Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Sean raggett

Would imagine Godfrey will be sold in the summer. Zimmermann, Hanley, Klose and Raggett sounds pretty good for the Championship, although I guess Farke may want to replace Godfrey with a more like-for-like defender, one who's agile, quick and comfortable on the ball. Raggett's very much an old-school centre back.

Playing regularly for a Pompey team who are on a very good run. Don't think he's anywhere near in Godfrey's class, but he could be a good 4th/5th choice if we are back in the Championship. 

If we go with raggett even as 4th choice I would view that as a huge step back, we should be looking to invest in a defender who can step up and become a prem defender upon promotion.  We need better than we have, given the current squad do have limitations at this level.

Raggett simply won't be that player 

• Like 3

I am of course assuming we go down and Godfrey is sold think raggett would be ok in championship who would have thought Godfrey would be premiership quality when he went out on loan 

my comments are based on us being relegated.   

He does not suit our style. His passing wasnt good enough 2 seasons ago, & the training team look like they have decided they were unlikely to improve that part of his game. There is no evidence to suggest he can improve now, esp as he is 26 rather than 20.   Agree he could be ok for a lower champs team but that/league 1 is his standard.   A good honest player but not for us.

• Like 1

You saying that he's not as good as the defenders who concede an average of two goals per game?

They haven't been good enough for the Premier League, they also shipped far too many goals last season in the Championship, yes sell them and upgrade but no, don't sell them and bring in Raggett!

Yeah don't think Raggett is an upgrade on any of our current CB's I'm afraid! If we sell, and go down, I have a feeling we'll replace with different players, not those already on the books at CB (aside from maybe bringing Famewo in to the squad as he fits with the profile)

I imagine Raggett will stay with Pompey, who may or may not continue with this run they're on if they get promoted to the Championship. Then I'll feel very silly for saying Raggett isn't quite good enough for us! Just not sure he's what we need or fits with Farke's philosophy.

Always good to hear good reports coming back from loaned out players like Raggett. Can only be a positive from an investment perspective. Cant see him ever being part of our current set up and will no doubt be sold come the summer.

His contract expires this summer but we have a one-year option, so we can either let his contract expire and let him go for nothing, or exercise the extra year so either a) we can get a small fee for him, or b) he can start the season as a fourth or fifth CB for us.

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yeah don't think Raggett is an upgrade on any of our current CB's I'm afraid! If we sell, and go down, I have a feeling we'll replace with different players, not those already on the books at CB (aside from maybe bringing Famewo in to the squad as he fits with the profile)

I imagine Raggett will stay with Pompey, who may or may not continue with this run they're on if they get promoted to the Championship. Then I'll feel very silly for saying Raggett isn't quite good enough for us! Just not sure he's what we need or fits with Farke's philosophy.

That’s pretty much how I see it, Famewo or Bushiri are in our youth set up and out on loan, if Godfrey goes one of them will no doubt be given a chance in the championship, that’s if they prove themselves in the summer good enough.

• Like 1

Assuming we lose Ben in the summer, then I think our CB’s are pretty much cut and dried for next season should we be relegated. Timm, Zimbo, Grant plus either Famewo or Bushiri - I’d lean towards Famewo given some of the reviews he’s had up in Scotland recently. Be amazed if Raggett is still here after the summer, irrespective of which division we’re in.

17 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Assuming we lose Ben in the summer, then I think our CB’s are pretty much cut and dried for next season should we be relegated. Timm, Zimbo, Grant plus either Famewo or Bushiri - I’d lean towards Famewo given some of the reviews he’s had up in Scotland recently. Be amazed if Raggett is still here after the summer, irrespective of which division we’re in.

Yes he’s certainly been praised, Bushiri also looks a unit, if those two can develop together that would be a great result.

He is now 26 having been signed as a 23 year old nearly two and a half years ago ( Aug 2017 ) and has made just 2 appearances for us so something tells me he is not really going to set the world alight at Norwich City.

Edited by TIL 1010

"On-loan defender Rocky Bushiri, who received a red card against former club KV Oostende in the Belgian top-flight.

The 20-year-old was involved in an off the ball incident which led to his initial booking.

He then got beaten by Oostende striker Fashion Sakala before he hit the opener for the hosts.

Bushiri's second yellow came after he elbowed a defender when competing for a header in the latter stages of the game."

(Thanks Connor Southwell)

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

If the same guard is in place ie Webber and Farke you’ve got more chance of seeing me at CB than Raggett. To say he didn’t impress in any respect is an understatement. If his Ego has its way however he’d be in the Liverpool side. 

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

If the same guard is in place ie Webber and Farke you’ve got more chance of seeing me at CB than Raggett. To say he didn’t impress in any respect is an understatement. If his Ego has its way however he’d be in the Liverpool side. 

I feel the same, GPB, although I didn’t know he’s got a big ego - are you garnering that from his posts on social media or something else? Just curious, as I don’t follow him on any media outlet.

I'd be amazed if he was here as a top 4 CB next year, that said CB is a position that can take few years to blossom, he may be on a steep learning curve and make the step up. I hope so for his sake and ours.

16 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I feel the same, GPB, although I didn’t know he’s got a big ego - are you garnering that from his posts on social media or something else? Just curious, as I don’t follow him on any media outlet.

Something else. An end of season dinner ! 

• Like 1

I don't see Raggett featuring for us based on our style not meshing with his.

I do wonder if at some point we made need to drop our insistence about everyone having to be super comfortable on the ball at all positions though.

15 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Something else. An end of season dinner ! 

Haha, spill the beans, GPB!

17 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

"On-loan defender Rocky Bushiri, who received a red card against former club KV Oostende in the Belgian top-flight.

The 20-year-old was involved in an off the ball incident which led to his initial booking.

He then got beaten by Oostende striker Fashion Sakala before he hit the opener for the hosts.

Bushiri's second yellow came after he elbowed a defender when competing for a header in the latter stages of the game."

(Thanks Connor Southwell)

I bet they don’t have VAR!😉

• Haha 1

On 03/02/2020 at 12:15, Feedthewolf said:

Would imagine Godfrey will be sold in the summer. Zimmermann, Hanley, Klose and Raggett sounds pretty good for the Championship, although I guess Farke may want to replace Godfrey with a more like-for-like defender, one who's agile, quick and comfortable on the ball. Raggett's very much an old-school centre back.

I don't think that sounds that good for the Championship.  Raggett who has shown potential for years but it's never materialised for whatever reason, Klose always injured and question marks around Hanley.  For me that leaves Zimmermann and Hanley as a back-up so if we sold Godfrey, we'd still need 2.