Making Plans

Despite everything

It is theoretically, of course it is but we have the highest goals conceded and the joint-second (by 1) lowest goals scored, so it's very unlikely.

Several times in recent history a team in a seemingly doomed position has gone on a very late run and stayed up against all the odds. 

It could happen. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Several times in recent history a team in a seemingly doomed position has gone on a very late run and stayed up against all the odds. 

It could happen. 

Still in it until the numbers say otherwise. Yup, it's the hope that kills ya.

Whatever the outcome the players can still hold their heads high, having played some entertaining football. Perhaps we could have stayed up by parking the bus, but what a boring season that would have been.

• Like 1

No, we're regulated already. 🤐

Seriously, how can you expect different results from the last few games unless you change what got you dangling off the bottom. 

No striker in the world can score enough goals to counter our woeful goals against column. 

No attacking midfielder can do that either, Farke keeps trying Plan A, we're still hanging off the bottom crying about how unlucky we are.

Madness 

35 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Seriously, how can you expect different results from the last few games unless you change what got you dangling off the bottom. 

No striker in the world can score enough goals to counter our woeful goals against column. 

No attacking midfielder can do that either, Farke keeps trying Plan A, we're still hanging off the bottom crying about how unlucky we are.

Madness 

Rubbish ! Get on the naughty step immediately.

• Haha 1

I don't know why folk who have given up feel they'd be on the "naughty step". Throwing in the towel is lack of bottle. Not naughty or nice🙃

• Like 4

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't know why folk who have given up feel they'd be on the "naughty step". Throwing in the towel is lack of bottle. Not naughty or nice🙃

You're funny 

11 hours ago, Number9 said:

Madness 

Sorry, but I disagree.

We don't need to win games by 3, 4, 5 goals to improve the goal diff', though it would help:)

If we do win the required games (lets say 7) by just one goal then our goal diff would reduce by at least 7 taking us to -16 and if Watford, Wetspam and Villa lose the same number of games by the same margin the their GD will be -23, -20 and -22

• Like 1

The margins in the Prem are always very tight and often a team at the bottom can put together a run and escape.  If you can win 2 or 3 games suddenly it will all look different.  We have had the sort of season when we've had very little luck and lost plenty of games we could easily have won.  But the odds have to be stacked against us.

This is the sort of season where it would be so typical for City to beat Liverpool and still get relegated :classic_cool:

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

This is the sort of season where it would be so typical for City to beat Liverpool and still get relegated :classic_cool:

Don't forget that we can still win the FA cup too!!!

41 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Don't forget that we can still win the FA cup too!!!

Definitely got a chance of turning Spurs over especially as they could be prioritising other competitions. One match from Wembley if successful would start to get very exciting.

18 hours ago, K Lo said:

It is theoretically, of course it is but we have the highest goals conceded and the joint-second (by 1) lowest goals scored, so it's very unlikely.

True, but it's not about what has happened so far it's about what happens from now on.

Thought this chart was interesting - points dropped from a winning position

canvas.png.0fbc35dfd9226b4e0fe5c6369b69cbaf.png

2 hours ago, SteveN8458 said:

Sorry, but I disagree.

We don't need to win games by 3, 4, 5 goals to improve the goal diff', though it would help:)

If we do win the required games (lets say 7) by just one goal then our goal diff would reduce by at least 7 taking us to -16 and if Watford, Wetspam and Villa lose the same number of games by the same margin the their GD will be -23, -20 and -22

1) If you average conceding two goals per game then you will have to score three goals to win a game. 

2) We haven't won games til now, what are you going to do different to suddenly change that in the last few weeks of the season? Bear in mind that Farke isn't doing anything differently. 

Just now, Number9 said:

1) If you average conceding two goals per game then you will have to score three goals to win a game. 

2) We haven't won games til now, what are you going to do different to suddenly change that in the last few weeks of the season? Bear in mind that Farke isn't doing anything differently. 

I think the player are giving everything but they are unfortunately not good enough.. plus we have had no luck

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

I think the player are giving everything but they are unfortunately not good enough.. plus we have had no luck

I don't agree with you. 

We have players in the teams of the week for Premier League and even Europe. We've outplayed several teams for long periods in games. Our players generally are good enough. 

*we have had no luck. That's what losers say.

11 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I don't agree with you. 

We have players in the teams of the week for Premier League and even Europe. We've outplayed several teams for long periods in games. Our players generally are good enough. 

*we have had no luck. That's what losers say.

Spoken like a true Winner. Jaysus ,Cliché  City.   are you a part time motivator for an under 8s team? good luck to them then.

38 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You are using the past to predict the future.

On that basis I will go and buy the last set of Euro Millions winning number for the next draw, I'm bound to win using your logic.

So far we haven’t been good enough collectively for whatever reason. But I believe the line between winning games and not is so fine in this league, the encouraging thing is that we have played pretty well in many games, makes me think that we are very close to things ‘clicking’ and winning some matches. The first thing is to get in touch with those above us and start putting pressure on them, build up a bit of momentum and get some belief breeding. Nobody will be surprised if we finish bottom but it’s possible that we could finish a few places higher. Still 39 points to be won. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely that is what bookmakers, punters, bankers, commerce uses

Not always. A Manchester City in poor form would still be the favourite at a bookmakers against most opposition, even if that opposition are in good form.

Bank of England reacted by keeping interest rates as they are in anticipation of the expected affects of Brexit. 

Supermarkets buy and sell stock on the basis of anticipated demand. What's popular at Christmas isn't popular in the middle of July, for example.

Etc etc 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

1 hour ago, SteveN8458 said:

On that basis I will go and buy the last set of Euro Millions winning number for the next draw, I'm bound to win using your logic.

I would suggest that you are trying to predict the future by ignoring the past.

If you're so confident, put a large bet on City to win all those games and stay up. The bookies will gladly take your money because they look at the games played up to this point and use that to predict the likely outcome of the few games left.

The lottery is as it's name suggests, a lottery. A completely different scenario, you're either trying to wind me up or you've not thought very deeply about it. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Spoken like a true Winner. Jaysus ,Cliché  City.   are you a part time motivator for an under 8s team? good luck to them then.

I'm not entirely sure what point you are making. 

I believe we have some very good players, who aren't being managed very well.

Unless our tactics and game management change dramatically, we will be relegated in a few weeks. 

Luck is not relevant. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely that is what bookmakers, punters, bankers, commerce uses

Yes that it what they use but of course they don't always get it right.

Somewhere, at a racecourse today a nailed on, odds on favourite will get beat.

Somewhere, at a racecourse today, a complete no hoper/rank outsider will win.

Somewhere, at a racecourse today, several horses will outrun their odds.

Happens every day.

32 minutes ago, Number9 said:

The lottery is as it's name suggests, a lottery. A completely different scenario, you're either trying to wind me up or you've not thought very deeply about it. 

I have thought deeply about it.

I am a City supporter so I do not countenance a 'so called supporter' righting off the team I support in order to get attention. Until it is mathematically impossible for City to remain in the EPL, there is ALWAYS hope.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Number9 said:

The rhythm is the bass and the bass is the treble.
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I'm not entirely sure what point you are making. 

I believe we have some very good players, who aren't being managed very well.

Unless our tactics and game management change dramatically, we will be relegated in a few weeks. 

Luck is not relevant. 

Im not making any point merely countering yours

We do have some very good players, I agree. Please enlighten us on how they 'arent being managed very well'. .........dont say we are losing , as that is not proof of mismanagement.

Tactics....were doing ok, giving most teams a game. Game management, maybe I'll give you that one but normally game management is dictated by the team with the upper hand, we dont often find ourselves in that position.....so maybe not.

Luck is always relevant, if you receive a slice of it you can win a game that you otherwise might not. Just as bad luck......injuries etc can have the reverse effect. To say its irrelevant is,tbh, ridiclous . Look at the deflection for Spurs second against us.......if that wasnt lucky then you may be correct, but you're not cos it was universally accepted by pundits as such. I will engage no further with a poster that uses words in the wrong context trying to prove an unprovable point, you carry on with it chap, im sure it makes you feel better, but about what, I have no idea.

5 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Im not making any point merely countering yours

We do have some very good players, I agree. Please enlighten us on how they 'arent being managed very well'. .........dont say we are losing , as that is not proof of mismanagement.

Tactics....were doing ok, giving most teams a game. Game management, maybe I'll give you that one but normally game management is dictated by the team with the upper hand, we dont often find ourselves in that position.....so maybe not.

Luck is always relevant, if you receive a slice of it you can win a game that you otherwise might not. Just as bad luck......injuries etc can have the reverse effect. To say its irrelevant is,tbh, ridiclous . Look at the deflection for Spurs second against us.......if that wasnt lucky then you may be correct, but you're not cos it was universally accepted by pundits as such. I will engage no further with a poster that uses words in the wrong context trying to prove an unprovable point, you carry on with it chap, im sure it makes you feel better, but about what, I have no idea.

I was quite specific when I mentioned management failings, tactics and game management, by your comments it would appear you agree that these areas could have been greatly improved and this on its own could have given us more points.

The Spurs goal you've referred to as unlucky. Before the ball was deflected, go back ten seconds, twenty seconds,  you might see that bad decisions were made by midfielders and defenders which allowed the ball to be played so close to goal.

Those defensive errors weren't lucky or unlucky, it's just poor defending. If we look at the whole game in the time before that goal several players were ineffectual and Farke even admitted later that Todd had done a hamstring. Had substitutions been made earlier then the 'unlucky' goal may not have happened. 

Many honest fans have acknowledged the failings in our game management, getting a grip on such things can prevent 'luck' going against you.

And thanks for the 'words in wrong context' line, that made me chuckle.😁