Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

VAR (again, again, again)

Anyone see the Liverpool highlights? Danny Ings penalty, not immediately a clear one to the ref, although he was in a good enough position to give it. Liverpool go up the other end and score. Penalty looked at by VAR, and NOT given?

What is the f*cking point in this corrupt piece of sh*t? 

To show balance, and point to incompetence rathe than corruption, Firminho was on the goal line and a cross came in and he was rugby tackled to the floor and VAR STILL didn't give a pen. 

I repeat, what's the point?

I accept we're going down and quite frankly I can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well I’ve watched the Ings ones a few times, and I still can’t really tell if he’s already losing his footing before he goes down. If VAR is to only overturn clear and obvious mistakes, then I don’t think that was one. 

The Firminho one was a clearer penalty imo and still wasn’t given.

So if you’re showing balance and “pointing to incompetence rather than corruption”, why in the preceding line do you say “What is the f*cking point in this corrupt piece of sh*t?“

It’s that sort of thing which irritates me about fans’ reactions. Yes, clearly VAR needs fine tuning. But to rant about it being corrupt is nonsense. It’s just not being implemented properly. I’m sure the big teams do “benefit” more often - that’s probably because they’re in attacking dangerous situations where defenders are making last ditch helpless challenges more often. 

Not convinced by the Ings one. Fabinho does stick out a leg, but the contact is so unclear and Ings does seem to be doing down before the leg goes out. The Firminho one was more clear IMHO, the fact that neither was given does suggest they cancelled themselves out.

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Well I’ve watched the Ings ones a few times, and I still can’t really tell if he’s already losing his footing before he goes down. If VAR is to only overturn clear and obvious mistakes, then I don’t think that was one. 

The Firminho one was a clearer penalty imo and still wasn’t given.

So if you’re showing balance and “pointing to incompetence rather than corruption”, why in the preceding line do you say “What is the f*cking point in this corrupt piece of sh*t?“

It’s that sort of thing which irritates me about fans’ reactions. Yes, clearly VAR needs fine tuning. But to rant about it being corrupt is nonsense. It’s just not being implemented properly. I’m sure the big teams do “benefit” more often - that’s probably because they’re in attacking dangerous situations where defenders are making last ditch helpless challenges more often. 

Because I'm a football fan and I have to experience VAR from my seat in the Barclay and therefore have an irrational hatred towards VAR. Hence my irrational ramblings. 

• Like 1

Also see the clear and obvious pass-back to the Liverpool keeper not given.

Watching the Juventus - Fiorentina game currently, where VAR has been called into use twice. Once, to check a possible pen that wasn't given (no delay), and secondly using the pitchside monitor to correctly give another pen for handball.

The thing that stands out for me is that there is no shouting or screaming in the face of the ref for a decision, or mobs of players following him around trying to bully a decision. There's the normal appeals and wavy arms, then the players got on with it. It's all a lot more respectful and I would suggest that comes down to the way the technology is being used.

It says a lot that at half time in this game, I can't help but feel really positively towards VAR but utter the term regarding a PL game and I shudder at the thought. It isn't the technology, it's the people using it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Also see the clear and obvious pass-back to the Liverpool keeper not given.

Watching the Juventus - Fiorentina game currently, where VAR has been called into use twice. Once, to check a possible pen that wasn't given (no delay), and secondly using the pitchside monitor to correctly give another pen for handball.

The thing that stands out for me is that there is no shouting or screaming in the face of the ref for a decision, or mobs of players following him around trying to bully a decision. There's the normal appeals and wavy arms, then the players got on with it. It's all a lot more respectful and I would suggest that comes down to the way the technology is being used.

It says a lot that at half time in this game, I can't help but feel really positively towards VAR but utter the term regarding a PL game and I shudder at the thought. It isn't the technology, it's the people using it.

In all other leagues an offside is only looked at if it is a clear and obvious mistake ie the var officials looking at the screens and seeing the player is clearly offside. Likewise if you haul somebody down in the penalty area a penalty is given. This does not cause much delay anymore as shock horror because a penalty was always and consistently given, players are no longer hauled down in the penalty area from corners etc.

Watched VAR Of The Day last night and the pundits seemed to think Southampton should have had a penalty but VOTD never mentioned the fact that the review was obviously taking place while Liverpool scored. So how would they then go back to the penalty?

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

In all other leagues an offside is only looked at if it is a clear and obvious mistake ie the var officials looking at the screens and seeing the player is clearly offside.

Don’t think this is true. I posted a link a couple of weeks ago to a decision that was ruled offside in a Barca game where they put the little line thingy from an armpit down and judged it to be off.

You’ve also got to remember that most countries in Europe, the big leagues anyway, have had VAR for two or three years. Certainly in the Bundesliga it was hated at first, and then they changed it to more pitch side monitor checking (which was equally hated for a while because that was then being over used) and now most pundits seem to think they’ve found the right balance.

Hopefully next time we’re back in the prem, it will be a lot smoother.

Disgusting challenge from Sterling, what is wrong with var and the ref, right under his nose, ankle breaker straight red.

How is that Raheem Sterling foul any different from the Aubameyang red card against Crystal Palace a couple weeks ago? Both unintentional yet one was declared serious foul play and the other not? Too many inconsistencies with this VAR nonsense.

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

You’ve also got to remember that most countries in Europe, the big leagues anyway, have had VAR for two or three years. Certainly in the Bundesliga it was hated at first, and then they changed it to more pitch side monitor checking (which was equally hated for a while because that was then being over used) and now most pundits seem to think they’ve found the right balance.

Hopefully next time we’re back in the prem, it will be a lot smoother.

Makes the fact they've messed up VAR in this country even more laughable, when they had replica case studies to try and base it on (but instead ignored and tried to do their own thing - ultimately failing).

The VAR on the Tottenham Man City game genuinely deserved the benny hill theme song going as it occurred

what an absolute mess!

39 mins: Play continues for two full minutes, before Dean indicates that VAR has awarded the penalty!

😯🤨

Just now, The Real Buh said:

The VAR on the Tottenham Man City game genuinely deserved the benny hill theme song going as it occurred

what an absolute mess!

As explained by BBC:

Serge Aurier brought down Sergio Aguero in the box but Mike Dean said he won the ball.

Play went on for about two minutes while VAR was checking in the background.

VAR gives a penalty.

Ilkay Gundogan's penalty is saved by Hugo Lloris (who was off his line but VAR doesn't check for that).

Raheem Sterling goes down from a possible Lloris tackle as he tries to get the rebound.

There is a huge melee as VAR checks whether it is a penalty.

VAR says no penalty.

Two players are booked for their part in the melee, but Sterling doesn't get one for his dive.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

As explained by BBC:

Serge Aurier brought down Sergio Aguero in the box but Mike Dean said he won the ball.

Play went on for about two minutes while VAR was checking in the background.

VAR gives a penalty.

Ilkay Gundogan's penalty is saved by Hugo Lloris (who was off his line but VAR doesn't check for that).

Raheem Sterling goes down from a possible Lloris tackle as he tries to get the rebound.

There is a huge melee as VAR checks whether it is a penalty.

VAR says no penalty.

Two players are booked for their part in the melee, but Sterling doesn't get one for his dive.

That's because it wasn't a dive.  Should have been another penalty IMO.

That's exactly how Godfrey got sent off!!!!

Which is exactly what Frank just said.😀

Edited by Herman
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

That's exactly how Godfrey got sent off!!!!

Which is exactly what Frank just said.😀

Yep. Rubbish!

I haven't been following this VAR thing in detail but am I right in thinking that in our case every VAR decision that has overturned the onfield decision has gone against us? If so, is this the case with some other clubs or do we have this distinction uniquely?

The Sterling one is a shocker. Whoever the var officials were should be made to explain that decision. Clear red, the same as Godfreys was

When Godfrey got sent off and the ref was looking at the monitor while a fight broke out just behind him Was a perfect chaotic metaphor for VAR

30 minutes ago, JF said:

The Sterling one is a shocker. Whoever the var officials were should be made to explain that decision. Clear red, the same as Godfreys was

Retrospective red perhaps ? It emphasises yet again that there is favouritism going on here. Nothing to do with VAR but the biased people behind the scenes.

Edited by paul moy

Pundits saying it wasn't too bad because both players were on their feet. What sense does that make? A violent foul is just that and off he goes.

At this point some clubs are clearly Teflon.

the referees don’t have the courage to make decisions against them.

theyve always been cowards, this season has just shown it all the clearer

VAR has already achieved its objective.

When was the last time you heard the terraces chant, "The referee's a w**ker" as they have for probably the last hundred years?

VAR can never really work because all of the game is about opinion. All VAR does is take away the opinion from somebody on the spot, the referee, to someone perhaps a hundred miles away.

And still opinions differ.

Let's let the referee referee!

If he makes a lot of mistakes, he's a poor referee but human.

If he makes a lot fewer mistakes then he's a good referee and should be in charge of the better games.

Refereeing is just like playing, sometimes everything go for you and sometimes they don't. You just have to put up with it!

The flag and whistle is still best.

This is why I think VAR is a waste of time. In theory I would like it used for clear and obvious errors, but who decides if its clear and obvious?

Offside is supposedly a matter of fact but even those close decisions are debated.

For me, the ings one is debatable, Sterling a yellow I think was right, godfrey slid in and was more 'out of control'. But I accept there are different opinions.

What is everyone's view on Cantwells pen claim? I thought he was going down before the contact,looking for pen.

I'd happily get rid of VAR and trust in the human element. Mistakes will happen but the game remains human and emotional.