Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

Ben godfrey

It will be interesting to see what df does when Godfrey is back ,we look better defensively with Hanley and Zimmerman ,Godfrey has all the attributes to be a top cdm but does  seem vulnerable defensively at cb.otbc

We had a clean sheet this week so it would be a bit of a surprise if Hanley was dropped - although Godfrey came straight back in last time he was out of the team. Godfrey's strengths are that he has supreme fitness, pace and mobility - and his passing is excellent, but Hanley has been very, very good since he got back in the team......

It's been suggested several times but maybe a case for three at the back? 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We had a clean sheet this week so it would be a bit of a surprise if Hanley was dropped - although Godfrey came straight back in last time he was out of the team. Godfrey's strengths are that he has supreme fitness, pace and mobility - and his passing is excellent, but Hanley has been very, very good since he got back in the team......

It's been suggested several times but maybe a case for three at the back? 

I still think we should have 2 cb ,as you say he has all them attributes so cdm would be good .ps (not worth anywhere near 50 million)

Certainly dont think its a given that he should walk straight back in...and nor should he. We've looked better defensively since his injury and now suspension

...and if he does it should be more zimmerman whos under threat than hanley

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 3

It's a tricky decision and a nice dilemma for Farke to have. I think that given as it's Liverpool next up he might go for Godfrey's extra pace on this occasion. 

• Like 1

If Farke deems that Zimmermann and Hanley did well at Newcastle, then he simply will not bring Godfrey back into the starting line up...... its not his way.     Given the choice, Godfrey starts if only for the fact we need his pace ....

This is however an ideal opportunity to start him as CDM as his pace, power and tenacity is what our midfield has been missing all season.  He has enough experience in that role to do well.     We have to try to get results and against Liverpool, he's far more likely to have an affect on the game than Tettey or Trybull.     OTBC 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If Farke deems that Zimmermann and Hanley did well at Newcastle, then he simply will not bring Godfrey back into the starting line up...... its not his way.     Given the choice, Godfrey starts if only for the fact we need his pace ....

This is however an ideal opportunity to start him as CDM as his pace, power and tenacity is what our midfield has been missing all season.  He has enough experience in that role to do well.     We have to try to get results and against Liverpool, he's far more likely to have an affect on the game than Tettey or Trybull.     OTBC 

He certainly had an effect in his last game by getting sent off.  

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Yeah could not agree more cdm is the future for him otbc

Got shot on here a few weeks ago for saying we look far more solid at the back with Hanley in the side, so am pleased to see I’m not going crazy and that plenty of others think it as well. As good as Ben is, I do not think it’s any coincidence that we don’t look panicked at the back with Grant in the side, as we did for almost every game he wasn’t involved. I used to cringe as Krul was put in tricky situations regularly, it would happen every single game. Since those recent thoughts, Hanley has continued to impress whilst also scoring away against Burnley. He appears to be over the injury that affected his mobility and form earlier in the season. So I do not think Ben should just walk back in to the team, Grant fully deserves his place, but I definitely think Ben will undoubtedly be a top defender in the future as there’s a lot of raw talent there. The imminent return of Timm will only strengthen as further, so just have to hope our boys up top find their shooting boots again whilst we still have time to get off the bottom. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Would be keen to see a race between Ben and Grant. As when Hanley gets up to speed he is actually pretty quick!

All this talk of Ben at CDM though. It's not going to happen guys!! Not under Farke anyway. He is being touted as a CB and that's where he'll stay. If someone else buys him, I bet it is as a CB and not a CDM. His versatility will make him an attractive proposition regardless.

20 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Would be keen to see a race between Ben and Grant. As when Hanley gets up to speed he is actually pretty quick!

All this talk of Ben at CDM though. It's not going to happen guys!! Not under Farke anyway. He is being touted as a CB and that's where he'll stay. If someone else buys him, I bet it is as a CB and not a CDM. His versatility will make him an attractive proposition regardless.

You are probably correct, however, given the choice v Liverpool, if we do stick with Zimm and Hanley at the back, who would you play in CDM.    Tettey, Trybull or Godfrey?      Godfrey any day for me!   

It's about the now though and our (best) chances of getting out of this situation.    

Edited by ged in the onion bag

With Liverpool coming up, I’d keep to the same CB pairing as I’d rather concede 5 with Hanley at the back than Godfrey! 😂😉

35 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

So is a 40 tonne truck, but like Hanley by the time it’s up to full speed it’s too late! 😂 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

You are probably correct, however, given the choice v Liverpool, if we do stick with Zimm and Hanley at the back, who would you play in CDM.    Tettey, Trybull or Godfrey?      Godfrey any day for me!   

It's about the now though and our (best) chances of getting out of this situation.    

Well, Tettey and McLean will likely be the pairing in midfield again. Godfrey won't be anywhere near midfield, aside from when striding out from the back!

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

So is a 40 tonne truck, but like Hanley by the time it’s up to full speed it’s too late! 😂 

Think that's a bit unfair! He's been pretty good in these recent games.

Ben Godfrey's never played in midfield above League One level. Farke sat him down and said he could have a decent career as a midfielder but had the potential to be a world class centreback. We literally seem to do this topic every six months, and Godfrey doesn't have the qualities that Farke looks for in a defensive midfielder.

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Think that's a bit unfair! He's been pretty good in these recent games.

Indy has a thing about Hanley, so for him, that's almost praise.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

We literally seem to do this topic every six months,

More like every six weeks, possibly less.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Indy has a thing about Hanley, so for him, that's almost praise.

I don’t rate him as a premiership defender, just too slow in the mind, too slow to react and is the old fashioned cart horse clogger for lower league style!

Zimbo and Godfrey are far quicker to react, block shots, recover to make a challenge and can play the ball from the back. Both still make mistakes and need to be better.

But Hanley’s done ok when needed, certainty plays at his best but he’s not the level of Godfrey that’s why Godfrey is sought after and Hanley was only ever looked at by Blackburn.

So yes I do have a thing, he’s just not good enough, that’s why Newcastle got shot and Farke tried in the summer.......we all have our opinions if that’s OK.😉

Edited by Indy

Some truth to that but at the moment Hanley is fit & in good form. Performances have been good recently, including a solid clean sheet away from home. It'd be harsh to bring Godfrey back in straight away for Hanley again, and being slightly 'chastened' for that red won't do any harm in the long run. Unlikely DF will bench Zimmermann either, so as you were for me for the moment. Would Hanley & Godfrey make a good combination?

3 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Some truth to that but at the moment Hanley is fit & in good form. Performances have been good recently, including a solid clean sheet away from home. It'd be harsh to bring Godfrey back in straight away for Hanley again, and being slightly 'chastened' for that red won't do any harm in the long run. Unlikely DF will bench Zimmermann either, so as you were for me for the moment. Would Hanley & Godfrey make a good combination?

Yep totally agree, but we have Liverpool next and I think Farke will be a little hesitant to play Hanley because of the front three of Liverpool, he’ll probably think Zimbo & Godfrey being more mobile and better on the ball as the better option.

I do agree though Hanley has been solid and deserves to start, could play three at the back you never know.

16 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Don't believe for one minute that farke would drop Zimmerman 😄

Hanley has been there and done it and imo is a decent CB, I for one would keep our club captain in the starting 11, afterall I guess Farke made him captain for a reason. Our goals conceded when he is playing speak for themselves, which is why I say, a back 3 with Lewis and Aaron's may be the best way forward, allowing the FB's more chance to bomb forward and Godfrey to play a more CDM role when appropriate. What do we have to lose?