Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

MOTD

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Last season there were more goals in the PL than in any previous season since the league was reduced to 20 teams.

Hows VAR changed that?

7 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

You’re just being petty about this. There’s naturally going to be more people interested and more to say about a team that is the current European and World champions, that played a competitive game against a side in good form and scored 4 goals, than a game in which 2 poor sides played out a nil nil draw. 

I cannot disagree with the MOTD time provisioning or match order whatsoever. Maybe we wouldn’t be last on if we actually put the ball in the net from open play once in a while?

IMHO, you’re the one who’s petty as you use any potential opportunity to have a go at the club, or the owners, and trot out the “no investment” line. But we’re never going to agree on this, so let’s leave it there.

I didn't expect anything else except last billing on VOTD. A couple of contentious VARs may have changed that more than a couple of goals 

What I thought unfair was using all the time left for Shearer to talk about Newcastle. We were after all the better team.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I didn't expect anything else except last billing on VOTD. A couple of contentious VARs may have changed that more than a couple of goals 

What I thought unfair was using all the time left for Shearer to talk about Newcastle. We were after all the better team.

It happens again and again and again. It's not even a Norwich thing, it's an endemic part of MOTD - if Shearer is on he will be given loads of time to talk about his club - it's been going on for years and it's nearly always the same ranting about how thet aren't very good. It's just so stale.

13 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Heaven forbid we beat Liverpool, now that will be interesting 

If we do it will be because they didn't turn up, had an off day, Klopp's teeth fell out or some other reason totally unrelated to us.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Hows VAR changed that?

VAR has decreased goals by erring in favour of defending teams.  For instance the Pukki offside, the ridiculous accidental handballs, and the denial of a goal by Aarons alleged encroachment. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

If we do it will be because they didn't turn up, had an off day, Klopp's teeth fell out or some other reason totally unrelated to us.

If we beat Liverpool it will be because they haven’t turned up, that’s a fact, weather you like it or not is absolutely irrelevant. If both teams turn up and produce their A game then Liverpool take the three points. The very reason why you choose to be blind to this or contrary to it is your problem, no one else’s 

9 minutes ago, JF said:

If we beat Liverpool it will be because they haven’t turned up, that’s a fact

Not necessarily. Luck plays a part. They will be good, no doubt and will turn up - but if we play at our best we will give them a good game and then it is down to a bit of luck going our way on the day - and we are due a bit of luck.

44 minutes ago, paul moy said:

VAR has decreased goals by erring in favour of defending teams.  For instance the Pukki offside, the ridiculous accidental handballs, and the denial of a goal by Aarons alleged encroachment. 

Wait, what?

The Pukki offside, sure.

But ridiculous accidental handball have led to penalties, and Aaron's VAR encroachment gave Arsenal the opportunity to retake a missed penalty.

2/3rds of your argument for VAR decreasing goals are actually arguments for VAR increasing goals.

Come on Paul, stop being ironic...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Wait, what?

The Pukki offside, sure.

But ridiculous accidental handball have led to penalties, and Aaron's VAR encroachment gave Arsenal the opportunity to retake a missed penalty.

2/3rds of your argument for VAR decreasing goals are actually arguments for VAR increasing goals.

Does he mean that some goals have been disallowed because of accidental handballs in the build up? But that is a new rule this year so perhaps that should be 50/50 for this statistic.

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

And it will only get worse

21 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

And it will only get worse

... until they adjust the laws with an element of commonsense.  VAR is not the issue, the people that implemented it are due to their bias, stupidity and lack of commonsense.

44 minutes ago, paul moy said:

... until they adjust the laws with an element of commonsense.  VAR is not the issue, the people that implemented it are due to their bias, stupidity and lack of commonsense.

I agree with that! For reference see the spurs Man City game yesterday!

Bunch of bias to$$ers with little to say on MOTD. They need to freshen things up on the pundit side of things and take a leaf out of the book from other shows, which are far superior in terms of coverage from the lower leagues.

3 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Wait, what?

The Pukki offside, sure.

There have been many goals disallowed for accidental handball due to the change in the law that states if the ball hits a player's arm/hand in the build-up to a goal then it is to be  disallowed. Last season 99% of those goals would have been allowed. So of course VAR introduction has reduced the number of goals. Again, that is not VAR's fault but the people making decisions on the hoof to change laws.

24 minutes ago, paul moy said:

There have been many goals disallowed for accidental handball due to the change in the law that states if the ball hits a player's arm/hand in the build-up to a goal then it is to be  disallowed. Last season 99% of those goals would have been allowed. So of course VAR introduction has reduced the number of goals. Again, that is not VAR's fault but the people making decisions on the hoof to change laws.

I thought that VAR would make things clearer and I'll admit that it hasn't done that so far, although it's still in its first season in the PL.

But why make inaccurate statements to make your point? There have only been 7 goals that have been disallowed by VAR for handball in the build-up. So you think 6.93 of those goals would have been allowed last season? And what about the 2 goals that were disallowed for handball, that VAR then allowed?

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Well, to be fair, given that they are current European champions and dropped 2 points in their last 34 premier league games (that’s 100 points out of 102) yes, if we win it will be because they don’t turn up. If they do turn up, we could play the best football we’ve ever played and still get thumped 3-0.

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I thought that VAR would make things clearer and I'll admit that it hasn't done that so far, although it's still in its first season in the PL.

But why make inaccurate statements to make your point? There have only been 7 goals that have been disallowed by VAR for handball in the build-up. So you think 6.93 of those goals would have been allowed last season? And what about the 2 goals that were disallowed for handball, that VAR then allowed?

I’m also struggling to see the link between handball and VAR. The handball law is absolutely ludicrous but that’s not VAR’s fault.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2020 at 14:51, Capt. Pants said:

Absolutely this.

Beggars belief people are looking forward to being relegated just to get what better TV coverage? No concern whatsoever that key players might leave, not to mention the manager.

It was a quite dreadful game yesterday between 2 very average sides and frankly if it hadn't had been us I would have switched off. I think if both teams had been playing now it would still had been 0-0. It didn't deserve to be even on MOTD.

We haven't scored a goal in the league in open play since January 1st!!

Would have to agree. I do think the championship is in many ways a more exciting league, but I’d rather be in the prem, at least for a few years. If we finished 15th for six years in a row, with no cup finals or the like, then I might not be too upset about a season in the championship. But I’d like to see what we could do with a few seasons of prem football under our belts with this current set up.

I’m sure there’ll be plenty of goals in our next match to ensure the Horlicks won’t have gone cold by the time we’re on MOTD...

As for Liverpool, the stars are aligning for the so called least likely team to end their unbeaten run in the Premier League - forget the fact that it’s our beloved team playing them next, most of us have been watching football far too long now to know that’s just how it works, as unlikely as it may seem. I honestly will not be surprised in the slightest if they finally slip up at Carrow Rd, not because I think we will beat them, just for the above reason really! 

20 hours ago, JF said:

If we beat Liverpool it will be because they haven’t turned up, that’s a fact, weather you like it or not is absolutely irrelevant. If both teams turn up and produce their A game then Liverpool take the three points. The very reason why you choose to be blind to this or contrary to it is your problem, no one else’s 

You may be right but until the game has been played what you have just said is not a fact, it is just your opinion.........

23 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

You may be right but until the game has been played what you have just said is not a fact, it is just your opinion.........

Opinion that if Liverpool and us both produce our A games then Liverpool win? That’s as close to a fact before the event has been played as you can possibly get. On the performance at Anfield we had many plaudits about how well we played and I’d say we were very close to our best that night. Liverpool were nowhere near their best. We lost 4-1...

40 minutes ago, JF said:

Opinion that if Liverpool and us both produce our A games then Liverpool win? That’s as close to a fact before the event has been played as you can possibly get. On the performance at Anfield we had many plaudits about how well we played and I’d say we were very close to our best that night. Liverpool were nowhere near their best. We lost 4-1...

We were not close to our best at Anfield. It was the first game of the season and we only got going in the second half. If we had been at our best we would have made a better game of it in the first half.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We were not close to our best at Anfield. It was the first game of the season and we only got going in the second half. If we had been at our best we would have made a better game of it in the first half.

That’s not really true as we could been 2 up in the first ten minutes. They were just clinical and eased off in the second off. 

17 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

It's still a plain fact that VAR has disallowed a lot of goals that in previous seasons would have stood. People that deny this are deluded.

1 hour ago, JF said:

If both teams are on their A game then I agree there is an extremely high probability that Liverpool win but that still does not make it a fact, it becomes a fact once it is known or proven. I am not against people having an opinion, I totally agree with your opinion that if Liverpool  are on their A game they will win. I apologise if you think I am picking on you specifically, but there are a lot of people who post stuff on here when discussing issues who confuse fact with opinion........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

It's still a plain fact that VAR has disallowed a lot of goals that in previous seasons would have stood. People that deny this are deluded.

You said 99% of goals disallowed by VAR for handball this season would have been allowed last season. That implies that at least 100 have been disallowed-when in fact it is 7. How delusional is an exaggeration of this magnitude?