Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Match thread - Newcastle

Really disappointed Vrancic isn’t starting😢

with the adding of Rupp I think we have enough strength in midfield to sacrifice mcclean for Vrancic 

Yeah think Vrancic deserved a start after last week's performance.  If that didn't get him a start -what would? He must be disappointed. We won't get that level of performance out of McLean or Tettey. 

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...still maintain McLean has something on Farke...prove me wrong

I reckon it's more likely Mario has an inkling of something in him that Farke doesn't like.

2 minutes ago, Renskay said:

I reckon it's more likely Mario has an inkling of something in him that Farke doesn't like.

He's a hard man to please for sure.

I agree that Mario has much more to offer than The Mayor, but we need to be solid more than anything - creativity isn't our problem. I've seen Vrancic bypassed too often, & that loses us games. Could we play him further forward? I don't think he's as effective from there. It's a problem.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Looks like a team to cope with the initial onslaught. let's hope Daniel uses his subs this week ...

That makes some sense, but Vrancic scored at Leeds away in the first few minutes last season because of his class. He was on top form last week and simply owned the pitch when he had the ball. Utterly brilliant. I don't think you should leave a player in that kind of form and who has that kind of class on the bench...but....in Farke and the other players we trust - I just hope he gets on the pitch with enough time to show what he can do.  We've had several free kicks this season that have just been wasted - have we scored from a direct free kick yet? Vrancic would soon change that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Hope Vrancic gets more than ten minutes......

Should have started for me. Earnt his place. Without him and Emi we lack creativity with that starting line up. We have nothing to lose. 

A bit disappointed that neither Vrancic nor Buendia have started. I can understand the case for being a bit forward heavy with both on at the same time but surely with Rupp in for Buendia that frees up the central midfield role? And after McLean's exploits further afield in the number 10 spot in recent games, I'm no longer convinced the CM role is his best position.

I don't doubt that if we are losing, Farke won't be afraid to make early substitutions with both coming on around the 60 minute mark - or even earlier depending on our position. Where I do have doubts is if we are 1-0 up, or drawing, Farke may dither in making a proactive substitution to freshen things up and it may cause the momentum to shift as so often seems to be the case.

I hope I'm wrong but are we setting up in fear of Newcastle instead of taking the game to them?

We have to win. I don't care if its 1:0 or 5:4 to us.

We need creativity and incisiveness. That's what Vrancic does.

• Like 1

We'll if it starts to go pear shaped we have the quality on the bench to turn the game around.

But the big questions are will Farke realise it's going pear shape and if he does notice it will he do anything about before it's too late.

We will see.

• Like 1

Although a big fan of Vrancic, i can see why DF has not started with him . Newcastle will almost certainly come at us from the off and have some real pace in their team , not one of Marios fortes' , dealing with runs from deep. ....both maxima and almiron do this. 

• Like 1

This is the season right here. If we win today then survival is possible; anything else and relegation awaits. I'm not being negative or blaming anyone in particular. We've probably picked up fewer points than our performances have deserved. We probably could have recruited better. We've definitely been unlucky with injuries. I've still enjoyed it and will continue to do so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Farke explained why Emi doest start in the Presser,  returning from injury not 100% ,won't risk him unless needed. 

I didn't hear him say that in the press conference & have just reread the live tweets from ncfc & Archant journos. He said Emi has been back in full training since Wed & was in contention today.  Nothing about him not being risked today or not being 100% unless Ive missed it ??

Ducking hell! Newcastle’s players look like absolute units in the tunnel. I hope we’re not going to be bullied out of this 

Disappointed with no Vrancic, Hernandez or Buendia.

I feel like a broken record of late.. but that starting eleven lacks any real pace or directness. It oozes slow build up play, no physicality and general predictability. 

Here's hoping.... OTBC. 

Edited by Il Pirata

Just now, Diane said:

I didn't hear him say that in the press conference & have just reread the live tweets from ncfc & Archant journos. He said Emi has been back in full training since Wed & was in contention today.  Nothing about him not being risked today or not being 100% unless Ive missed it ??

Ooops! i'm sure thats what i heard, listened to a podcast of the presser in the bath this morning. thought he said that after the lay off though not injured any more was not , obv , match fit. Could have had Shampoo in my ears though, so apologies all round if im spreading false info.

Disappointed no Vrancic starting, would have dropped McClean.....just me though.....come on City...little miracle step one.