Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Little things in football that you love a disproportionate amount

To offer a counterbalance to the thread of gripes... I'll start.

When the ball hits the side-netting and the away fans think it's gone in... a distant cheer, followed by a massive "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" from the home fans as they realise what's happened.

When some form of animal gets onto the pitch.

When the ref falls on his árse.

A good old-fashioned 22-man brawl, with bonus points if the commentator says "Nobody wants to see that".

FA Cup First Round Proper day, when big League One clubs go to tiny little sheds in the middle of nowhere to play on a ploughed field.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

When the ball hits the side-netting and the away fans think it's gone in... a distant cheer, followed by a massive "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" from the home fans as they realise what's happened.

I love when this happens!

Also, walking up the stairs to to view of the pitch and stadium in all its glory. Doesn't matter how many times I've done it, it still fills me with joy.

The Scummers losing ..............as they,hopefully,will do at Roker Park today 😁

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

To offer a counterbalance to the thread of gripes... I'll start.

When some form of animal gets onto the pitch.

When the ref falls on his árse.

A good old-fashioned 22-man brawl, with bonus points if the commentator says "Nobody wants to see that".

FA Cup First Round Proper day, when big League One clubs go to tiny little sheds in the middle of nowhere to play on a ploughed field.

😀👍

I do love how they pretend that people will be upset by it when we are all really hoping one of the oppo gets floored.

42 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

The Scummers losing ..............as they,hopefully,will do at Roker Park today 😁

Nil nil on 40 mins, puts 1p5wich down to 6th. Some of teams above and below have games in hand, lose today and Sunderland replace them in 6th place. Not looking good.😂

Edited by wcorkcanary

Got to be the banter between fans for me. You don’t get that watching on tv. Love an original spur of the moment chant where even the opposition can’t help but laugh.

• Like 1

Goals that go in off the woodwork- they look that much better.

People who never score grabbing a goal- generally they look so shocked/delighted. Used to love when Adam Drury made that happen.

When we used to do Christmas Pies on Boxing Day home games- those were delicious.

People that join in the pirate  'arrgghhh' after the usual "You're sh*T ahhhh" when the opposition goalie kicks it out. Always gets a smile.

A 'like' when you leave (what you think) is a smart ar5ed comment on a football forum or the BBC comments thread - it's a different kind of dopamine hit that you cant get from anywhere else...

Harassing players or management in order to get a photo with them so you can make a daft face without them knowing...

On 08/02/2020 at 15:01, C.I.D said:

Didn't think they had a hope in hell of losing at Roker Park seeing it's now a housing estate but quite pleased they managed it at the Stadium of Light 😉

Oh the indignation from Coleman. This was 1962 when we only got highlights. But we all loved it. And who couldn't forget Keelan against Northampton.

On 08/02/2020 at 13:32, Flying Dutchman said:

I love when this happens!

Also, walking up the stairs to to view of the pitch and stadium in all its glory. Doesn't matter how many times I've done it, it still fills me with joy.

This is one of my earliest memories FD . As a kid walking up the stairs of the old south stand and first seeing the pitch in a midweek game under the lights . 
Add in the smell of pipe tobacco smoke and I’m back there ! 
Brilliant stuff . 

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I'm sure whether this is a little thing or not but I love that we still play at Carrow Road and not some out of town stadium

Completely agree. Screw those soulless bowl grounds on industrial estates out of town.

Goodison is another stadium that benefits from being in the City and in its community.

Stoppage time equalisers or winners ! I still can't get over it , when I think of Vrancic's free kick last season against Sheffield Wednesday!

Away from home it tastes sweet to see the stunned faces of the home fans... something I loved about last season...

3 hours ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

People that join in the pirate  'arrgghhh' after the usual "You're sh*T ahhhh" when the opposition goalie kicks it out. Always gets a smile.

In particular, when we played Brizzle Rovers in League 1, and they'd had an attempt at the 'most people dressed as a pirate' world record. It really was an "Aaaarrrrrr" that day. The sun was out, we won, and we knew we were going up. I just hope Ipswich are enjoying League 1 as much. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Didn't think they had a hope in hell of losing at Roker Park seeing it's now a housing estate but quite pleased they managed it at the Stadium of Light 😉

Oh,I was well aware that good old Roker Park no longer existed as a stadium but I thought that I would utilise it for historical effect solely for the benefit of any Binners on here ..............and we all know how much the Bluenoses love a bit of history 🤣

I used to like the 'pools panel'. When games were not played because of the weather a panel of 'experts' used to decide the result of unplayed games for the benefit of the football pools companies. Whilst reading out the results the announcer would say something like 'Norwich City vs Ipswich Town - home win'. 

Always liked when they gave us a 'win'.

5 hours ago, ghoul said:

When the ball hit the old scoreboard above the Barclay and it would say 'ouch'. 

That old scoreboard was awesome. I miss it! I remember vinnie jones scoring an own goal and the scoreboard lighting up with two fingers that went across the board

Hearing a player swear

A fan heading the ball back when it's gone into the stand

When mr Carrow is in the Barclay

When a GK kicks ball and it goes straight through to the opp gk

Foul throws

Spontaneous funny chants for me.

The best was the start of the 2005/06 season when we were supposed to play Coventry City away. They had moved from Highfield Road and were due to start playing at the Ricoh. As it hadn’t been finished in time the fixtures were reversed and we played them at Carrow Road.

The Barclay started a chorus of “You’re supposed to be at home”. Hilarious.

The whole ground singing on the ball city always fantastic or when the scarfs were all raised and we used to sing you will never walk alone ( this was not just a Liverpool song in those days )