Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Strikers next season

In the championship I'd imagine we'd have Idah and Drmic so we might have a problem up front as its unlikely we are going to unearth another Pukki. Could we actually see big money spent for a striker or be lazy and bring in Rhodes?

8 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

In the championship I'd imagine we'd have Idah and Drmic so we might have a problem up front as its unlikely we are going to unearth another Pukki. Could we actually see big money spent for a striker or be lazy and bring in Rhodes?

No need, Teemu will stay. I have as much evidence of this as you do that he will leave.

Edited by wcorkcanary

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

No need, Teemu will stay. I have as much evidence of this as you do that he will leave.

Yeah, I'm not convinced he will leave. Not sure many PL clubs would pay a huge amount of money for a 30-year-old, and we have no reason to let him go on the cheap. As with all our players, it depends on his (and his agent's) desires; we won't need to sell anybody at all this summer, so it all depends on how the individual players feel.

Although my Dad reckons Pukki will go this summer as he thinks he will want to spend the remainder of his career with a big club I think Pukki will stay. I can’t see us selling him for any less than £30m and I can’t think who would want to buy him - ok he got off to a flying start but he hasn’t exactly been great this season has he? If we did lose him I think we will still have Drmic who although is clearly a bit more injury prone than Teemu, I do believe could turn out to be a good replacement. I reckon we will also probably sign someone else and send Idah out on a season-long loan.

There was also an opinion article by Robin Sainty last month “Why Norwich City won’t abandon policy on transfer window spending” that says in it about how if Villa go down they would have huge financial problems, City would only have to sell players on their own terms as there are key players on long term contracts with relegation clauses in them that would slash wages.

Edited by HazzaJet

I'm not convinced Pukki will leave. Although I csnt see Finland dropping him for any reason, he will want to be playing regularly and be in the best shape for the Euros so may see staying with us as his best option as hes guaranteed games.

He does seem the loyal sort but I’m sure his head might turn if another Premier league club make an offer. £15 M + might make it happen but I hope he loves the lifestyle in Norfolk and wants to stay. 

20 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah, I'm not convinced he will leave. Not sure many PL clubs would pay a huge amount of money for a 30-year-old, and we have no reason to let him go on the cheap. As with all our players, it depends on his (and his agent's) desires; we won't need to sell anybody at all this summer, so it all depends on how the individual players feel.

...cant see him staying for another championship season....doesnt have to be a premier league team that would come in for him....he's been a journeyman for most of his career, so could easily see him move to germany,spain,italy...or even further a field

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...cant see him staying for another championship season....doesnt have to be a premier league team that would come in for him....he's been a journeyman for most of his career, so could easily see him move to germany,spain,italy...or even further a field

Yes but it may not be his choice. His value to us and the cost to replace him likely far outweighs the amount most teams would pay for a 30 year old.

According to half the posters on here, Pukki is struggling in this division and costing us points. Not sure why a better prem side would want such a player.

Why they might want someone with his stats and scoring record (ie; reality) though is a different question. I was more worried about him leaving in January to be honest as a stop gap at a larger club (such as Man Utd - I think he’d have been better for them than they chap they’ve got in on loan). But in the summer, it’s probably only someone like Palace or Newcastle (if stay up) that would come in for him. Would he bother? I don’t know. I hope he’s one of the many players, a la Huckerby, who buy in to the club and the area and would rather have another season here in the championship than jump ship for another relegation battle in the prem in a different city.

7 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

The cashflows from Pukki’s disposal will help to grow further our broadcasting income cash pile.

Why do you bother? You are a prime candidate for being the first person to be thrown out of an over crowded lifeboat.

24 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

The cashflows from Pukki’s disposal will help to grow further our broadcasting income cash pile.

Highland, I can't make any sense of that, could you reword it?

24 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Highland, I can't make any sense of that, could you reword it?

He's signed a contract that means he has to include the words 'cash pile' in every post he makes from now on. Check his post history, it's funny/tragic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Maybe he just really likes it at Norwich? He's had two years being the number-one sole striker, has scored a ton of goals in a side playing progressive football, and has also become a cult hero back home in the meantime. Maybe it's not worth the gamble of trying to find somewhere else where he's loved to the same degree, and he'd rather have another season scoring loads of goals here?

Holty and Hucks were both journeymen, but they found a home at Norwich and stayed longer than we might have expected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Maybe he just really likes it at Norwich? He's had two years being the number-one sole striker, has scored a ton of goals in a side playing progressive football, and has also become a cult hero back home in the meantime. Maybe it's not worth the gamble of trying to find somewhere else where he's loved to the same degree, and he'd rather have another season scoring loads of goals here?

Holty and Hucks were both journeymen, but they found a home at Norwich and stayed longer than we might have expected.

I hope your correct. People always use Norwich as a negative location for attracting new players. The irony is the vast numbers who stay or relocate after retirement.

30 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I hope your correct. People always use Norwich as a negative location for attracting new players. The irony is the vast numbers who stay or relocate after retirement.

...lets be honest though...not been too many overseas players in that category, can only think of Anselin?

The most annoying thing about some of this thread is not the discussing of selling Pukki but the fact a number of people are convinced we won't be in this league next season.

We ain't done yet y'all! 

As has been said... All of our best players are on lengthy contracts and it will cost a fair bit for another team to prise them away from us. 

Also... what's all this about Pukki not being very good this season? He is crucial to the way we play. 11 goals, a few assists. Not bad really at this stage in the season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...lets be honest though...not been too many overseas players in that category, can only think of Anselin?

I'm not saying he's necessarily going to stay here until/after he retires, just that he might be very happy to stay here rather than chase a big contract with no guarantee of the same good vibe and/or being a guaranteed starter.

I doubt it's as big a deal adjusting to life abroad as it is for many foreigners... many Scandinavians are completely fluent in English before they leave school.

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

The most annoying thing about some of this thread is not the discussing of selling Pukki but the fact a number of people are convinced we won't be in this league next season.

We ain't done yet y'all! 

As has been said... All of our best players are on lengthy contracts and it will cost a fair bit for another team to prise them away from us. 

Also... what's all this about Pukki not being very good this season? He is crucial to the way we play. 11 goals, a few assists. Not bad really at this stage in the season. 

....just people being realistic I'm afraid

...realistic further still that this club has always struggled to hold on to its better players as a tier 2 club in the football league , when a higher placed club has come knocking and a player expresses his desire to leave.

...anyone from all over europe ,especially those who can offer european football could come in for him, if he has a good euro 2020 , moreso

...would he want another 46 game championship campaign, we just cant know until if/when someone comes in for him and whether he's tempted or not.

Mitrovic is by far the best striker in the Championship and could do a job for a good third of the premier league ...but for some reason clubs have steered clear, we can just hope for the same.

Whilst I hope he stays, I can see him going; one final large pay packet and a season in europa leagues,  here in uk or across europe could appeal to him, if an offer comes in from a team that plays to his strengths; If he stays he would be  32 come the end of the hoped for repromotion season.  we could cash in and seek a younger version using the £15m+ l rather than have a player thinking what if.

I cant see both drmic & pukki being here next season.  As for Idah he clearly has talent but needs pitch time and to gain some strength at the mo so a loan still seems the best option (as per murphys, maddison, godfrey, cantwell) so I am sure we have our fingers on the pulse for a possible replacement.