Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Match thread - Newcastle

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

We are down!

Agreed. If we can’t win games when we’re that dominant we deserve relegation 

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

In a game we’ve been the better team by far. Farke can’t put the ball in the net himself but one of those starting 11 should have done.

He brought Emi on who was largely ineffective, so subs not always the answer

but hey, it’s easy being a keyboard fan criticising the manager who’s worked miracles to get us here and continues to do so with no money to spend 

I'm not criticising the manager. The players had plenty of opportunities to bury a poor Newcastle side and royally fluffed them all. 

Just now, hogesar said:

Great performance, nothing wrong. Just not quite happening. Pukki should have scored at least one. Too wasteful.

Not calling him the GOAT anymore...if he was the GOAT he would've put one of em away!

Just now, Fiery Zac said:

In a game we’ve been the better team by far. Farke can’t put the ball in the net himself but one of those starting 11 should have done.

He brought Emi on who was largely ineffective, so subs not always the answer

but hey, it’s easy being a keyboard fan criticising the manager who’s worked miracles to get us here and continues to do so with no money to spend 

Yes, it is entirely as black and white as that. Farke has worked miracles, has been brilliant and therefore we can't point out what we consider to be his mistakes.

Nobody is disputing how good he has been for us, but he continues to make little to no impact with any substitution, mostly, because they come on in injury time.

Cantwell was largely ineffective, so the Emi change was like for like. Rupp, Duda, Tettey were all also largely ineffective, who knows what Vrancic would have been if he'd had more than 10 seconds on the pitch...

Hugely frustrating, but if you can't win you make sure you don't lose. I know we need wins, but plenty of positives to take from today and the must win games are the ones at home. Still, with Vrancic starting perhaps today could've been different? 

I really hope Farke looks to start our remaining home games with Vrancic, Hernandez and Buendia and we just go for it a bit more. 

Edited by Il Pirata

Fair to say we won't be first on MOTD. Dreadful game between two very poor teams. Should have won at a canter.

A decent point away but not enough. We have gone backwards.

Vrancic should have started and as always Farke"s subs too little too late.

Championship awaits and we really can't complain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, anonamoose said:

Glad I'm not a newcastle fan. They were dire.

Agreed, but they're not 9 points adrift...(or how many is it now)

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Sadly, that is one of our last few remaining lives gone. Had to win today given two difficult matches coming up. A point away at this stage is not enough.

We've been down since October. Anyone thinking we still have a shot is proilonging the misery and deluding themselves. Get comfortable with the fact we're going down and there's lots to look forward to in the Champs next year. It makes Saturday afternoons so much less stressful.

3 minutes ago, anonamoose said:

Glad I'm not a newcastle fan. They were dire.

Agree. And we couldn't beat them. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Yes, it is entirely as black and white as that. Farke has worked miracles, has been brilliant and therefore we can't point out what we consider to be his mistakes.

Nobody is disputing how good he has been for us, but he continues to make little to no impact with any substitution, mostly, because they come on in injury time.

Cantwell was largely ineffective, so the Emi change was like for like. Rupp, Duda, Tettey were all also largely ineffective, who knows what Vrancic would have been if he'd had more than 10 seconds on the pitch...

This just ****ing this.

Feels like a defeat to a **** team.

12 corners and we cant convert 1. Absolutely zero composure in the box. 20 shots no goals. 2 late subs giving them no chance of making anything happen. 

Frustrated to say the least! 

Just now, kick it off said:

We've been down since October. Anyone thinking we still have a shot is proilonging the misery and deluding themselves. Get comfortable with the fact we're going down and there's lots to look forward to in the Champs next year. It makes Saturday afternoons so much less stressful.

I had Newcastle away as one of 8 remaining games we could possibly win. Yet, we can't put our chances away. I'm looking forward to new players next year anyway. Want to see us put together a strong Championship campaign right from the start.

Do we need to talk about Teemu?

Lacking the crispness of finishing for the last 2 months really, which is really surprising given how good we know he is.

Love how some people are like “O think we might be going down”

uhh, yeah, I think you are right

we aren’t going to survive. We weren’t going to survive a month ago. We are down. Learn to love it. This league is a joke and we’ll be better off out of it. You want to cruise along mid table and see football like Newcastle every week?

• Like 1

Not good enough today and its hard to see us surviving in this league and to be honest when we go down there will be a massive sell out  

Just now, Mason 47 said:

Do we need to talk about Teemu?

Lacking the crispness of finishing for the last 2 months really, which is really surprising given how good we know he is.

He’s blatantly injured 

when we are mathematically relegated they will announce surgery for him. Guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

with Vrancic starting perhaps today could've been different? 

True, we could’ve lost, as he’s far less likely to have won the headers that McLean did to clear away from goal, or be strong enough to hold off the mountains Newcastle have in midfield and attack.

Lets be clear, Mclean was not the reason we didn’t win but was a big reason we didn’t lose. 

We didn’t need Vrancic to create chances as we did that anyway. It was the finishing that was the problem

• Like 1

Too much reliance on Pukki, but when he'snot firing we need to give others a chance. Farke puts too much faith in his starting 11 every game, but omg make some f*cking substitutions to try and change a game!

Don't get the Emi love-in. He came on and promptly spent his time on his ar se waving his hands in the air. a show pony that offers little at this level

Hard to know what the answer is. Once again we have been the better team yet not won the match. More often than not when I have watched the team this season we have been the better team. It's not often you can say that and be bottom of the league (unless you're deluded). At least today we kept a clean sheet and looked prtty solid defensively.

There were a couple of chances today that really should have been goals at this level.

I just hope the way we are playing is an engrained thing at the club which will survive despite relegation, player and managerial changes. I think what's been built is the right long-term blue-print, it's just hard to know how to make those tweaks. 

So many games this season the margins have been fine and it feels like only marginal changes could turn draws into wins and losses into draws. What the answer is though I dont know. Clearly the club didnt feel January investment was it, and they're probably right

It’s just so frustrating. How are we where we are. We’ve dominated teams like we did Newcastle on so many occasions and got **** all to show for it. Unbelievable really

• Like 1

Just now, baldy09 said:

Are the fans losing faith with Farke 

Nope 

• Like 1

Just now, sonyc said:

I had Newcastle away as one of 8 remaining games we could possibly win. Yet, we can't put our chances away. I'm looking forward to new players next year anyway. Want to see us put together a strong Championship campaign right from the start.

We've won 4 all season, and that was with a bang in form Pukki. Quite why anyone thinks we can win 8 of the last 13 or whatever with a misfiring Pukki is utterly beyond me. As is why anyone would even want to stay up. **** league, with 6 good teams who are the only ones who can win anything and 14 **** teams setting up not lose most weeks and a fair few of them playing hoofball to do it (not to mention corrupt VAR shafting us every week - how that tackle today was a yellow for Bentaleb when it was almost carbon copy of Godfrey - studs up, lunging, out of control....  of course VAR doesn't overturn that and send him off though).

Bring on the Champs - can't come soon enough. It may not be full of superstars, but it's an honest league with proper fans not plastic tossers and **** refs who are genuinely just a bit ****, instead of still somehow being **** despite a world of technology available to help them.

I think many here are focusing too much on the subs and their timing - we simply aren't good enough I'm afraid, whoever we bring on and whatever time they come on.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap