Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Disappointing pukki

Really disappointed in him the last few games , the penalties were well taken but his goal scoring ability has vanished . So much promise at the start of the season but now misfiring .he has not had the best support but should have had two today .  Like the centre half position we have no real alternative. 

As with any striker there are dips in performance. We just have to hope he finds some form quickly. 

Maybe start Drmic against Liverpool to make a point. 

Ever since he was injured he doesn’t look comfortable, he’s not taking the kind of chances he did last season and early this season. Am disappointed we don’t seem to have decent backup that the manager trusts to come on.

35 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Ever since he was injured he doesn’t look comfortable, he’s not taking the kind of chances he did last season and early this season. Am disappointed we don’t seem to have decent backup that the manager trusts to come on.

Think the manager trusts Drmic absolutely, but at this stage of the season it would take a brave man to drop Pukki. 

Pukki is only in the top ten for goal scorers. He's been an absolute disgrace all season. I'm sure if he was the leagues top goalscorer we wouldn't be bottom of the league.

#letdown

• Haha 2

We're a one trick pony and have been all season...someone, often Buendia will slip a throughball in to put him through with a one on one, we have no other tactic and very few other ways of scoring....so if that stops working, we have nothing else.

Pukki is on course for 15 plus goals which would be a decent amount of goals. What is not decent is that no-one else is able to get on the score sheet. 

One of the reasons we were promoted was on the strength of Vrancic's goals most of which were vital. Not had that this season as he is not - and ought to be - in the team imo. Buendia also not getting in on goal enough.  No defenders scoring from set pieces. 

Pukki may not be quite on top form, but he is still the best hold up striker in the division and has one of the best strike rates. We need others to step up and score too. 

Edited by lake district canary

I think we are paying the price for playing him through his injury due to the fact we did not have any fit back up because the squad was left too thin.He doesn’t look fully fit. 

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We're a one trick pony and have been all season...someone, often Buendia will slip a throughball in to put him through with a one on one, we have no other tactic and very few other ways of scoring....so if that stops working, we have nothing else.

Unfortunately, this has some truth in it. 

Cantwell has managed to get himself into a few goal scoring positions but that's about as far as our goal threat goes. Opposition teams have worked this out and get men behind the ball to prevent our playmakers from finding space, often leading to us passing it back to Zimbo and Hanley.

Pukki has had a few 1 vs 1s in the last few games that he would have tucked away easily last year. I think it is a combination of better goal keeping and confidence - especially since he injured his foot. 

I would like to see Drmic given a bit more of a chance. He looked very rusty vs Burnley but you could see that he is a decent player. 

I think people are over playing his "injury". Didn't look much wrong with him when he hammered that left foot half volley that the goalkeeper saved.

99 times out of 100 that would have gone in.

Strikers are like golfers - they have runs when everything goes in and runs, doing exactly the same things, when they don't go in.

It will pass

And anyone thinking that Drmic is a better bet than Pukki are in dreamland

Edited by Making Plans

I posted average goals per minute ratios in the match thread yesterday. His record is still better than/as good as literally everyone in the division (with ten goals or more) other than Aguero, Vardy, Sterling and Ings. It’s as good/better than Salah, Firminho, Rashford, Abrahams etc, etc.

That’s how a full season works - players score goals in spells, then have quiet spells. Then score more goals. Every striker (other than perhaps Aguero, Vardy...) have spells where they aren’t doing so well and other spells where they are.

The issue isn’t Pukki. The issue is that nobody else is scoring. 

And as much as everyone keeps saying we create a bucket load of chances for a side at the bottom...well, here’s a link that suggests only three sides have created fewer chances than us this season. 

Our shoddy defence is often defended with the idea that the way we play is to score more than the opposition, swashbuckling attack etc. Etc. Well if you go in with that attitude and don’t actually create more chances than anyone else, then you’re not going to win games.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_created?se=274

Oh and the same link suggests we have missed fewer big chances than 16 other clubs his season. Salah, Rashford etc. Etc. score (and miss sitters) at the same rate as Pukki, they just get given significantly more chances to do so.

No matter how many Pukki missed yesterday, Duda missed the worst of them all. After Pukki's attempt was saved and Newcastle just about avoided an own goal, El Dude had acres of space and time to pick his spot or even square it to a completely unmarked city shirt. Instead he panic blasted it high and wide. That one should have definitely ended up in the net.

10 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Really disappointed in him the last few games , the penalties were well taken but his goal scoring ability has vanished . So much promise at the start of the season but now misfiring .he has not had the best support but should have had two today .  Like the centre half position we have no real alternative. 

Dont think you can say scoring ability has vanished. In double figures for the season and teams have sussed us out and goalkeepers are a hell of a lot better than championship keepers. I know theres some decent keepers in championship but also some turd ones.

Norwich hit woodwork 10 times this season so far, 2nd in the league. Could've been a lot different story

7 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Norwich hit woodwork 10 times this season so far, 2nd in the league. Could've been a lot different story

That's a good point. And none of those 10 times have been Pukki if I remember correctly. We've been centimetres away from the others chipping in with a lot more goals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

No matter how many Pukki missed yesterday, Duda missed the worst of them all. After Pukki's attempt was saved and Newcastle just about avoided an own goal, El Dude had acres of space and time to pick his spot or even square it to a completely unmarked city shirt. Instead he panic blasted it high and wide. That one should have definitely ended up in the net.

Yes - that was clearly the worst miss of the lot yesterday. 

23 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

That's a good point. And none of those 10 times have been Pukki if I remember correctly. We've been centimetres away from the others chipping in with a lot more goals. 

Yep. One of those things. If we were going to stay up we were going to need a good slice of luck so everything fell into place. Instead we have had the complete opposite where we've barely got a point we havent deserved, not got points we should have, hit the woodwork more than anyone else this season, had our CBs decimated, had VAR screw us over at vital points etc etc 

Pukki is our best striker, no question. He is playing against better defenders and keepers, no question. 

But its the manner of the chances being missed- there was a run of games where he simply didn't get the service and we were left wishing we could just release him with a clear sight of goal. Problem is, he now seems to get at least 1 chance per game now with only the keeper to beat and the conviction just isn't there on the shot. Yesterday alone, there were three chances where he could've seen the whites of Dubravka's eyes and either blazed it or fluffed it.

Something is clearly not right with him- yes, it would take a brave manager to drop Teemu at this point and I don't think Farke will. But I'd also advocate giving Drmic at least half an hour in the PL to try and prove why we should see him more- marginal games and all that.

I suspect Pukki is elsewhere in his head. 

He knows the game is up, and he will be looking to the summer. 

The guy has one more move in him, and it could be a huge one. 

Perhaps he's got loyalty, ambition, nerves, pressure, and his future rattling around even on the pitch. 

I know I would. 

• Haha 1

Maybe if we had provided him with adequate back up... Anyone having a pop at Pukki is completely wrong in my book. Let down by lack of competition in the most important area of the park

As farke said it was one of those days.  Still getting in great positions and making the keeper make the save (thought dubravka was impressive). While he is doing the we should persevere with him

And aubamayang missed a similar chance v Burnley

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

4 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yep fair points. Again though, while there’s an argument that hitting the woodwork is unlucky, there’s another one that actually if the players were that little fraction better, it would have nestled into the top corner instead.

It’s small margins in this division, certainly in the bottom half (where I don’t think there’s much difference between anyone really). There have only been a few games this season where I’ve thought we just weren’t even slightly competitive. Most of the time, we’re close but just not quite good enough. 

• Like 1