Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Silly question....

Yes it is silly, not your question, but the situation.  With FA cup fifth round having to be midweek and therefore penalising successful clubs with extra close together games, with fixture headaches later on in the season because of cup and european games - and the haphazard way clubs have rearranged fixtures this next two weeks - it is barmy. 

Edited by lake district canary

Seems TV coverage can't possibly stop for a week...

No idea why it's a 4-6 game split though, seems non sensical 

But I have assumed it's to do with not being rusty when the European leagues start again?  Those involved have a week off, then a game and start travelling.  The one exception being Citeh v the hammers, which could have swapped with soton Burnley TBF.

Its to give the impression of a two week Saturday break whereas its only one. With half of PL playing on 8/9TH Feb and rest on 15/16th can only have 4 one week and 6 next or vice versa.  Whoever thought it up forgot about FA Cup like most of biggest PL clubs. 

5 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Re the winter break, why are eight clubs playing this week and twelve the next ?

I think Sky sports have the answer to that one!

My understanding is that the winter break gives every team at least a 13 day break, rather than all teams having a break at the same time (During their break the team is not allowed to play any matches but can organise training camps). By way of an example, Everton are one of the teams playing on the 8th February, their next game is then on 23rd February, 

Well it begs two questions, why put this fixture there on the calendar? It's been there all season why wait until it happens?

I'm guessing the answer could be if Liverpool had been 20 odd points behind they would have viewed it differently?

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm guessing the answer could be if Liverpool had been 20 odd points behind they would have viewed it differently?

Probably, but isn't that OK? It's their choice. It's the way in all walks of life, you give priority to the thing which will likely give you the best return.

57 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Probably, but isn't that OK? It's their choice. It's the way in all walks of life, you give priority to the thing which will likely give you the best return.

Of course it's ok. Just pointing out that they kept their options open. If the international break is really about playing no games then why schedule it when there's fixtures?