gordon

• Like 1

Has to be Wes for me, small, left footed, ability not recognised until later in his career.  When a player  has little pace or physical  attributes,  it all comes down to skill and vision,  things Wes had to give away.  Other players were not always on his wavelength  as hed get the ball in a sticky situation, get himself out of that situation and lay on a through ball  to a player who had not always gambled on Wes delivering. He would then bend, put his hands on his knees, as if to say " oh ye of  little faith, I'd knew  I'd deliver, you should have  believed  it too".

weschart.jpg

Plus this of course, Wes' pass map from the playoff final. Pass completion 100%!!! Yep, 100%. Now that's what I call ' magic in his feet'.

Edited by wcorkcanary

It has to be my grandson Kevin Keelan. Sorry, no need for the rest of you to put anything or anyone else because you will be wrong.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Haha 1

Clint Easton for producing the most amazing piece of skill ever seen by the corner flag in front of the lower Barclay block E.

Can’t remember who it was against but it was under the floodlights!