Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

40 (FORTY!) years ago

today, I saw one of the greatest games I have ever witnessed and I saw one of the best goals I have ever seen

Justin Fashanu vs Liverpool (Goal of the Season as it turned out) 

I don't like losing but it was fantastic to see my team take on one of the best teams I have ever seen, and give them a bloody good game.

Forty years? Jeez, I need to re evaluate my life, and quickly.

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Like 1

Sigh --- 40 years! 

I WAS in the Barclay that day and I WAS in line with the shot. 🙂 The thing that I will always remember is the look of astonishment on Ray Clemence's face as the ball flew past him. If you watch closely you will see Clemence arch his neck and turn his head in mid air to watch the flight of the ball into the net. 

A muddy old pitch that day. I was in the River End. Nice to also see Martin Peters and Kevin Reeves.

I was in the South Stand that day with my dad.

I was 7 then, so don't remember so much about it. I have quite a few match programmes from that year still, so every chance one from that particular game.

I was on the Barclay that day, half way back and dead in line with the shot and I was at Cromer Links Pavilion on Xmas Eve and not at West Runton Pavillion to see the the Pistols.

That goal is in my NCFC Desert Island disc goals never to forget top five.

I was in the South Stand, sat behind the line of the flight of the shot.  But still was really pissed off we lost, despite being proud of a local Lad scoring a worldly.  Note the chants of "John Bond Out" in the VT.  So much happening that day ...

I remember that day well, I was in line for the Fash goal with 75,000 other spectators then immediately afterwards we all jumped onto the coaches after the game and headed off to watch the **** Pistols at West Runton Pavilion, we were all queued behind another 100,000 who tell me that they too were also in line for the Justin Fashanu goal, wow that was some day I can tell you

• Haha 2

Great goal, wonderful player. I had the pleasure - yes it was a pleasure on reflection - of playing against him at Thetford before his Norwich days. Me at left back - had him in my pocket until  he decided to play properly - then boom.... at least I was not the one who tried to take a swing at him. Norfolk Jnr boxing champion and all just laughed at that 🙂 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2020 at 16:56, shefcanary said:

I was in the South Stand, sat behind the line of the flight of the shot.  But still was really pissed off we lost, despite being proud of a local Lad scoring a worldly.  Note the chants of "John Bond Out" in the VT.  So much happening that day ...

I think it was the Liverpool fans singing "John Bond Mouth" 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Great player tragic way for him to end his life , I was there and loved the game but was gutted we lost , remember John bond signed most of Bournemouth team when they were just a lower division team going nowhere , how times change 

11 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Great player tragic way for him to end his life , I was there and loved the game but was gutted we lost , remember John bond signed most of Bournemouth team when they were just a lower division team going nowhere , how times change 

That’s why Bournemouth fans still hate us to this day. I seem to recall a similar stage when West Ham seemed to be either buying, or attempting to buy, our players 15 odd years ago or so, and I really hated that, I think it’s why I still don’t like West Ham at all. I mean, if only we could get under the Leeds supporters skin by doing likewise... haha