Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

Wouldn't it be nice to have a plan b

I just think this would be cool if someone like big iwan could come from the bench to hold it up and score headers and give us a different dimension ,would not like to see us playing like that from the start but would be a different alternative if we were chasing games which we usually are.😄

Been thinking about this quite hard for a few days now.  People probably said the same about Klopp's Liverpool a couple of season's ago, but he persisted and now look where they are.  Farke and his team will probably run out of time before getting the consistency required to stay in the EPL, the big question is will the team be broken up on relegation, so the cycle has to start again.  

I can't see Farke ever using a Plsn B, however much I and others may crave it!  If it clicks from next week, well we might escape, but probably better to prepare for another yo, as we continue to be along with the Baggies, a yoyo club.

• Haha 1

All the top managers have a Plan B, and some get called tinkermen, but it is necessary. Some might like Mourinho but he will 'tinker' with his team/formation as and when need and often successfully too, sometimes making subs after 20 mins. I know DF is learning and I hope he learns this facet of team management too. That said, I accept you may need the array of talent to have such a luxury.

Problem is someone like big Iwan wouldn't sign to play a bit part from the bench. 

We're unfortunate to have lost Tim Klose because he was our best centre back used like that towards the end of games. 

• Like 2

Nutty, putting a CB up front surely means we pump it it up there, I can't see DF doing that. I may be wrong of course?

24 minutes ago, Ray said:

Nutty, putting a CB up front surely means we pump it it up there, I can't see DF doing that. I may be wrong of course?

Not necessarily, Ray - set pieces, corners, Timm’s invaluable in these situations and the best we have in this respect as far as I’m concerned. What a shame he got injured, I’m certain we’d be sitting a few more invaluable points better had this not have happened.

• Like 1

Plan A is sufficient. It works.....but it relies on the players instigating it to its optimum, ie putting the myriad of chances we get into the net just a bit more. It's not a change or an alternative that is needed, it is just getting what we do now to work better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I'm sure I've seen Farke do this at the end of games. But pumping it up there as a plan ain't going to happen on his watch. I'm happy with that tbh. Although, as I've so often said on here, it's obvious most people want winning football. Style of play is of secondary importance.

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Plan A is sufficient. It works.....but it relies on the players instigating it to its optimum, ie putting the myriad of chances we get into the net just a bit more. It's not a change or an alternative that is needed, it is just getting what we do now to work better. 

Plan a works really well doesn't it lakey ,have you not looked at the league table.😭

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Been thinking about this quite hard for a few days now.  People probably said the same about Klopp's Liverpool a couple of season's ago, but he persisted and now look where they are.  Farke and his team will probably run out of time before getting the consistency required to stay in the EPL, the big question is will the team be broken up on relegation, so the cycle has to start again.  

I can't see Farke ever using a Plsn B, however much I and others may crave it!  If it clicks from next week, well we might escape, but probably better to prepare for another yo, as we continue to be along with the Baggies, a yoyo club.

Don't know the stats but us and west brom must have had the most promotions and relegations in the last 30 years.😄

6 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Plan a works really well doesn't it lakey ,have you not looked at the league table.😭

When it works well it is good enough so it's not a question of changing it - it is a question of carrying it out better.

Lakey.. you are a deluded man. If you went to the games then you would realise we may need a Plan B. Sorry. (Spoiler alert... we are bottom of the league)

Edited by yellow_belly

20 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Lakey.. you are a deluded man. If you went to the games then you would realise we may need a Plan B. Sorry. (Spoiler alert... we are bottom of the league)

I do go to some games, I've been to six this season so far.

i get what Lakey is saying.....Plan A is working we are just not taking our chances ! 

How would your Plan B help players finish or create as many chances has we have been ? 

Plan A is working?

Reminds me of the guy with the infallible betting plan.

"System working well, send more money"

Seriously though, you should all know by know that changing anything doesn't fit the model.

People always seem to think plan B= lumping it up to a big man.

Last season plan B was often switching to back 3 and having two upfront. This allowed Lewis and Aarons to push on more and gave Pukki more close support, while allowing our wider players to put crosses in when they needed to and also letting Krul occasionally go direct if needed. It didn't mean we suddenly started going long all the time.

Injuries and Farke's lack of faith in Amadou have meant switching formation like this hasn't been possible most of the season. However I do think the lack of use of Roberts/late introductions of Onel has stopped us from another obvious plan B- bringing on pace when under the cosh and looking to exploit the space in behind teams as they push up on us.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Last season plan B was often switching to back 3 and having two upfront. This allowed Lewis and Aarons to push on more and gave Pukki more close support, while allowing our wider players to put crosses in when they needed to and also letting Krul occasionally go direct if needed. It didn't mean we suddenly started going long all the time.

Injuries and Farke's lack of faith in Amadou have meant switching formation like this hasn't been possible most of the season. However I do think the lack of use of Roberts/late introductions of Onel has stopped us from another obvious plan B- bringing on pace when under the cosh and looking to exploit the space in behind teams as they push up on us.

It would be nice if we had a pacey option from the bench but sadly onel has not really stepped up .😭

We have conceded more goals than any other team in the top five European leagues. 

We are about to get relegated. 

Farke's response is to bring in more midfielders.

Plan A isn't working and all the talent we have is being wasted on excuses after each game, soon to be sold off at the end of the season. 

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Roberts isn't/wasn't quick. 

We brought Hernandez on for Cantwell at home to Palace when we were leading 1-0. Palace then went on to equalise.

When I made this point before you claimed that the two probably weren't linked. Yet, somehow you and others seem to think that there WOULD be a link making us perform better by bringing him on. Bizarre. 

59 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Roberts isn't/wasn't quick. 

We brought Hernandez on for Cantwell at home to Palace when we were leading 1-0. Palace then went on to equalise.

When I made this point before you claimed that the two probably weren't linked. Yet, somehow you and others seem to think that there WOULD be a link making us perform better by bringing him on. Bizarre. 

Sure, I guess you see that as bizarre. If you're an idiot.

There is nothing contradictory about thinking bringing Hernandez on as part of a general change in playing style could have affected games, and not thinking that bringing him on played a significant role in one particular goal.

Anybody with a basic understanding of statistics and data would have learned the simple rule- correlation does not equal causation. Hernandez coming on and Palace scoring does not mean Hernandez coming on caused Palace to score. In fact even a swift viewing of that goal shows it coming from the opposite flank before being converted by a central striker.

Edited by king canary