Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Little things in football that annoy you more than they should...

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Jurgen Klopp's willie. That is a little thing attached to something that annoys me. Bring back Ferguson.

Does he gave a big Willie then?

Many things really, but recently I've taken to watching more games and the thing I just can't stand, whatever the weather, is the play acting.

The pain-stricken faces, the rolling, the slapping of the turf in absolute agony. Next moment everything is fine again when it's been acknowledged what a brave boy they are- Saint-maximin against us particularly annoyed me recently.

12 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Many things really, but recently I've taken to watching more games and the thing I just can't stand, whatever the weather, is the play acting.

The pain-stricken faces, the rolling, the slapping of the turf in absolute agony. Next moment everything is fine again when it's been acknowledged what a brave boy they are- Saint-maximin against us particularly annoyed me recently.

I’m with you there, he was a class A pr1ck.

Ah, another one!

Players/managers kicking off when the other team doesn't put the ball out of play for an injury. The rules have been clear on this for ages, play is only stopped by the referee for a head wound yet you still get players squaring up to each other for not putting it out.

Fouls that are different depending on what part of the pitch they are committed.

If a cynical little push is a foul on the halfway line or when a team is time wasting, why is it not in the area? Surely a foul is just a foul.

Such a little thing, a foul being a foul, but sometimes with big ramifications.

Linesmen running to the goal before kick off and after half time, tugging the net because presumably, they don't believe its there from just seeing it, they have to feel it too?

Oh there's a fan who sits two rows in front of me and looks like a beaver. That's not annoying in itself apart from when it's raining and I expect him to build a dam to keep us all safe from floods.

What does irritate me is he's had the same seat for 3 or 4 years yet every other home game or so he'll come down our row and realise he's in the wrong place....again. He even has a mate who gets to the match before him who he could use as a marker if he couldn't remember he was row A. Did I point that out? He's THE FIRST ROW AND HE GETS IT WRONG EVERY OTHER HOME GAME.

Apologies, rant over.

• Haha 1

Players holding onto the ball to hold up the taking of a free kick or throw in and then throwing the ball about 10 foot in the air to the player taking the kick/throw. 

This has become all too common since bookings for kicking the ball away was introduced, yet this amounts to the same thing and is a lot more annoying

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Linesmen running to the goal before kick off and after half time, tugging the net because presumably, they don't believe its there from just seeing it, they have to feel it too?

They have to check the nets are attached properly and don't have any rips in them.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Players putting their hands over their mouths when they talk to each other

I believe this started when Bradley Johnson pointed out to Joey Barton that he had bad breath 🤣

2 hours ago, king canary said:

They have to check the nets are attached properly and don't have any rips in them.

Yeah but one tug on one corner doesn't really confirm that either way for me...

17 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

And that headband he wears is utterly ridiculous

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I believe this started when Bradley Johnson pointed out to Joey Barton that he had bad breath 🤣

Haha! Maybe. But managers do it all the time too, when speaking to their coaches etc. It's mainly so nobody can lip read what they say.

Re players leaving the pitch when they're 'injured'.  Wasn't the origin of this to stop players feigning injury and that the player shoul leave the pitch to get treatment?  Of course physios soon cottoned on to this & would then say to the ref "I can't move him as he's injured, so I have to treat him here".  So, when they finally do leave the pitch, they're desperate to get back on.  Again, I thought the rule was that the ref shouldn't allow them to return to the pitch until the next passage of play finished.

Time wasting, feigning injury and deceiving the ref in all its guises really really annoys me.

Without reading the thread (forgive me, it's long) I'd say dissent towards officials and feigning injury after every single innocuous foul only to sprint away as soon as play is about to restart. These are the two worst things that really irritate me during a match and they really make modern footballers difficult to like.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

On 06/02/2020 at 02:45, Mason 47 said:

it's just as annoying when one of our players does it, though. For the next few moments I am always anxiously waiting to know how serious it is and worried that one of our most influential performers may be out for the season. Then follows the more positive emotion of relief when you realise it was all exaggerated. The emotions are reversed when it's an opposition player.

I'll add a couple of annoyances that I don't think have been mentioned yet - headphones and haircuts. 

Actually, the headphones thing, I sort of understand. As players come off the bus and make their way to the changing rooms, it must be the perfect way to avoid distractions, selfie and autograph requests, small talk and helps maintain focus and control pre-match nerves. I just wish they would all use something inconspicuous, like the in-ear totally wireless types. Maybe ban players from wearing them after matches, unless they've had a stinker and need to avoid hearing the abuse. 

Haircuts: Robbie Keane seemed to play for 20 years with the same short, back and sides haircut. He must have been in the barbers  thousands of times to have a millimetre off.

Our players  seem to take a lot of pride in the hair. Seems to match our style of play. I mean if you had never seen Mario Vrancic play, you would know he was a cultured footballer just by looking at his hairstyle, certainly  no Micky Milligan, terrier-like style, snapping in with challenges.

I remembered seeing a pic of one of our u23 signings from last year with a really scruffy barnet, and thinking he doesn't quite fit the look. I could imagine DF taking him aside on the first day, and having a word,  something like "Son, no need to put your training boots on today. We have arranged for Mario to take you down to John Oliver's to get the hair sorted and then on to the John Lewis men's grooming department to get you kitted out with the necessary moisturisers and mens fragrances."

First thread I have ever read where I have found myself agreeing with almost all of "rock the boat's" posts.😁

52 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

The term 'Gamesmanship'.......In reality it's 'Downright Cheating'.......

I completely agree, but then ... Grant Holt ... ? I used to love him when he did it. 

'Good' yellow cards. 

Every team is guilty of it, cynical tackles during dangerous attacks are bloody boring (in my opinion). If you're not going to make a genuine attempt to play the ball, I wish there was a more severe punishment than a 'good' yellow. 

Man City have really taken it to another level this season. It is dull to watch.