Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Superbowl

The game should be good, but the build up to it is never ending and the talking heads on TV provide next to zero insight into the teams. It's mostly lines such as, "Whoever wants it more is going to win tonight" type of speech.

Sky generally do pretty decent coverage/analysis. The BBC is always heavily geared to people who watch the game once or twice a year and can be pretty patronising to people who are actual fans.

49 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sky generally do pretty decent coverage/analysis. The BBC is always heavily geared to people who watch the game once or twice a year and can be pretty patronising to people who are actual fans.

Agree with that - Neil Reynolds is pretty annoying though.

On a side note, has it always kicked off this early? I seem to remember it kicking off at 1:30 normally, but as it's 11:30 I might catch a bit before sleep

Answered it via google - its always been this time

Edited by kick it off

A stunningly boring game which sees yanks getting excited over progressing 10 yards up the field...amid a backdrop of eating burgers hot dogs and pizzas for 4 hours......little wonder that after nearly 150 yrs of existence ,this nonsense hasnt caught on worldwide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

A stunningly boring game which sees yanks getting excited over progressing 10 yards up the field...amid a backdrop of eating burgers hot dogs and pizzas for 4 hours......little wonder that after nearly 150 yrs of existence ,this nonsense hasnt caught on worldwide

Ever tried getting a ticket for it??  It’s  only shown in around 180 different countries Guess it will never catch on.  150 years of existence sure you’re not confusing it with Chariot Racing first one in  was Jan 1967

I know they call it Football, but it's not. 

This should be in the non-football section. 

I'm not saying it's a crappy sport and you shouldn't enjoy it, but it's just not football. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

A regular Sunday sure, burgers and hotdogs work. But for the Superbowl I see more barbeque, nachos, assortments of dips, guac, salsa, finger food sandwiches etc. With a few beers too. I'll try to enjoy.

OTBC. 6 more wins and 2 draws; as good as done.

788676820_raunisex_tshirtx925026541_3d4e1a7dcefront-c217190210230-bgf8f8f8_u4.jpg.6ae473026b02e2b8ca73086cbe346640.jpg

I do quite like the NFL, though. Fancy the 49ers tonight... when the top offense and the top defense meet, it's usually the defense that comes out on top.

• Like 1

One of my mates is registered on the official nfl website or one of the US channels anyway, and they condense the games into 30 minute highlights. That I could deal with - I quite enjoy it. What I can’t be doing with is the stop start nature. I’m a big cricket fan and even I can’t deal with how slow american football is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daly said:

Ever tried getting a ticket for it??  It’s  only shown in around 180 different countries Guess it will never catch on.  150 years of existence sure you’re not confusing it with Chariot Racing first one in  was Jan 1967

...the first American football was played in the 1880's....around as old as association football.....but how many countries is it played in professionally if at all?....an awful sport

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...the first American football was played in the 1880's....around as old as association football.....but how many countries is it played in professionally if at all?....an awful sport

Agree not played in many countries apart from South/North America, the cost involved for kids at school for equipment is astronomical and runs into several hundred dollars and soccer is growing over there. Each to his own still enjoy the highlights 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Enjoying the quick build up to the start of the game.

The game should be good. But the event of "The Superbowl" is nothing but a money grab for the NFL, sponsors etc. I've seen zero game analysis for the last 4 hours. 

1 minute ago, BaltimoreBird said:

The game should be good. But the event of "The Superbowl" is nothing but a money grab for the NFL, sponsors etc. I've seen zero game analysis for the last 4 hours. 

Who do you fancy for the win ? 

Mahomes has been unbelievable, but an odd feeling that the 49ers defense slows them down and their offense surprise a few people and put up some points.

I also still think Norwich escape, so take my thoughts for what you will.

Rugby football, American football, Australian Rules Football. And Association Football. Only one lets you head the ball and only one is played in North and South America and it ain’t the American one..... BTW good game so far. 

1 hour ago, BaltimoreBird said:

Mahomes has been unbelievable, but an odd feeling that the 49ers defense slows them down and their offense surprise a few people and put up some points.

I also still think Norwich escape, so take my thoughts for what you will.

I'll get on that 49ers and Norwich double then thanks geeze😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aggy said:

One of my mates is registered on the official nfl website or one of the US channels anyway, and they condense the games into 30 minute highlights. That I could deal with - I quite enjoy it. What I can’t be doing with is the stop start nature. I’m a big cricket fan and even I can’t deal with how slow american football is.

The stop-start nature is what I find most annoying too. (I watched the game on local catch-up tv fast forwarding big sections, until the really exciting last quarter...) By comparison, in rugby they do brain surgery on the pitch without stopping the game, in nfl every losing possession involves at least five minutes of stoppage.  

7 hours ago, Budapest Canary said:

The stop-start nature is what I find most annoying too. (I watched the game on local catch-up tv fast forwarding big sections, until the really exciting last quarter...) By comparison, in rugby they do brain surgery on the pitch without stopping the game, in nfl every losing possession involves at least five minutes of stoppage.  

Yep, cant watch it myself , which I found really disappointing when I tried as I thought I'd love it but nah, bad coverage, bad pundits and one hour game that lasts for 3plus hours, sorry not for me.  Got some magnolia emulsion I must observe  losing its moisture.

I'm a huge nfl fan but I do totally understand it isn't for everyone. I was very much in the 'too stop start' camp for years but eventually something about the game just clicked for me.

Got zero time for anyone who brings out the old 'it's just Rugby in padding' **** though.

Either accept for what it is or don't watch, simples. I for one enjoy it as I love sport, in whatever guise, man/woman v man/woman or team v team, or dare i say it, horse/dog v horse/dog, its competition and you can't beat a bit if competition imo.

High School and College football is much better to watch live as it doesn't have that stop start because of too many commercials nonsense. As for the Pro game, absolutely no point in going to a live game, you get much better coverage on TV... I'm been to two NFL games and I certainly won't bother to go to a third. And FWIW ice hockey is the exact opposite, much better live than on TV.