Midlands Yellow

Philip Schofield

Couldn't give a **** as long as he hasn't ruined the lives of this family. Strikes me as a kinda weird that after 27 years of marriage and 2 kids that he's decided he fancies men.

Never liked him anyway and always spoils a picture of Holly Willoughby.

A few years back a personality like schofield coming out as gay would have been totally scandalous 

doesn’t really seem that big of a deal now

When Phil’s PR representatives review the first days publicity after their carefully considered release of the news , imagine their reaction to have made the Main Discussion on the Pinkun Message Board. 

It’s a proud day . 

I am getting effing fed up with these people who want to publicise their sexuality or sexual behaviour.

I've had a few naughty moments in my life with lady friends but it's a private matter.

Edited by BroadstairsR

15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I am getting effing fed up with these people who want to publicise their sexuality or sexual behaviour.

I've had a few naughty moments in my life with lady friends but it's a private matter.

Aye, it's all a bit tawdry, but  this sounds like a pre-emptive strike before a tabloid splash. Unnecessary really nowadays.

I do admire him and his courage for coming out . It must be incredibly difficult for his wife and daughters though . And yes , why now ? And apparently he’s not ready for a gay relationship ? But presumably he’s had a few ? I am out of my depth here I admit . It’s not like the love I have for Emi Buendia and Darren Huckerby then ? 
Can’t help thinking people in the entertainment industry live in gilded cages in such situations, so much gushing support and tears from twitter etc . I’ll save my real admiration for a friend of mine’s teenage son and his family , old school Norfolk farming community , who came out as a transsexual last year . That was proper brave. A few ribald jokes ( well more than a few)  , but it’s been completely accepted and life goes on . Well done Norfolk . 

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 2

Guess a big payday coming up from OK mag or similar.  All that rubbish stating wife is full of support for him seems a publicity stunt. Cannot imagine most men’s wives being so understanding especially after 27 years

Not particularly interested. But surely bi rather than gay but if solely gay can't see marriage working out in long term.  Why come out now was it due to fear of being outed by a gay lover?  What's the future a single gay lifestyle or a committed relationship with wifey or other.  Coming out as gay normally happens when celebs on the skids.  What next Holly a man!   

14 minutes ago, pete said:

Not particularly interested. But surely bi rather than gay but if solely gay can't see marriage working out in long term.  Why come out now was it due to fear of being outed by a gay lover?  What's the future a single gay lifestyle or a committed relationship with wifey or other.  Coming out as gay normally happens when celebs on the skids.  What next Holly a man!   

I think we’ve all got to wait and be patient for further news.

OK. Taking the whole story at face value.

Forget he's a celebrity

Forget he is a bit irritating

Forget he is wealthy

Forget he has the public platform which few have

Surely he deserves a bit more empathy having clearly lived a lie with his partner of 27 years, now having to have an agonising conversation with his wife daughters and family, and apparently having gone 50 years without a sexually fully gratifying relationship.  

It's no different to what can happen anywhere, in any walk of life, but let's not criticise him because he is famous!!! 

• Like 1

Don’t see the need for anybody to “come out”. Who cares? Straight people don’t need to pronounce they’re straight. 

14 minutes ago, Pugin said:

OK. Taking the whole story at face value.

Forget he's a celebrity

Forget he is a bit irritating

Forget he is wealthy

Forget he has the public platform which few have

Surely he deserves a bit more empathy having clearly lived a lie with his partner of 27 years, now having to have an agonising conversation with his wife daughters and family, and apparently having gone 50 years without a sexually fully gratifying relationship.  

It's no different to what can happen anywhere, in any walk of life, but let's not criticise him because he is famous!!! 

Good  points Pugino. Now I couldn't give a flying **** about his sexuality, its just not Important to me at all. People ask ,why now? Well I reckon the answer lies in the bad press he's been getting lately. Aparently has been a bit of a **** the last few months, have seen things in tabloids about his behaviour upsetting other 'daytime tv stars'. Maybe he was feeling some pressure and it was manifesting itself as obnoxious behaviour. Still couldnt care less but do feel a bit for his wife who has invested a fair bit of herself in the last 27 years and now mus have a few questions that need answering, maybe he's addressed that, I hope so.

1 hour ago, pete said:

surely bi rather than gay

Yeah, that crossed my mind to, but there is a social pressure to be one or the other and the "bi" label is not something the gay community seems to like.  It's part of the world we live in where you have to be seen on one side or the other and grey areas or middle ground is deemed as unacceptable by the activists and lobbyists - and the politcally correct who like things clear cut.  

26 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Don’t see the need for anybody to “come out”. Who cares? Straight people don’t need to pronounce they’re straight. 

Being straight was never illegal. Being straight has never lead to verbal or physical abuse. The PM wouldn't call straight people "bumboys". And The S*n would never cover their front pages in someone coming out as being straight.

There are good reasons why people are still scared of coming out, even in this day and age sadly.

• Like 2

Even now I think it is still a big deal when a celebrity comes out. I think a lot of people forget or don’t know that homosexuality was only de-criminalised in England and Wales in 1967-and even later in Scotland and Ireland. And obviously still illegal-and with a wide variety of punishments-in many countries around the world, some of which a celebrity may have to visit for work. 

Possibly relevant for him may be that his family went to live in NZ when he was 19, and homosexuality was still illegal then. He may have been having feelings that he felt he couldn’t act on at that time, and has repressed them ever since.

Who knows? The human mind is not a simple thing to try and understand.

• Like 1

Had a job getting to sleep last night could not get over the scene where Holly Willoughby put her head on his shoulder and snuggled up to him. Reminded me of a Labrador on heat

Edited by daly

Its no big deal or anyones business being Gay nowadays so why did he bother telling the world? And I'm sorry, the word Brave is so overused. He wasn't brave. Honest at last yes but not brave.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A broad range of views on this thread but above all respectful which isn’t a bad thing.

Shows what a mature and well adjusted group of posters we are.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its no big deal or anyones business being Gay nowadays so why did he bother telling the world? And I'm sorry, the word Brave is so overused. He wasn't brave. Honest at last yes but not brave.

Because he’s in the public eye, and if he didn’t announce it and someone else did he’d get loads of abuse for trying to hide it. That’s how society works these days unfortunately.

• Like 1

Because he’s in the public eye, and if he didn’t announce it and someone else did he’d get loads of abuse for trying to hide it. That’s how society works these days unfortunately.

I thought society was supposed to be better nowadays. So you would get abuse years ago for being Gay and now you get abuse for denying it?