Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

Did farke show to much faith in last year's players

Yes and no: tbh he didn’t have a lot of choice.  I was disappointed we didn’t use Amadou more, but he clearly wasn’t fancied in his preferred role so that’s just the way it is.

I would imagine that giving new contracts to at least a dozen players over the summer made it abundantly clear that was how he was going to do it.

To what extent he was the driver in that decision, we'll never really know; was it a case of being told his budget, and deciding to spend most of it on bonuses and new contracts for existing players? Or was that the board's decision for which Farke was forced to toe the line?

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle ground. I'd imagine that the 'sustainable future' rhetoric needed to be bought into rather than not adequately rewarding those players who had overachieved to bring us the title in order to finance new players on greater wages.

Can't really argue with the logic; the problem was that, Byram aside, the players we brought in have added very little support to that squad of players (Drmic, Fahrmann, Roberts, Amadou). A ton of key injuries in the first few months really didn't help the squad to make the step up either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Possibly.

The annoying thing is that we had room for a couple more without having to remove anybody from the registered squad.

So we could have been loyal to all those guys but still added a bit more competition.

But would a couple more £1 million players have made any difference? Unless you are dropping £10m on a player I don't know how it could have made a real difference really, proven quality and exciting prospects cost money. 

I admire the way Celtic do business, they seem to find really good younger players at a good price and sell them on at a big profit. Done it time and time again, hit the jackpot again with this latest striker who is their Dembele replacement. 

• Like 1

Stiepermann was my favourite player last year.

He had a couple of relatively straightforward chances to score at Anfield in the opening game and if one of those had gone in I'm sure his performances this year would have been better.  I certainly don't think too much faith was shown after his performances last year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wooster said:

He had a couple of relatively straightforward chances to score at Anfield in the opening game and if one of those had gone in I'm sure his performances this year would have been better.  I certainly don't think too much faith was shown after his performances last year.

Same here but I feel farke persevered with him too long  not up to this level😄

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Possibly.

The annoying thing is that we had room for a couple more without having to remove anybody from the registered squad.

So we could have been loyal to all those guys but still added a bit more competition.

But would a couple more £1 million players have made any difference? Unless you are dropping £10m on a player I don't know how it could have made a real difference really, proven quality and exciting prospects cost money. 

I admire the way Celtic do business, they seem to find really good younger players at a good price and sell them on at a big profit. Done it time and time again, hit the jackpot again with this latest striker who is their Dembele replacement. 

Yeah I agree there after a Murphy brother ,there probably make him world class .otbc

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Possibly.

Celtic have a massive ' Carrot' for attracting players.......almost guaranteed early stages champions league or europa league, up till christmas anyway. Most of their league and donestic cup games are virtually practise matches for the important eurpean ones. I reckon thats why so many players with potential are prepared to play in a footy backwater, they know theyll be seen at a much higher level, for part of the season anyway. Probably not too shabby a feeling walking onto the pitch for the old firm derby either. If you can shine in that fixture, you've defo got something about you.

9 hours ago, wooster said:

I think he'll shine again should we find ourselves back in the Champ. A quality number 10 at that level.

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

This is bang on. We could have spent money on like for likes and ended up wasting that money. It's tough to stomach that we'll go down having no spent the wonga but what would have been the point spending money we don't have in certain instances - Villa, 150 mill and counting, are one place above the relegation zone.

24 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I think he'll shine again should we find ourselves back in the Champ. A quality number 10 at that level.

This is bang on. We could have spent money on like for likes and ended up wasting that money. It's tough to stomach that we'll go down having no spent the wonga but what would have been the point spending money we don't have in certain instances - Villa, 150 mill and counting, are one place above the relegation zone.

Yep, this money thing is the unanswerable conundrum. The whole thing is a massive wind up, though im happy enough that we havent risked financial stability for possible retention of PL status. I personally think that a steady forward progression, building the quality of the playing squad , will, over time, prove fruitful. Tbe truth is that there are no guarantees, either way. If  SW has messed up and we sit mid table at end of next season , having retained most of our current desirable players, then we may have to think again. Leitner, hernandez, steips etc are plenty good enough for the champs but if we are successful and return straight away then these are the players that must be moved on as they've all proved to be a little short of the standard required in PL. They will command decent ,if not massive fees if we have a good campaign, which in turn can be used for additions where we need them. It aint over yet, as Jobbo in a dress hasnt quite cleared her throat in readiness for her singing. Look out ye Scousers we're gonna spoil your party.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Leitner, hernandez, steips etc are plenty good enough for the champs but if we are successful and return straight away then these are the players that must be moved on as they've all proved to be a little short of the standard required in PL.

This is exactly my thinking. Should we come back again, then hopefully we'll be in a more financial position to replace whoever isn't quite good enough.

Originally I was of the party that was waving the finger of sentimentality reasons that we kept those players on, but now I feel Webber is not one for such feeling and as Teemu rightly says out above, we simply didnt have the £ to replace them, and again what would be the point of swapping like for like? I do think they also deserved a shot at it, shame they've come up short no matter which way you paint it.

No. He was hamstrung but the financial direction of the club. I have concerns with the board's decisions and with some of DF's decisions and use of subs. But overall I have been entertained this season and if, and it is if, we can keep most of this squad here for next season should we stay up🙏, then the board has to back him with money.

And if we go down, no blame can be attached to him so must stay. And try and keep the squad together. That would be one way of backing him without too much trouble.

I think footballers have to realise that they are not all equal. They aren't sat on production lines all doing the same job and same output. Some are better than others and produce more. So if the club has to keep some on Prem wages and others on Championship money then so be it. None of our players will be harmed internationally by playing in the Championship so apart from money, there is an argument to be made for staying with us. No point going to some clubs, like Pritchard, and end up worse off.