Sign in to follow this  
ged in the onion bag

Is DF making substitutions too late?

Interesting debate this one from Archant.    Perhaps the one area that DF can be criticised and when doing so has to be tempered with the fact that his work is so positive, exceptional in most other aspects (topics)!

Like the players, this season sees him having to learn on the job, mistakes are inevitable.   He has proven to be shrewd at times, a quick developer but could be perceived as a tad stubborn.   Maybe both apply, but watching his development is intriguing as much as the teams.  

So overall, he is presiding over a really positive time for our club.

As for our current predicament however, we’ve nothing to lose and except in the games against the top 4, draws are unacceptable currency.   That’s been the case as long ago as the Villa Park game.   So why not go for it and why not experiment too.

We outplayed Villa, made them look very poor but went behind with 30 mins left following yet another incorrect decision against us.    That should have been the catalyst for 3 at the back and changes…. Byram and two centre-backs could cover as Villa retreated and having width e.g Lewis and Aarons further forward would stretch opponents.    But we didn’t change, if anything we lost our way.   It’s bizarre watching Villa get outplayed week in week out and win, then us outplaying teams but can’t buy one!   

Its been a constant issue that we’ve lost leads, often the cry being tiredness has done us.    That’s for the coach to affect.

At Newcastle, commentators suggested that 0-0 looked inevitable in the end.   So change was required.    Drmic for Zimmermann, why not.   Lewis down the left, give us something different.

Getting our full backs further forward may provide more penetration and if Godfrey could offer that central midfield insurance (and with his pace, power and ability he could) it makes sense to try this too.   Especially if he is otherwise going to sit on a bench against Liverpool next week.   It’s worth trying as neither Tettey nor Trybull have proved good enough even if its ‘for one match only’.     It may provide the catalyst we need to go and get some points until the end of the season.    Are we right to avoid the experiment, is it worth a go or could it be stubbornness that holds us back….. I say, come on, let’s give it a go!  

We’re nowhere near the worst team in this division…. It’s probably fair to suggest we could easily be mid-table and going in the right direction but sadly, our naivety has cost us.   Late subs are part of that problem… if we aren’t ahead with 30 mins left, then we need to react to give us a chance of the win.   

OTBC

Farke makes substitutions too late you say? Interesting idea, I’m surprised no-one else has raised it. 😉

It is tricky. I think Farke values flow of play and avoids disrupting Norwich's own game without an obvious reason. Particularily if the opponent also is looking extended. Case in point, see the timing chart of expected goals against Newcastle. There is no obvious point where the trend of chance creation is stalling for Norwich. I watched the game and I really didn't get the impression that the team was on its last legs. (Well, besides Pukki, but basically if he can limp to the penalty area he has to stay in.)

In fact, what happened is that when Farke substituted Onel Hernandez - presumably to get that final punch in - he pancaked a very promising offensive. I recall that happening atleast once before this season. Onel, bless him, isn't really a playmaker. He's a bullet train, a brawler. What would he do with the extra minutes required to "get in the game" vs someone a bit better at letting go of the ball with productive direction and timing?

Any ideas about resting Pukki or getting him "competition" are fantasies. You need about £80-100M and a couple months of acclimatization for the superstar striker. In Champs it was No Pukki no party. In PL it's No Pukki not even a chance at a party.

NewcastleNorwichXGtimingchart.jpg

• Like 1

I would agree that proactive substitutions are not his favourite choice. However, I do think most managers react rather than the former. But DF has raised many an eyebrow, not only with substitutions but selections as well. For instance, I didn't see Saturday's game but wondered why Vrancic was not only dropped but brought on in the 89th minute. The substitution just sounds like time wasting.

Glad to see Archant trawling the Pinkun forum to see what supporters have been saying for many weeks now.

The answer is Yes.

6 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Interesting debate this one from Archant.    Perhaps the one area that DF can be criticised and when doing so has to be tempered with the fact that his work is so positive, exceptional in most other aspects (topics)!

Like the players, this season sees him having to learn on the job, mistakes are inevitable.   He has proven to be shrewd at times, a quick developer but could be perceived as a tad stubborn.   Maybe both apply, but watching his development is intriguing as much as the teams.  

So overall, he is presiding over a really positive time for our club.

As for our current predicament however, we’ve nothing to lose and except in the games against the top 4, draws are unacceptable currency.   That’s been the case as long ago as the Villa Park game.   So why not go for it and why not experiment too.

We outplayed Villa, made them look very poor but went behind with 30 mins left following yet another incorrect decision against us.    That should have been the catalyst for 3 at the back and changes…. Byram and two centre-backs could cover as Villa retreated and having width e.g Lewis and Aarons further forward would stretch opponents.    But we didn’t change, if anything we lost our way.   It’s bizarre watching Villa get outplayed week in week out and win, then us outplaying teams but can’t buy one!   

Its been a constant issue that we’ve lost leads, often the cry being tiredness has done us.    That’s for the coach to affect.

At Newcastle, commentators suggested that 0-0 looked inevitable in the end.   So change was required.    Drmic for Zimmermann, why not.   Lewis down the left, give us something different.

Getting our full backs further forward may provide more penetration and if Godfrey could offer that central midfield insurance (and with his pace, power and ability he could) it makes sense to try this too.   Especially if he is otherwise going to sit on a bench against Liverpool next week.   It’s worth trying as neither Tettey nor Trybull have proved good enough even if its ‘for one match only’.     It may provide the catalyst we need to go and get some points until the end of the season.    Are we right to avoid the experiment, is it worth a go or could it be stubbornness that holds us back….. I say, come on, let’s give it a go!  

We’re nowhere near the worst team in this division…. It’s probably fair to suggest we could easily be mid-table and going in the right direction but sadly, our naivety has cost us.   Late subs are part of that problem… if we aren’t ahead with 30 mins left, then we need to react to give us a chance of the win.   

OTBC

I like forward penetration