Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Central heating

Do people leave it on all day or set it on timers ? I’ve read various reports on the matter regarding energy efficiency and reducing bills. Hopefully springtime will rear it’s head soon enough but there’s obviously a fair few more cold days to come.

5 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Have mine set to kick in when the temperature drops to a certain level. 

I’ve tried that but burnt my backside when it’s suddenly kicks in around 2am when I’m fast off. 

Keep it on low and put an extra jumper on if you feel cold...unless you are one of those who doesn't care about global warming and has to run around the house in shorts and a T shirt with the heating on full blast.

22 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

leave it on all day

hot water cheap as chips where I live (Reykjavík)

You're a very lucky geyser!!!

• Haha 3

We have ours preset to come on for an hour in the morning and three hours in the evening, but we have a Nest that's linked to our phones, so if we're both out the house it will automatically turn itself off.

Throw some wood on the woodburner, turn the heating off.

Marvellous, free heat

Edited by Number9

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Do people leave it on all day or set it on timers ? I’ve read various reports on the matter regarding energy efficiency and reducing bills. Hopefully springtime will rear it’s head soon enough but there’s obviously a fair few more cold days to come.

It goes off as soon as the Mrs has gone out 😂

Set a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Terry Pratchett...I think. 

There you go midlands yellow! If nothing else, you’ve learnt that you can always rely on the pinkun message board for some informative, helpful answers to life’s little conundrums! Haha!

The boiler in our house is pretty efficient, she'll Hoover, do the washing up and put a load through the washing machine and hang it out, all before  breakfast. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

The boiler in our house is pretty efficient, she'll Hoover, do the washing up and put a load through the washing machine and hang it out, all before  breakfast. 

At least, until she sees what you post about her...

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

At least, until she sees what you post about her...

Ha ha Nuffo, shes not a wrong un and would probably just laugh and say that she'd expect little else , after all she's put up with me for over 30 years ,so far. So to be fair shes more saint than boiler, but I never let her feelings get in the way of a joke at her expense, it keeps us on our toes.