Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Genuinely hate to say it

And I'm truly amazed what we've managed to squeeze out of him under Farke.

And people have been prematurely been writing him off every year for the past 4 years.

But I do think it is finally time we say our thanks and let Tettey go at the end of this season. 

Unless he was carrying an injury today he really did look like an old man out there on that pitch, wouldn't look out of place playing alongside all the Sky pundits in a charity game against YouTubers. 

I think a lot of us have been guilty of doing the same thing recently which is looking at Tettey with a bit of bias, because he's so likeable, he's just not good enough anymore. He hasn't got the legs, he's slowed massively, his fitness and stamina used to mask his limited ability but he's just no longer got 'it'. 

Defensive midfielder one of the areas of the pitch where we just don't have the required quality. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

He has played very well mostly this season. I don't think he had one of his better games today and looked a little subdued, but he has the occasional game like that - he will be back better and stronger next time.

I dunno, if he wants to stay on for another season I think he can still play a part in the Championship. He gets written off every season and continues to prove people wrong. Yes, poor game today but he's still been decent this season.

Besides, I want a Tetteymonial!

Couldn't disagree more. Thought he played ok today, has had a good season by and large and his experience is invaluable in such a young team. We didn't win today because we didn't take the chances we created. Nothing to do with the defensive side of our midfield play.

Isn’t the young French lad we signed this window a defensive midfielder? But agree Tettey has been immense recently.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I dunno, if he wants to stay on for another season I think he can still play a part in the Championship. He gets written off every season and continues to prove people wrong. Yes, poor game today but he's still been decent this season.

Besides, I want a Tetteymonial!

Could we squeeze one more season out of him in the Championship as a decent squad player? Possibly.

Should we be trying to eek out the last little drabs of a 34 year old Tettey, or should we be aiming to come back up stronger to have a better go next season? 

Ideally we'd be signing his replacement this summer.

I just worry he’s on a cliff edge. He’ll continue to play well enough right up until the point where his legs go and if we don’t have the right replacement there are ready to go he’ll leave a gigantic hole in the middle of the park. I know we keep writing him off but he won’t go on forever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Isn’t the young French lad we signed this window a defensive midfielder? But agree Tettey has been immense recently.

8 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Couldn't disagree more. Thought he played ok today, has had a good season by and large and his experience is invaluable in such a young team. We didn't win today because we didn't take the chances we created. Nothing to do with the defensive side of our midfield play.

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He has played very well mostly this season. I don't think he had one of his better games today and looked a little subdued, but he has the occasional game like that - he will be back better and stronger next time.

I'm impressed by how he's managed to hold his own so often this season.

But I think he's showing the first signs of physical decline and decline is unfortunately usually pretty rapid in footballers of his age. Even Roy Keane went from World Class to unable to make an impact in the SPL within the space of about a year.

We're in danger of clinging on a year too long out of sentiment like we did Russell Martin.

He's 34 in April, which means he'll be 35 by the time we win promotion again next season. I'm just being realistic here, there's a limit to how much more we'll be squeezing out of his player and those young fit Newcastle players left him for dead several times today, just looked like an old man. 

I still think we should be preparing to say goodbye here, got a hunch that he's reaching the end. I can't see Webber extending his deal, could have done so by now couldn't he? 

I'm sure he'll manage another season or two back in Norway. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

According to Sitti himself (interview on canaries.co.uk), he usually plays as a number eight, but can also play as a six. So not primarily a holding midfielder.

• Like 1

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

According to Sitti himself (interview on canaries.co.uk), he usually plays as a number eight, but can also play as a six. So not primarily a holding midfielder.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Could we squeeze one more season out of him in the Championship as a decent squad player? Possibly.

Should we be trying to eek out the last little drabs of a 34 year old Tettey, or should we be aiming to come back up stronger to have a better go next season? 

Ideally we'd be signing his replacement this summer.

Still love him as a sqaud player next year in championship .

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

Still love him as a sqaud player next year in championship .

Squad player possibly for one more season, but right now he's first choice in the Premier League and in the summer we need to sign the DM that we come up with next time, and this time we really need to get this signing spot on. Finding the Tettey successor has to be a priority in the summer, its crucial. 

Mrs T wants to go home to Norway so Alex might not have final say on the matter.  This revealed in interview with AT on the box.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

Mrs T wants to go home to Norway so Alex might not have final say on the matter.  This revealed in interview with AT on the box.

Which interview? What channel?

Given that he's been here 8 years and been such a big character, I would love to see him given a Tetteystimonial. I think he's earned it just as much as a Russ Martin, albeit Russ made about 70 more appearances.

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And people have been prematurely been writing him off every year for the past 4 years.

But I do think it is finally time we say our thanks and let Tettey go at the end of this season. 

Unless he was carrying an injury today he really did look like an old man out there on that pitch, wouldn't look out of place playing alongside all the Sky pundits in a charity game against YouTubers. 

I think a lot of us have been guilty of doing the same thing recently which is looking at Tettey with a bit of bias, because he's so likeable, he's just not good enough anymore. He hasn't got the legs, he's slowed massively, his fitness and stamina used to mask his limited ability but he's just no longer got 'it'. 

Defensive midfielder one of the areas of the pitch where we just don't have the required quality. 

And yet for most of the season he’s been one of our best players. 

I do agree that Trybull is being underused at the moment but not sure Tettey is one of our main problems. We kept a clean sheet and had 20 efforts on goal away from home. Don’t think the failure to win can be put down to our defensive midfielder. 

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Squad player possibly for one more season, but right now he's first choice in the Premier League and in the summer we need to sign the DM that we come up with next time, and this time we really need to get this signing spot on. Finding the Tettey successor has to be a priority in the summer, its crucial. 

I think next season in the championship our squad probably has enough in DM that we don’t need to add anything. Tettey has been in many games this season one of our best performers. He’s probably played too much - at his age you’re right, he shouldn’t be first choice on a regular basis. The problem we’ve got is that nobody else is as good as him defensively. In the champs, we wouldn’t need to be as defensive - Trybull, McLean , Vrancic, Leitner (?), and Tettey would still do more than a job next season. 

I doubt he’ll go on too much longer than that, unless he starts doing coaching badges Here or something and is in as cover for an emergency only.

Tettey, Zimmerman and Hanley are not good enough / comfortable enough on the ball and all teams we face are happy to let them have it as they know they won't do anything useful with it. If we are to continue to build from the back, we need everyone who can pass at a higher standard, these cannot. Tettey always takes too long on the ball, his passes generally require the receiving player to break stride / adjust for the slightly off pass and it allows the opposition to get set. Fine margins.

I mean, we created enough chances to win yesterday, but if we'd had someone better with the ball instead of Tettey, we'd have created more.

We need someone who can play defensively like Tettey who can also pass - essentially Yaya Toure 5 years ago. Anyone got a spare 50 million?

Edited by All the Germans

9 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Sadly he is made of glass.

Very true. As a couple of years ago he was looking superb in our midfield as a teenager.

One that may never materialise unfortunately.

P.S Love Alex Tettey. Solid dependable and puts in a shift each game. I say enjoy him as this may well be his hurrah.

• Like 1

Thompson is fast becoming a mainstay at MK Don's and highly rated by Russ Martin, who is turning their season around, so let's hope his fragility and/or bad luck are behind him.

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Tettey has been better than I thought he would be this season, but at times he is limbering around, Trybull and Vrancic were good last week 

I suspect the plan was for him to be a squad player/back up last August. Amadou not cutting it, defensive injuries, Leitner fading, Trybull looking a bit out of his depth, Vrancic injured etc. led to him once again being the lynch-pin. He certainly hasn't done a bad job, as always, and he must be really looking after those creaky knees to be fit & available week after week! I love Tetts but for me deep-midfield is the area where we've been over-powered on a consistent basis for most of this season. The standard is very high at this level around midfield and we haven't met it on a consistent basis. While I wouldn't be upset if Tetts hung on for one more year, we need our own Makelele/Kante/Roy Keane/Ndidi clone moving forward. Perhaps we already have him on the books (Gilmour, Sitti, Thompson...?) but it is such a crucial position that the club needs to get it right this summer. You would assume the club is tacitly preparing for a big promotion push next year. Relegation means the right calibre of CDM recruit won't come here, yet they're necessary to make a real fist of staying up once you're here. Bit of a catch-22. 

Still love Alex T though!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

This. We didn't concede. With another quality cdm next to him we would have been ok in that area this season. 

40 minutes ago, Chumino said:

This. We didn't concede. With another quality cdm next to him we would have been ok in that area this season. 

Unfortunately playing 2 defensive-minded midfielders tends to result in a lack of creativity and goals in the final 3rd. We’ve managed to steady the ship defensively compared to earlier in the season but at the cost of not scoring. Kinda of similar to what happened with Alex Neil after Newcastle away but less distinct.