Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Little things in football that annoy you more than they should...

What little things in football grind your gears even though they are pretty meaningless overall?

This topic popped into my head when I was watching the highly enjoyable highlights of Ipswich getting spanked by Peterboro.

When they scored their first goal the scorer held his team mates who were running over to celebrate just so he could pull out some contrived dance move that he'd obviously spent ages planning. I don't know why but this sort of **** just sucks the spontaneity and enjoyment out of goal celebrations while also making the striker look like a bit of a douche who'd rather do this than celebrate with his team mates.

Is this just me?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

When Norwich score I couldn’t care less how they celebrate. The players could start Morris dancing with all the gear on and I’d still just be relieved about goal.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What is it with kissing the wrist? If I knew I might not find it puzzling rather than totally irritating.

I think wrist tattoos of loved ones names are quite popular amongst footballers so I believe it has something to do with that.

• Like 1

Some Catholic players have a tendency to do the sign of the cross or similar. The annoying thing is now I've seen kids do it with no idea of its symbolism. 

The Carrow Road scoreboard clock stopping on 90 minutes . Why can’t it carry on ? People watching on tv get the benefit of one . Forever looking at my stupid watch which never seems to change if we’re winning but whizzes round uncontrollably if we’re losing . 
Oh yeah , and Glenn Hoddle saying a pass is “ a cute little ball “ .

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with the op, most choreographed celebrations are just naff and really what are professionals doing thinking about when they are messing about after a goal rather than focussing on the match and what will happen next?  I'd like to see stats to see how many goals are scored by the opposition soon after one of these choreographed events compared to those goals that just have a non-choreographed celebration. If a player or group of players are thinking about celebrations, for that instant or few seconds they have lost focus on the match - and at the top level losing that focus can cost you.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Agree with the op, most choreographed celebrations are just naff and really what are professionals doing thinking about when they are messing about after a goal rather than focussing on the match and what will happen next?  I'd like to see stats to see how many goals are scored by the opposition soon after one of these choreographed events compared to those goals that just have a non-choreographed celebration. If a player or group of players are thinking about celebrations, for that instant or few seconds they have lost focus on the match - and at the top level losing that focus can cost you.

Toddwell’s naff celebration 😀👍🏻

1 minute ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Toddwell’s naff celebration 😀👍🏻

Ok, so how many times did we lose goals soon after scoring last season and this......quite a few.....I wonder if getting carried away with scoring and losing focus has something to do with it....quite a bit imo, particularly with so many young players in a side.

Defenders (or any player) basically wrestling an attacking player away from the ball to let it roll out of play for a goal kick. More often than not would be given as a free kick anywhere else on the pitch, why are the rules different when attempting to shepherd the ball out of play?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Goalkeepers that do that catch-the-ball-then-fall-to-the-ground-hugging-the-ball thing to waste time. Just get on with it! 

(unless it’s Krul doing it, then it looks majestic)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

The Carrow Road scoreboard clock stopping on 90 minutes . Why can’t it carry on ? People watching on tv get the benefit of one . Forever looking at my stupid watch which never seems to change if we’re winning but whizzes round uncontrollably if we’re losing . 
Oh yeah , and Glenn Hoddle saying a pass is “ a cute little ball “ .

Yes that's annoying. I think all clubs stop the clock on 90 mins so it must be in the rules somewhere.

Bizarrely back in the day you could get more of an idea when that old clock above the players tunnel was working. Must have been there for ever as it's got Roman numerals 😀

The big screen at CR, when showing the ‘live’ game, being about 5 seconds behind the actual game in front of us. Either have it actually live or turn the damn thing off!

(as you can see, quite a few things annoy me)

The players play acting and exaggerating every little touch from another player 

• Like 1

Anybody other than a tricky little winger wearing anything other than black boots....not in my day...

• Like 1

Little pr1cks in the crowd giving ****** signs to the opposition fans, or generally acting like the hard men we all know they're not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

People at the game with their heads buried into their smart phones......

Am I permitted to extend this particular gripe to society in general?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Am I permitted to extend this particular gripe to society in general?

Totally agree, was at the theatre this year and some **** in front me was using the phone to record the performance on stage! I politely asked them to put it away.

Youtube match highlight videos not having the game-time visible. That makes it unnecessarily cumbersome to find the precise moment I wish to investigate if I'm trying to understand the context of a particular statistic. Like when I wanted to see why Rupp had 0.74 XG against Newcastle and I didn't recall any big chance he had. He DID have @ 21' (everybody forgot that one) and I wasted like 5 minutes trying to locate it. (Why wasn't it ruled offside by the way?)RuppvsOffside.thumb.jpg.4b70dbd3c2b357b3fc19710ee22cca90.jpg

When it’s our player, because they are always genuinely injured, the rule that you have to go off the pitch and wait to be given permission to come back.

When there has been a foul committed against your player, even if it’s not a foul, why should you be penalised?

16 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

When it’s our player, because they are always genuinely injured, the rule that you have to go off the pitch and wait to be given permission to come back.

When there has been a foul committed against your player, even if it’s not a foul, why should you be penalised?

I think if the tackler gets a yellow, the injured player is now allowed to stay on. I guess it’s a balance between not penalising an injured player and time wasting. If it’s not a yellow then you’re probably not going to be too badly injured.