Sign in to follow this  
Il Pirata

Has Pukki been found out?

14 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

Not a dig, far from it, love the guy. Border line man crush, above Holt, Huckerby and Iwan for me.  But a few of his missed chances recently seem to follow a theme.

A lot of Pukki's goals come from a through ball, then a one on one with the keeper. Last season he was deadly, and seemed to find the far corner of the net perfectly and without issue. Ipswich at home, Wigan away, Leicester away... etc, etc. 

But looking at the two missed one on ones against Bournemouth and Newcastle, it appears the keeper is already on the way down before he kicks the ball, or at least as he kicks it. 

Question, is there a theme here, and have opposition goalkeepers / coaches cottoned on? Should Pukki look to work on near post finishes, or a couple of touches more and rounding the keeper? 

Not sure if this is of interest.. but has got me thinking. A lot of Pukki's goals seem to be very similar. 

The finish that we've seen very little/nothing of from Teemu in a Norwich shirt is the dink over the keeper. If keepers are going down a little early expecting him to try and place it into the far corner then the dink is a very good option. (Have seen him do it while playing for Finland so he's got it in his armoury). 

Don't know if it's been said, but is his toe still giving him pain, perhaps? It's quite amazing how such a little niggle can possibly affect a player's game, but it certainly can.

He is still finding the space, though, and while he's doing that I feel he can still contribute a few more goals yet! Let's not get too concerned.

25 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The finish that we've seen very little/nothing of from Teemu in a Norwich shirt is the dink over the keeper. If keepers are going down a little early expecting him to try and place it into the far corner then the dink is a very good option. (Have seen him do it while playing for Finland so he's got it in his armoury). 

It's all part of the plan, do the same thing for a while and get all goalkeepers into a mindset of thinking what he is going to do and then at the business end of the season start varying the finishes and get the goals when they're most needed! 😊

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's all part of the plan, do the same thing for a while and get all goalkeepers into a mindset of thinking what he is going to do and then at the business end of the season start varying the finishes and get the goals when they're most needed! 😊

Aha! I see the cunning plan now. Lull them into a false sense of security then ...

Image result for batman cartoon biff, wham"Image result for batman cartoon biff, wham"

Image result for batman cartoon biff, wham"

• Haha 1

Just to re-iterated, I didn't articulate my point very well with the headline term 'found out.' 

Clearly Teemu hasn't been found out, his intelligence and movement make him unplayable sometimes and a joy to watch. My point was really around the common type of goal he seems to score, and his finishing technique. I've noticed recently that keepers seem to be going down early to foil him, as he nearly always looks to shoot early and low across goal - when one-on-one.

His intelligence and link up play with Buendia puts in a one-on-one situation a lot. Therefore does he need to try something new in this situation, like a dink, a near post finish, or attempt to round the keeper? 

The Newcastle keeper was virtually laying down before Pukki shot... there's definitely a bit of homework at play there IMO. 

His lack of goals recently are not necessarily to do with confidence or fatigue, it could be a technical flaw that he needs to work on. As most have recognised, he's still getting into goal scoring opportunities and in the main hitting the target. 

I think it is just decision making. He used to favour putting it across the keeper. Now he has tried different things because of his missed chances.

Like any striker worth his salt, he will start scoring regularly again and will adapt. Problem is, I don't think it will be with us.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The only thing that is obvious is that we haven't scored enough goals yet.  And it wouldn't be a miracle if we stay up - it will be because we start putting one or two more chances away - which we have the ability to do. If you are creating chances, sooner or later goals will start going in.  Man City had 21 shots on the goal yesterday and didn't score - it happens to every team.  

I think you did too much acid in your youth. 

29 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Just to re-iterated, I didn't articulate my point very well with the headline term 'found out.' 

Clearly Teemu hasn't been found out

Probably right here.

But the leading headline did invite 'clicks' - how very 2020 of you 😉

36 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Clearly Teemu hasn't been found out, 

So I.P. Just to be clear you asked if Pukki has been found out , and whilst you didn’t mean found out , you now say that he “clearly” hasn’t been found it . 

Glad we got that sorted. 😂

(I know - I’m a smartarse 😇

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Pukki has been deadly from break troughs trough out his carrer. Video bellow displays some of the goals he scored early on his carrer. Good portion of them did come from the break through. The fact that he has always been great att running behind the defensive line has never been a secret. I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden he has lost his ablility to score from one-on-one. He has just had a bit of a bad luck lately.

Pukkis goals when still in Finland

Edited by Goat

58 minutes ago, Goat said:

I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden he has lost his ablility to score from one-on-one. He has just had a bit of a bad luck lately.

This. The disallowed goal against Tottenham a prime example when he got it 100% right in amongst a few in other games where he maybe should have scored more.  Good goalkeeping and two very good last ditch tackles from defenders among those too, so really to me it looks like a combination of better goalkeepers, quicker defenders and maybe him slightly off the boil in terms of his confidence. That will return and the two week break will have done him a lot of good. 

Too reliant on right foot seems unwilling to try with left. Means keepers know which way Pukki will place the ball.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, pete said:

Too reliant on right foot seems unwilling to try with left. Means keepers know which way Pukki will place the ball.

I think confidence in front of goal is the real issue here and when it comes back ,he will be on goal trail once again.😄

27 minutes ago, pete said:

That is just wrong. He is skilled with either foot, that is part of his strength as a player and why he is a nightmare for defenders - they know he can go either side - and in front of goal he will go with whichever foot will give him the best chance to score - and he scores happily with either foot.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

That is just wrong. He is skilled with either foot, that is part of his strength as a player and why he is a nightmare for defenders - they know he can go either side - and in front of goal he will go with whichever foot will give him the best chance to score - and he scores happily with either foot.

For us he has scored 31 with his right and 8 with his left.

On 03/02/2020 at 08:02, Midlands Yellow said:

Confidence shot slightly and the injured toe causing him problems.

Agreed, particularly about confidence. Hopefully he can bang a couple in with chances he doesn't have time to think about and at least one of those two problems will dissipate.