Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Match thread - Newcastle

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

Drmic orĀ Idah (if he wasn't let out on loan). Obvious.

I believe that would be the very definition of waving the white flag

Ā 

lots of players play on with injuries. Itā€™s managed but heā€™s clearly carrying an injury that has knocked him.

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Is he going through a sticky patch? He had that 8 game goalless run but has scored 5 in his last 11.

The problem is that last season he was in ridiculous form - everything he touched turned to gold. That was never going to last. 5 in 11, 11 in 24. Youā€™d take that every time in the prem (especially for a bottom half side).Ā 

Yes they are good scoring stats if others were also chipping in with the goals. Unfortunately for us and him we are completely dependent on him finding the net every game. Iā€™m baffled as to how such a free scoring team as last seasons has got to this. We should have won today and unfortunately the reason we havenā€™t is that Pukki didnā€™t take a chance.Ā 

Just now, The Real Buh said:

I believe that would be the very definition of waving the white flag

Ā 

lots of players play on with injuries. Itā€™s managed but heā€™s clearly carrying an injury that has knocked him.

Keep repeating the same things which aren'tĀ working IS the definition of giving up.

I'm fed up of hearing match after match on radio, on MOTD or wherever -Ā 'Pukki you'd expect to score from there'. We need a different option.Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Keep repeating the same things which aren'tĀ working IS the definition of giving up.

I'm fed up of hearing match after match on radio, on MOTD or wherever -Ā 'Pukki you'd expect to score from there'. We need a different option.Ā 

Itā€™s no different from when Harry Kane is out at spurs. Itā€™s just the way it is.

12 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

What I meanĀ is goalies know whatĀ he's going to do with a 1 on 1. He alsoĀ had thatĀ opportunity to strike when theirĀ goalieĀ was strandedĀ - but obviouslyĀ lacked the confidence to attempt it. He needs a rest.

Like who exactly?Ā Drmic is woeful unless he is 1 metre out an open goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JF said:

Yes they are good scoring stats if others were also chipping in with the goals. Unfortunately for us and him we are completely dependent on him finding the net every game. Iā€™m baffled as to how such a free scoring team as last seasons has got to this. We should have won today and unfortunately the reason we havenā€™t is that Pukki didnā€™t take a chance.Ā 

Agree with that but thatā€™s not Pukkiā€™s fault. I think the problem is down to a lack of quality, simple as that. Those who scored more freely last year arenā€™t good enough to do so in the prem. Also as the defensive side finds it harder in the prem there is also probably a bit of a shift in mindset to try and make things more solid.

One pundit a few years ago (I canā€™t remember who) said goal difference is usually a good indicator of where a team will actually end up. If youā€™re bottom after 10 games with a decent goal difference, chances are youā€™ve been unlucky in some close games and it will come good. If youā€™re 3rd after 10 games with a goal difference of +3Ā youā€™ve probably scraped a few wins without being that good. Our goal difference is miles worse than everyone elseā€™s and that to me suggests there is absolutely nothing false or unlucky in our league position.Ā 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So why didn't we sell him in January as it makes no sense to keep a player if you think they are not good enough to play?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

So why didn't we sell him in January as it makes no sense to keep a player if you think they are not good enough to play?

>implying all players can be instantly sold to some mystery club because they are judged as being not good enough

19 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Drmic orĀ Idah (if he wasn't let out on loan). Obvious.

Sorry, the idea of dropping Pukki for Drmic or Idah is laughable.Ā 

Drmic in a game or two perhaps, but his fitness is more than suspect. Idah is no where near ready.Ā 

Poor form or not, Pukki is the last player I'd drop. Most of the chances he gets come from his own intelligent movement. He almost makes it easy for Buendia and Duda to find him.Ā 

Pukki is a class act, and I love watching him play for us.Ā 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Harsh, and not true. A class player in there, if fitness allows.Ā 

• Haha 1

Having Teemu on the pitch generally is our best chances of getting points; unfortunately he is missing very presentable chances every game recently. Be this as a result of injury or justĀ poor form, every player in our squad is subject to rotation and that should include TP.

Drmic is just as likely to do nothing as he is to come in knowing that he absolutely has to score his chances to stay in the side. It can't be dismissed out-of-hand.

Ā 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

If you have the choice of injured out of form Pukki and Drimic I think you know what the majorityĀ will go for

Don't get me wrong I like Pukki - but I alsoĀ likeĀ other players that come and go out of favour. Us 'fans' often have favourites thatĀ can do no wrong and others that can do no right. I am wondering sometimes if it'sĀ true of Farke as well. Very pleased that Hanley is seen to be doing so well now - by way of example!

The frank truth is that we need to change something or play differently. We need to know how to plunder goalsĀ even against the run of the playĀ (not always because of it!). Sharpen up!

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Don't get me wrong I like Pukki - but I alsoĀ likeĀ other players that come and go out of favour. Us 'fans' often have favourites thatĀ can do no wrong and others that can do no right. I am wondering sometimes if it'sĀ true of Farke as well. Very pleased that Hanley is seen to be doing so well now - by way of example!

The frank truth is that we need to change something or play differently. We need to know how to plunder goalsĀ even against the run of the playĀ (not always because of it!). Sharpen up!

I know! I reckon if we donā€™t change things we might go down yā€™know

Ā 

#worryingtimes šŸ˜§Ā 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

>implying all players can be instantly sold to some mystery club because they are judged as being not good enough

So what is the purpose of Drmic if he is not good enough to play?

Just now, Rock The Boat said:

So what is the purpose of Drmic if he is not good enough to play?

Gotta fill up the official calendar somehow, donā€™t we?

Pukki has missed a fair few chances recently, but he's still in double figures for a team that's bottom of the league. If he's still troubled by his injury, he's got a clear fortnight with no international break to freshen up. He's the best striker at the club by a distance, and must play as often as he can while he's fit. I'm sure Drmic would make more of a contribution if he was given a run of games, or even longer sub appearances, but Pukki is our number-one striker and rightly so.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Pukki has missed a fair few chances recently, but he's still in double figures for a team that's bottom of the league. If he's still troubled by his injury, he's got a clear fortnight with no international break to freshen up. He's the best striker at the club by a distance, and must play as often as he can while he's fit. I'm sure Drmic would make more of a contribution if he was given a run of games, or even longer sub appearances, but Pukki is our number-one striker and rightly so.

MightĀ agree but if Pukki hadn't missed 'a fair fewĀ chances recently'Ā  would we stillĀ be bottom of league? Possibly not.

If we had other options - or had the midfielders scoring that might help as well.

Ā 

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Play them both. Pukki started out with us playing on the left side and I see no issue with him doing that again with Drmic in the middle. It would mean leaving out Cantwell or Hernandez, but Pukki is a great hold up player and can link play as good as any midfielder - and he can score from there too.Ā  It's worth a try imo.

Ā 

• Like 2

Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Play them both. Pukki started out with us playing on the left side and I see no issue with him doing that again with Drmic in the middle. It would mean leaving out Cantwell or Hernandez, but Pukki is a great hold up player and can link play as good as any midfielder - and he can score from there too.Ā  It's worth a try imo.

Moving Pukki to the left wing? OK boomer.

It's how he started with us when we played Jordan Rhodes in the middle in the first few games last season. In fact his first goal for us was cutting in from the left hand side against Preston.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's how he started with us when we played Jordan Rhodes in the middle in the first few games last season. In fact his first goal for us was cutting in from the left hand side against Preston.

Ā 

Yes - and it's not as if we are currently scoringĀ many (or any) goals from conventional winger crosses!

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

Jake Humphrey just sent tweet reminding us weveĀ only lost 2 in last 8. GivenĀ they were Man U and Tottenham our recent form is pretty good.

Thats probably the most frustrating thing we are so close to making a go of things. Just a couple of fluke goals in a couple of games and weā€™d be in such a better position

I feel pretty confident that if the season started again now weā€™d stay up. Weā€™ve got to grips with things recently and are the better side in most of our games but I think weā€™ve left ourselves too much to do.Ā 
Ā 

if Pukki hadnā€™t Ā forgotten how to score since his toe injury or Byram had taken a couple of the crucial chances that have fallen his way then it could be different.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I feel pretty confident that if the season started again now weā€™d stay up. Weā€™ve got to grips with things recently and are the better side in most of our games but I think weā€™ve left ourselves too much to do.Ā 
Ā 

if Pukki hadnā€™t Ā forgotten how to score since his toe injury or Byram had taken a couple of the crucial chances that have fallen his way then it could be different.Ā 

Playing ok but lack of a back up up front, one of the areas that will cost us our premiership status.Ā 

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ā 

He played as a number 10 vs Brimingham on the opening day

38 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Ā 

Think its a bit harsh on Byram. I'm actually thinking its a shame Srebny was sold. I think he's a far better option than Drmic or Idah at this level. He';s had few chances, but scored his goal against Everton very well.

We play 3 attacking midfielders behind Pukki. Apart from Cantwell, none of them all season have taken any pressure off Pukki to get the goals, so the blame should be put here. Ā 

• Like 1

In my mind, we're missing the Stiepermann of last season. He not only gave us good aerial presence in the final third, he linked really well with the likes of Pukki and Buendia etc. The problem is that he has been pretty dire this season when used, and we don't have a vaguely similar player on the books tbh.

Pukki is struggling with finishing atm, but is also getting weak supply, with us taking far too long to try to play him in.

We're also missing the creativity of someone like Vrancic in the middle, as Duda has been relatively tidy, but isn't constantly looking for the killer pass like Vrancic does (again, not saying Duda has been poor).

Cantwell had another of his weaker displays in my view, he does struggle for pace and sometimes tries to do too much (like Buendia at times), and I do think the pace and directness of Hernandez may work better against some teams.

• Like 1