Sign in to follow this  
Alex Harvey-Jones

Robinson's contract - What a lack of ambition!!!

While I am not unhappy about the signing of Robinson especially for the fee we have paid, I am mystified by the length of the contract given to him. He has signed until 2008!!! That''s a very long time for a player of questionable worth at a higher level. I think Robinson has added to our midfield and is a solid Championship player who may help us challenge to get out of the premiership. However I think it has categorically proved that Robinson is not good enough for the premiership. Sunderland only have Arca and possibly Miller who are premiership class yet Robinson can''t even make it into their side!

What then does offering Robinson such a long contract say about our ambition as a football club?? Does it say Worthy isn''t expecting us to get promoted to the premiership until 2008?? If so that isn''t great for an ambitious club. If not and Worthy is expecting us to get promoted this season, does it suggest that our squad is going to be sufficiently lacking in quality for Robinson to have a place in the team?? If he''s hoping to add quality to the squad when we get promoted then it seems stupid offering such a long contract to a player who simply won''t be good enough!!

To me this is a good short term signing but one which has consequently highlighted our lack of ambition to either get promoted or bring in real quality to the football club! A deal to the end of the season or for a year would have been best I think!!!

Most contracts are for two seasons so to keep him until 2008 is ''normal''.   I agree he des not have the necessary ability to succeed in the prem but then we offered the likes of holt, flem etc etc new contracts before our champ season and there was no questioning ambition then.

Realistically we will not be in  the prem next year so Robbo will be playing at his optimum level for at least 60% of the contract.  At 29 he is near the peak of his game.   If we do get promoted this season then we have a player that we can decide wether to sell on for a fee witha two year contract left to run or keep as a squad player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.  At £50k any fee will me a return on our investment - can anyone currently see us getting a million back from selling on Hughes and Etuhu?

Robbo is like Malky a couple of seasons ago - not quite good enough for the prem but one of the best at this level;  it is players like Robbo that help secure promotion.  But like Malky is likely to be deemed surplus to requirements if and when we do get promoted again.  At £50k its a good decision.

Same old same old...  Can''t this one go into the "Any player that Worthy signs/ has ever signed/ wants to sign/ is rumoured to want to sign/ is available and we think is bad enough that Worthy will definitely sign him/ is rubbish, whereas any player any other manager signs is a fantastic acquisition" thread?

[quote user="Old Boy"]

Same old same old...  Can''t this one go into the "Any player that Worthy signs/ has ever signed/ wants to sign/ is rumoured to want to sign/ is available and we think is bad enough that Worthy will definitely sign him/ is rubbish, whereas any player any other manager signs is a fantastic acquisition" thread?

[/quote]

I have been quite vociferous against some of worthys signings of late, however a decent aged midfielder whom has had a positive impact on the pitch during his loan spell and has 2 promotions behind him, at £50,000 is a steal.

2.5 years is a fair contract under the circumstances.

2 and a half years is perfectly normal. At the end of the day, even if we do get promoted it''s added to our squad size.

It''s very hard to please a lot of people on here...complaining about the size of the team and then when we sign a player who showed a lot of positives whilst on loan at an incredibly low fee, you complain because we''ve signed him on a contract that''s too long?

We''ve got to start giving people a chance to make their mark on the team.

I `ve been looking up Robbo`s  career so far   , and I see elements of Huckerby`s   career  in there !       for Nigel to offer this guy a good contract   at this stage   could well be a shrewd    move on Nigels part  [ which will raise the usual   snorts !]     , and what we gain   is a player  who`s potential  has never really been tapped  , he now has the security  he`s never had before ,  could be the bargain of the year !!  [<:o)]

wat worries me is that we are paying his wages till the end of the season..... does that mean he then plays for diddly squat?????

or will he be released???? is his wage dependant on us getting promoted?????

surely he cant be on more than a high earner... EG hucks?

jas :)

I say Alex, ding bloody dong, give a chap a chance. I suspect Robinson might have had a laugh himself at the ''fee'' and hopefully didn''t crack another rib. Besides, it''s nice to see Sheded isn''t just ''wedded'' to Huckerby. Infact, I think Sheded might be Huckerby, the guy obviously loves himself so why not post in his own favour and defence all the time?

What is all these negative vibes about robinson.Why is it as soon as we get a new player in he is slated i think he has settled in well and looks a very decent prospect.Has a lot of flair did any of you see him at wolves once he had settled in the lad was very good. allways played very well against us lets get of his back and give the lad a chance.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]I say Alex, ding bloody dong, give a chap a chance. I suspect Robinson might have had a laugh himself at the ''fee'' and hopefully didn''t crack another rib. Besides, it''s nice to see Sheded isn''t just ''wedded'' to Huckerby. Infact, I think Sheded might be Huckerby, the guy obviously loves himself so why not post in his own favour and defence all the time?[/quote]

I always say this Hucker  , " if you can`t believe in yourself , who can you believe in ? "   as for me being Huckerby ...  sh*t  , I`m driving  a 5 year old Fiesta  !!   

I know I`ve done my fair share  of  Huck praise  ,  but not to the exclusion  of  those players  I think show commitment   to the club , trouble is ..... there`s so few of them , isn`t there ?    Flemmo certainly , Drury ?   Doc ?   WLY when he feels like it  ?   Deano`s lost  the plot  as a striker [ for us anyway ! ]    Greeno    ? the only way  he`ll get to Germany   is on his holidays ! 

I know this is a bitter pill for some to swallow   , but if ever Hucks left   , he will take some replacing !!     that goal on Saturday   ...who else in our team  could pull that off  ? 

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]I say Alex, ding bloody dong, give a chap a chance. I suspect Robinson might have had a laugh himself at the ''fee'' and hopefully didn''t crack another rib. Besides, it''s nice to see Sheded isn''t just ''wedded'' to Huckerby. Infact, I think Sheded might be Huckerby, the guy obviously loves himself so why not post in his own favour and defence all the time?[/quote]

At no point did I say I was unhappy with us signing Robinson or for the fee we''ve paid. In fact I think he will add to the team but I don''t belive it is in the best interest of the club to have given him such a long contract. That''s my opinion - you don''t have to agree, this is a forum after all!!!

I take it the ''ding bloody dong'' is another dig at me being posh? Seeing as you have never met me and know nothing about me I guess this assumption must be made purely on the fact I have a double barrelled name! Maybe you could leave the personal remarks out of it as it''s all a bit petty and I don''t think it helps give credibility to your posts!

Alex

The likelyhood is that Robinson would not have signed anything less. It is far more complicatec that the basic tranfer fee quoted.

A couple of days ago the dimwits were all cheering the news that John Halls had been signed by S''oton for £250,000 and so what ambition did our club lack, it was all Worthington''s fault and the usual halfwitted anti NCFC stuff.

So why did Halls choose Reading not S''oton ? More money ? Certainty of being in the Premiership and a definite better contract ?

Why was the fee only 250k ? Had that been written into his original contract when joining Stoke so as to allow him to move easier and negotiate a higher wage ?

Who knows /

Certainly not us, yet this board is constantly filled up with endless drivel from spotty adolescents ever eager to find some stick to beat the club with - semi literate Herberts whose greatest chance of getting near a players contract is by walking past the Main Stand.

What I do know is that I''m grateful that the playing staff are here because of the belief they have in the club and what it is doing, rather than through any pronouncements they might have heard from some of our habitual whingers.

Top form MadDan.........GUR''N GIVE US ''ELL!........ ;~)

Robinson is a decent purchase for what Delia & Co splashed out......I thought he showed flashes of a decent player - before he got whacked in the ribs, and I personally would like to see him do well. Could Halls could have done a job for us.......possibly, maybe? Slightly overated I thought.........

Look MadDan, I respect your opinion and absolutely love the anger, so can I borrow a big stick, tube of clearasil, a ''Dickyshunnery'', and a bottle of extra strong vitriol? I''m sure you can spare one from your crate! Which one''s the Main Stand? Is it still the City? or the Jar Hold?

Keep it up fine Sir'', it''s like a breath of rancid halitosis to have you on here! Oh, and welcome back Rude Old Fokker! OTBC ;~) 

Must dash, got to flag down an ''Acne carriage'' to transport me to Ramblesville! There''s a party there at ''Halfwit House!''............ 

halls is out of contract in the summer hence the low price, he didnt sign a contract because wanted to further his career by moiving to a bigger club..... and no i wasnt cheering the move, he is just a player I rated and was available.

Beat the club up... are you the ilk whom supported chase to the last.. then when he was removed and everyone saw the state th e club was in you went oh???? didnt see that. I bet you were a hamilton fan as well... Well Iwans book showed us what was going on there.

If you cant see the poor spending/tactics hey poor management from nigel worthington... there is a saying

"There are none so blind as those who do not want to see"

there is a VERY good reason for a level of unrest in the fans that has not been around since hamilton''s dark last days.

Just because someone is in power does not mean they are doing a good job, and just because they did a good job in the past does not mean they are doing a good job now

Alex Harvey-Jones rebuked

I take it the ''ding bloody dong'' is another dig at me being posh? Seeing as you have never met me and know nothing about me I guess this assumption must be made purely on the fact I have a double barrelled name! Maybe you could leave the personal remarks out of it as it''s all a bit petty and I don''t think it helps give credibility to your posts!

Well, fetch the horse whip and give me a damn good thrashing!

Have I no credibility on this ''pissing in the dark'' notice board then? Do you think the ripening coconuts on my avatar have insufficient gravitas. I thought this was the Pink''Un Forum not Newsnight with Paxo.

I have never rearded you as posh in the marry your cousin, spank the deb, pull the champers cork out of your eye socket type way Alex but after your favourable response to my description of your car as a ''gussett flashing totty wagon'' you fairly gushed forth in acquiensence.

''Ding bloody Dong'' is pure Leslie Philips ''Carry on Doctor'' and ''Oooo I say'' territory. I had you down as a cravat wearing flashy professional. Perhaps you are so sore because you really drive a Ford Mondeo insured through ''Privelege.com'' and are more the David Brent type of ladies man.

Either way I don''t care, you could be using a pseudonym straight out of a 1970''s British Spy TV Serial because you aspire and have a class fixation or you could be using your actual name and motor piccie in which case what are you trying to say?

Try being called Rudolph Hucker!

You''re ''Sensational Alex Harvey! and should be ''BAND!''....sorry, ''fraudulent slip!''.....

With your ''double barrelled'' name........I would, (if you were a ''wizard wheeze'' of a chum) call you ''shotgun!''........But I won''t, but it''s only because I care - as you seem somewhat sensitive about your upbringing.......and I''m only an ''Oik'' who thought that ''Tweed'' was just a river in the North East......I also thought that ''euthanasia'', was ''sumfin'' to do with ''Kids in India'' and trans-vestite was a haulage firm......;~)

Chill AleX!.......enjoy the rapport......Blow me! the wind is ''gusseting between 30 to 40 knots today!

What all this has to do with the signing of Robinson........I haven''t a bleedin'' clue? Tangent?.........

PS. Council Estates are ACE! and Micky (Lotto) Carroll for Mayor!........

[quote user="Gabriel_Jacoby"]Do they still have The Lounge in Northampton? It''s been a while but i never failed to stay sober in that place!
[/quote]

Ah the lounge .... what a place!! I used to go there most weeks when at school!! In answer to your question...yes and no. The place is still there and it is still a nightclub but alas it is no longer the lounge! It''s now called HUSH and sadly it''s attempts to go upmarket have failed! Bring back the good old days of the lounge!!!

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Alex Harvey-Jones rebuked

Well, fetch the horse whip and give me a damn good thrashing!

Have I no credibility on this ''pissing in the dark'' notice board then? Do you think the ripening coconuts on my avatar have insufficient gravitas. I thought this was the Pink''Un Forum not Newsnight with Paxo.

I have never rearded you as posh in the marry your cousin, spank the deb, pull the champers cork out of your eye socket type way Alex but after your favourable response to my description of your car as a ''gussett flashing totty wagon'' you fairly gushed forth in acquiensence.

''Ding bloody Dong'' is pure Leslie Philips ''Carry on Doctor'' and ''Oooo I say'' territory. I had you down as a cravat wearing flashy professional. Perhaps you are so sore because you really drive a Ford Mondeo insured through ''Privelege.com'' and are more the David Brent type of ladies man.

Either way I don''t care, you could be using a pseudonym straight out of a 1970''s British Spy TV Serial because you aspire and have a class fixation or you could be using your actual name and motor piccie in which case what are you trying to say?

Try being called Rudolph Hucker!

[/quote]

Yep apologies - bad day at the office put me in a foul mood! The post in response to yours about the car was purely sarcastic. I drive a amall second hand Ford KA. I certainly don''t have a Lambourghini (I wish). I use it as my avatar cos I''m interested in sports car - simple as! As for the job I''m certainly not a cravat wearing flashy professional - I only left uni in the summer and am four months on in my first job!

I apologise if it sounded like I was suggsting you have no credibility on the board - I certainly didn''t mean that. However it does amaze me on the board as a whole how many people respond to a post they dislike with a personal or negative remark about the poster! I don''t feel this adds to a post!

I''m not sensitive at all about my upbringing Mello but do get slightly fed up with how many people assume a double barrelled name means posh!! Anyway calm resumed and I''m chilled now!! Hopefully I still will be at 4-45pm today!!

You miserable swine Alex, why spoil the persona when you could have lived the role. This is all far to honest you should have tried something like ''Bugger off Rudolph! You Prole, or you''ll be getting the pointy end of a bottle of bolly.

Still not too late Alex, I don, think anyone noticed.