Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

The difference

Plain to see really Sheffield United spent 41 .5 million in the summer to invest in staying in premier league then another 23 million in jan . Now looking for top five place . Then you have us who spent virtually nothing . Chris Wilder has to be admired what a achievement. 

Thank God you said it. I love a new, fresh topic.

I can't actually believe Sheffield United's spending compared to our lack of hasn't been covered yet this season.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

Plain to see really Sheffield United spent 41 .5 million in the summer to invest in staying in premier league then another 23 million in jan . Now looking for top five place . Then you have us who spent virtually nothing . Chris Wilder has to be admired what a achievement. 

Since this is a groundhog day thread I think it's my duty to say......... Fulham! Aston Villa! 

And will you still be saying the same

1) If we stay up

2) If this time next year we are top of the Championship and they are bottom of the EPL ?

Watched the game and the difference between us & them is nowhere near £65m.

In truth, in terms of overall ability there's not much difference at all.

They are just a little better in a couple of areas that we have been weak in.

4 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Very  true Planso, we are a gnats Jimmy away from being quite an impressive side with a great footbal style. Credit to all at the Club, we looked like a basket case  just over two years ago.sure, we nay well be relegated , but still in good all round shape. A few ifs and buts and our season could have been very different and by that I dont mean if we'd  spent more. Tim Klose  injury, Amadou being eclipsed by the man he was brought  in  to replace. Drmic injury adding to pukkis  workload, I could go on but these topics ha e been covered ad nauseam. I still bet a pound to a pinch of shoite that there'll be yet another thread soon saying " if only wed spent more"....it'll  be disguised of course but will soon show it's TRUE nature......how boring. 

Plenty more seasons to come,  and we haven't even finished this one  yet.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowhammer said:

🎶 They say our love won’t pay the rent🎶

Well I agree on the bit about Wilder. I don't like the bloke really, but he's done a great job.

I too feel we should have spent more ,but the comparison is not really on imo . There are so many examples of clubs where it went pear shaped even after spending money.

I feel Farke & Webber should have been  backed, because I have faith in them getting the right guys in.

Sheff U have had luck with the injuries and they have a good manager , ... but I don't think Webber or Farke would have signed a player like McBurnie , certainly not for that kind of money.

6 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Well I agree on the bit about Wilder. I don't like the bloke really, but he's done a great job.

I too feel we should have spent more ,but the comparison is not really on imo . There are so many examples of clubs where it went pear shaped even after spending money.

I feel Farke & Webber should have been  backed, because I have faith in them getting the right guys in.

Sheff U have had luck with the injuries and they have a good manager , ... but I don't think Webber or Farke would have signed a player like McBurnie , certainly not for that kind of money.

Like Amadou, Fahrmann,  Drmic and Roberts?

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Like Amadou, Fahrmann,  Drmic and Roberts?

Do you think they would have signed Drmic or Roberts or even Amadou if they would have had 50 m £ at their disposal? Fahrmann is not a bad GK imo

Edited by ROBFLECK

There were question marks wether trybull ,onel,Kenny,stiepermann, could make the step up so they should have strengthend accordingly but they didn't so that's why we are where we are .otbc😄

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Defensively they are so much better than us they were last season and this one too,plus they have not had the injuries in defence like us.otbc

29 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Defensively they are so much better than us they were last season and this one too,plus they have not had the injuries in defence like us.otbc

What you really mean is that they don't play tippy tappy around their penalty area and they don't use zonal marking

We got promoted unexpectedly and had no funds to back the manager with....   what's that phrase your Mom used to tell you............. it doesn't grow on trees!!!!!   

How much was the lad Sheff Utd signed from Preston (Callum Robinson) ..... the one that's already on loan at West Brom - £7m.    How much rubbish did the club have to put up with for signing Naismith and RVW for similar amounts?    They should never have signed an Everton reserve anyway and admittedly it was a different era.    but still, damned if they do / don't.

There are a few things Farke could learn from Wilder (the.... we're going for it vs we expect to be 20th messages for example) and he's having to learn on the job, but overall, what he and the club are doing can only be applauded.    Evident improvement in our performances, we aren't far away from seeing results, they are honest and transparent with supporters and have created a club where everyone is in it together.     That'll do for me.   

The difference eh!..... the fine margins perhaps and what confidence does for a team.     Sheff Utd are doing well, not because of the signings but because collectively, they've found a way to get results and up until now, we haven't but the defensive base they have is a better starting point than ours was.       Despite the money they have spent, would be interesting to see the market value of their players compared to ours; suspect that cumulatively there's is significantly lower than ours.    

OTBC

• Like 2

No matter what I tell myself to read the articles about Sheff Utd on the cusp in the UEFA whilst we're preparing for relegation is really quite gutting.

Especially when I dislike Chris Wilder and all the derisory unnecessary cr@p their fans throw at us from that 1-0 win at Bramall Lane those seasons ago.

But what can you say? They've done the extraordinary, Wilder has galvanised a bunch of unfamiliar names into a behemoth whilst we'll no doubt get thrown the media bone of "yeah they play decent football but classic yo-yo team going down again".

Yeah can't say I'm overly chuffed about it being honest, it's hard to stomach, just got rise above and get used to the fact we do the best with what we have. 🙂

1 hour ago, Canary dwarf said:

That's the difference in a nutshell.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

if the defenders let too many goals in last season why didn’t we strengthen in the summer in that area ? 

Because........ in the words of Farke, if we didn't play the young lads, they couldn't get the experience necessary to develop and  improve.... as it happens, they deserved their chance in the Premier League, they all did including the likes of Hernandez, Leitner and Steipermann for example.... our defenders are clearly improving as a consequence of game time.    In addition, we had Hanley and Klose who were expected to back up Godfrey and Zimmermann but as we know that position has proved a problem due to the injuries.      Where there is room for improvement in our young defenders, evidently there hasn't been in Hernandez, Leitner and Steipermann and consequently their game time has reduced.   

For years and years the problem with youngsters in football has been lack of opportunity.    We changed that more than anyone and are seeing exceptional results.    Look at the England squad, Chelsea, etc... all of a sudden kids get opportunity and in time they thrive.       Hindsight eh!    

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Because........ in the words of Farke, if we didn't play the young lads, they couldn't get the experience necessary to develop and  improve.... as it happens, they deserved their chance in the Premier League, they all did including the likes of Hernandez, Leitner and Steipermann for example.... our defenders are clearly improving as a consequence of game time.    In addition, we had Hanley and Klose who were expected to back up Godfrey and Zimmermann but as we know that position has proved a problem due to the injuries.      Where there is room for improvement in our young defenders, evidently there hasn't been in Hernandez, Leitner and Steipermann and consequently their game time has reduced.   

For years and years the problem with youngsters in football has been lack of opportunity.    We changed that more than anyone and are seeing exceptional results.    Look at the England squad, Chelsea, etc... all of a sudden kids get opportunity and in time they thrive.       Hindsight eh!    

Quite  right they deserved a chance but a quality acquisition could have improved them as well as the team. 

16 hours ago, ROBFLECK said:

Do you think they would have signed Drmic or Roberts or even Amadou if they would have had 50 m £ at their disposal? Fahrmann is not a bad GK imo

You said “I have faith in them getting the right guys in”, I’m just making the point they’re not infallible. If they had more money to spend, that no guarantee the players they would have bought would have been any better. We could well have bought instead of loaned at least one of the three.

12 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Commanded some massive fees didn’t they?

It may have escaped your notice, but we didn’t buy them. Presumably we thought Amadou was worth at least £9 million, as that’s what we would have paid to buy him at the end of this season. Fahrmann came with a great reputation, probably worth at least £5 million.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

You said “I have faith in them getting the right guys in”, I’m just making the point they’re not infallible. If they had more money to spend, that no guarantee the players they would have bought would have been any better. We could well have bought instead of loaned at least one of the three.

It may have escaped your notice, but we didn’t buy them. Presumably we thought Amadou was worth at least £9 million, as that’s what we would have paid to buy him at the end of this season. Fahrmann came with a great reputation, probably worth at least £5 million.

It was sarcasm! The team could only bring in loans and weren’t exactly going to get a man c and Seville first teamer with no money, were they?

Apart from the obvious difference of us having tin pot owners and them not. The biggest two differences between the teams this season are their players are far more physically capable and imposing than ours. And their manager is far better than ours. 

27 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

Apart from the obvious difference of us having tin pot owners and them not. The biggest two differences between the teams this season are their players are far more physically capable and imposing than ours. And their manager is far better than ours. 

Not sure they have the better manager but can’t argue with the rest. 

52 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not sure they have the better manager but can’t argue with the rest. 

Their is absolutely no question Wilder is the better manager right now. He is adaptable. Can change a game when needed. And has proven on multiple occasions he can inspire his players to raise their game, particularly at half time. Unfortunately Farke hasn't shown any of these qualities this season. Wilder is further along in his managerial so maybe it's only natural he is doing a better job. Hopefully Farke will get there. 

Cheers, Keith. 

39 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

Their is absolutely no question Wilder is the better manager right now. He is adaptable. Can change a game when needed. And has proven on multiple occasions he can inspire his players to raise their game, particularly at half time. Unfortunately Farke hasn't shown any of these qualities this season. Wilder is further along in his managerial so maybe it's only natural he is doing a better job. Hopefully Farke will get there. 

Cheers, Keith. 

Fair points but he has also been backed to the tune of £52M plus other undisclosed signings. That has definitely helped them push on. 

For once Keith has some valid points apart from his reflections on the owners.. But he is right in that Wilder was backed heavily by his owners. At the moment it can only be jealousy stopping people saying stupid things about Wilder. At the moment he is better than DF as he is getting better results from his team than DF is.

The arguments about the defence won't go away. Whether Tim would have been just what was needed to garner the eight or ten points that would have put us in a better position is arguable.

But football, although full of memories, is all about being in the now. And we face an uphill task and have to go with what we have got. Gary O'Neill on SKY at the weekend dismissed us, an old club of his, as already gone. So it is going to take some miracle performances from us because we will be playing teams who are all above us.

But there is less criticism of the team etc this time round then when Hughton and Neil were guiding us back to the Championship with some awful performances. Our entertaining style and downright good attacking football does give more of us a glimmer of hope.

I on;y bother about NCFC so bear no ill will to the Blades or Wilder. I would congratulate them on their efforts and say good luck next season when it will be tougher.

• Like 1